PDA

View Full Version : Interface needs serious upgrade....

lostmantech
07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey,

I know that the demo at E3 was a developmental piece, so I am just throwing this out there, hopefully it has already been addressed. However, in the playable demo, the interface for in game looked terrible. For a game with graphics so beautiful, the interface needs to look twenty times better. Like I said maybe they just threw that together, but if not, it is unacceptable. For such an awesome game, I just want it to look as polished as possible.

That gigantic bar on the left top of the screen screams fugly, the button options need to look way prettier and I don't even know what the sword thing on the bottom left is. The HUD takes up some serious real estate on screen, and since the graphics are sick, I want to see more of them, less of interface.

Just throwing this out there on a chance that, it might already be addressed and this post is pointless, or it was final and someone reads this that can make a difference before the game is released.

Just looking out. Hope some of you agree.

-Lost

Robbinho1992
07-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, they need to be there (aprt from really the D-Pad, which you will toogle off i suspect becuase its just helping you to pick the buttons.
The mini map is needed to direct you in some way, and like i said the top left is needed (Health/If guards can see you), but could be made smaller.

I wouldnt care less if the HUD looked absouluty bad, i would just paly the game, blanking the parts out my mind.

And not directed at you, to evryone latly, Stop moaning about the game....theya re gamers, they'll figure out what will work.

DNBProductions
07-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Less is more.

The less interface there is the more simplistic, userfriendly and attractive the title looks.

I dont understand the difficulty.

Need a health bar without the bar? Have the screen vissually distort when low on health, or have a slight hue of a different color or just have the character vissually hurt.

Need a targeting system without the targeting device? Have the character physically have his head looking at the character, use the camera to skew towards the focused character, depth of field effects, small graphical clues.

Need a weapon selector? Just let the user know that <- selects this -> selects that, up selects this and so on. Dont need to display it all the time.

Need an ammo counter? Have it vissually show. Have a throwing knife pouch appear vissually thinner on the character or the arrows in the quiver become less and less with every shot.

Need the character to be able to differ character from other character? Make the user have to look closely at who is who. Make visual cues on the character itself (necklace, scarf, robe, ect.) that lets the character know, hey that person is poor or hey that person wants to kill me. (The HD models in the game are beautiful and dont need a giant glowing color around them to tell them apart.)

I hate when developers arent smart about UI and just throw in things that make it easier to code and create. . .

Lordgrunty11
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I really hope there is an option to take off the entire hud, because once you get used to it you don't need the button functions, the weapon select, I'm not gonna use the mini-map anyway because it will be more realistic to have to find where I need to go, and the health/awareness meter will be more fun to not have because you will always have to be looking around seeing if someone is on to you.

lostmantech
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I absolutely agree that these things are needed. 100% behind you on that point. I also agree that I will also block it out if its bad and it won't hinder my gaming experience either.(I'm definitely buying it no matter what.)

However, this is a game which has caused major hype, looks to live up to it, and because we have seen game play and such....all we can go on is what we see on the internet. I can understand how people are sick of others criticizing it, but the couple of posts I have read have been constructive criticism, which can only help improve the game.

I know they are professionals, from what I have seen they obviously are great at what they do. Just some details can be overlooked, lost in the big picture, or forgotten and it is a good thing for people like us to critique in a positive way. Worst case scenario, they read these posts,put some extra thought into it, and ignore it. Either way it is great to throw ideas out there. All that bothers me when people critique is when they do they sound unintelligent, ineloquent, and don't offer any help whatsoever.

Alright, enjoy the game!
-Lost

DNBProductions
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Lordgrunty11:
I really hope there is an option to take off the entire hud, because once you get used to it you don't need the button functions, the weapon select, I'm not gonna use the mini-map anyway because it will be more realistic to have to find where I need to go, and the health/awareness meter will be more fun to not have because you will always have to be looking around seeing if someone is on to you.

Yea, or have audio cues that lets you know if you are about to get spotted or are being chased and if you are free.

Splinter Cell did it really well, with the music getting more and more dramatic when you are getting close to an enemy ect.

lostmantech
07-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DNBProductions:
Less is more.

The less interface there is the more simplistic, userfriendly and attractive the title looks.

Need a health bar without the bar? Have the screen vissually distort when low on health, or have a slight hue of a different color or just have the character vissually hurt.

Need a targeting system without the targeting device? Have the character physically have his head looking at the character, use the camera to skew towards the focused character, depth of field effects, small graphical clues.

Need a weapon selector? Just let the user know that <- selects this -> selects that, up selects this and so on. Dont need to display it all the time.

Need an ammo counter? Have it vissually show. Have a throwing knife pouch appear vissually thinner on the character or the arrows in the quiver become less and less with every shot.

Need the character to be able to differ character from other character? Make the user have to look closely at who is who. Make visual cues on the character itself (necklace, scarf, robe, ect.) that lets the character know, hey that person is poor or hey that person wants to kill me. (The HD models in the game are beautiful and dont need a giant glowing color around them to tell them apart.)

I hate when developers arent smart about UI and just throw in things that make it easier to code and create. . .

couldn't have said it better myself. that is exactly the kind of thing that changes a game from great to untouchable.

DNBProductions
07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lostmantech:
couldn't have said it better myself. that is exactly the kind of thing that changes a game from great to untouchable.

Thanks.

It always annoyed me when people would complain, "But I need an ammo counter! What if I run out of ammo!"

Then that'd be sweet being charged at by a creature only to realise you are out.

Robbinho1992
07-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Ok, i actually agree...but i think toggleable should be the option, not changing, so you can decide what you want on screen.

lostmantech
07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Then that'd be sweet being charged at by a creature only to realize you are out.

Haha, yeah. I agree it is all about the experience, and I just don't want to be taken out of that experience by something, that probably isn't really that hard to pull off. I also agree with your post about the targeting system, subtle or follow the head works fine. If anything, that little arrow works even better because it can be argued that it follows the old school, medieval style or simplicity.

They ultimately will probably do a UI, but it would be refreshing to see this game without one.

lostmantech
07-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Robbinho1992:
Ok, i actually agree...but i think toggleable should be the option, not changing, so you can decide what you want on screen.

of course, the more options the better.

Ti.llama
07-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by lostmantech:
Hey,

I know that the demo at E3 was a developmental piece, so I am just throwing this out there, hopefully it has already been addressed. However, in the playable demo, the interface for in game looked terrible. For a game with graphics so beautiful, the interface needs to look twenty times better. Like I said maybe they just threw that together, but if not, it is unacceptable. For such an awesome game, I just want it to look as polished as possible.

That gigantic bar on the left top of the screen screams fugly, the button options need to look way prettier and I don't even know what the sword thing on the bottom left is. The HUD takes up some serious real estate on screen, and since the graphics are sick, I want to see more of them, less of interface.

Just throwing this out there on a chance that, it might already be addressed and this post is pointless, or it was final and someone reads this that can make a difference before the game is released.

Just looking out. Hope some of you agree.

-Lost

As much as I agree with some of your concerns, I think it's time to face the fact that UBI needs to include certain features like the glow-N-the-Dark targeting system because so many of the teens that will buy and play this game are strung out on Adderall and lack the basic skills of normal human beings- who have the unfair advantage because we can concentrate and focus.

While some of 'us' potential UBI customers consider the "glowing targets" as an Assassin's Creed for Dummies, UBI has to address the reality that many of it's customers are mentally impaired.

In that light, I congratulate you cripples for lowering the overall quality and experience of this game so that it might be as rewarding for you to play as Mario Party and SpiderMan.

Robbinho1992
07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
You really dont sound nice. The people arnt ******s, they just dont really care if its there or if it isnt, and like i said, make it toggle-able so that the "******s" can have there version and the other "Non-******s" can have it there way.

Saying people are mentally imparied isnt nice seeing as you really dont know who the hell you are talking about, many people could be as samrt as you, just have a different opion, and im sure in a rite some where, people have the rite to there opinion and what they want.

SmokehtheFirst
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I really wish you whiny ******s would stop complaining about the game. It looks fine. Calm the hell down.

SCARFACE_47
07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
i allways loved those little bars in hitman and splintercell
USE THEM UBISOFT!!

DNBProductions
07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:
I really wish you whiny ******s would stop complaining about the game. It looks fine. Calm the hell down.

Way to shoot for improvements.

Ti.llama
07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
You really dont sound nice. The people arnt ******s, they just dont really care if its there or if it isnt, and like i said, make it toggle-able so that the "******s" can have there version and the other "Non-******s" can have it there way.

Saying people are mentally imparied isnt nice seeing as you really dont know who the hell you are talking about, many people could be as samrt as you, just have a different opion, and im sure in a rite some where, people have the rite to there opinion and what they want.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things. My Bad.

I'm just frustrated that some people think it's whining to criticize anything about this game. I think the targeting system is indefensible.

I don't really see how someone can say that the introduction of the 'matrix-esque' targeting system has made this game better.

-llama

SCARFACE_47
07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
i love the lock on system
only the hud is like sin city and smokin aces; good but could be better

SmokehtheFirst
07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
It's whining because you're complaining about how YOU yourself want the game to be, and it has to be THIS way and that must be like THIS, or you won't buy it. If you can go out and make a better video game, I'll take back what I've said, but if you can't, stop the stupid complaining.

DNBProductions
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM
It's whining because you're complaining about how YOU yourself want the game to be, and it has to be THIS way and that must be like THIS, or you won't buy it. If you can go out and make a better video game, I'll take back what I've said, but if you can't, stop the stupid complaining.

My current job as of now is being a tester for a pretty big game company.

So at my job I shouldn't be allowed to say, "Hey this is not right" or "This should be like this" because I haven't made a game before?

Huh?

Seriously if it wasn't for us testers (Average gamers/casual gamers) that tell the developers, "Uhhh wtf?" or "This is broken" all the games you love would be complete ****.

Ti.llama
07-23-2007, 03:14 PM

First, I never said that I definitely will not buy this game. So you're being presumptuous there.

Second, you are the one whining , wanting all the post to stop being critical about certain parts of the game.

Third, It's the stupidest thing ever to suggest that only game developers have the right to criticize a game. Based off your reasoning, I guess only movie makers have the right to criticize movies and only Presidents have the right to be critical of other Presidents.

So Yea, Stop your Whining and accept that some people are making the case for changes to the game.

Or, you can start trying to explain why the targeting systems is an improvement from the past demo's we have seen.

moqqy
07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Ti.llama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:

First, I never said that I definitely will not by this game. So you're being presumptuous there.

Second, you are the one whining , wanting all the post to stop being critical about certain parts of the game.

Third, It's the stupidest thing ever to suggest that only game developers have the right to criticize a game. Based off your reasoning, I guess only movie makers have the right to criticize movies and only Presidents have the right to be critical of other Presidents.

So Yea, Stop your Whining and accept that some people are making the case for changes to the game.

Or, you can start trying to explain why the targeting systems is an improvement from the past demo's we have seen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tillama got a point here. Of course he says how he wants the game to be.. why shouldnt he?

SmokehtheFirst
07-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I suppose I should just assume from now on that most gamers are 13 years old. Alrighty then.

ocataco
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by DNBProductions:
Less is more.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

for once, i want a game that the character himself looks at people to target them, or the ammo he's carrying actually goes away instead of some huge bar in your way.

sladevi
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM

I suppose I should just assume from now on that most gamers are 13 years old. Alrighty then.
lol

You might as well assume that; you can add it to the list of incorrect assumptions you already have =)

It's hard to argue against you, since Ti.llama made such good arguments already and you didn't counter them at all.... However, the best games are the result of developers listening to gamer feedback. I've seen many games that started with a great idea but then lost track of what the gamers really wanted and so ended up mediocre. Afterall, who are games for? They are for gamers, so shouldn't the opinions of gamers matter? As has been said already, it's small things like this that can help bump up a game like this from a score of 8/10 or so to up there with the best games of the year or of all time or whatnot.

Back on topic: I agree with some of the things that have been said, especially "less is more". I guess they may be incorporating the futuristic stuff or whatever, but it can go a long way for the immersion factor, and thus the overall enjoyment of the game, to have a very small, non-obtrusive UI. Unfortunately, my guess is that it's too late for much change to the UI at this late stage of development, but who knows. Hopefully they have options to customize the interface.

SmokehtheFirst
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't feel the need to argue over the internet past a certain point, which I already crossed.

I think I heard somewhere that certain aspects of the UI can be turned on/off via the options menu.

sladevi
07-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't feel the need to argue over the internet past a certain point, which I already crossed.

I think I heard somewhere that certain aspects of the UI can be turned on/off via the options menu.
Ahh, I see, so you like to make a point and insult people and then not back up your point at all when it gets shot down? Now I understand. Seriously though, that's what a forum like this is about, debating and discussing aspects of the game.

Back on topic: If they said that certain aspects can be turned on and off, then that's good to know. If that's true for at least one part of the UI, then we know at least they've given it a good bit of thought. Many games don't even have any options like that at all.

SmokehtheFirst
07-24-2007, 01:08 AM
No, it's not about debating; SORRY if I feel that the game is fine and isn't in NEED of change.

I haven't insulted anyone. You guys stated your views, so I stated mine.

And yes, I hope they can be turned on/off as well, in case you need it here, but you don't need it there.. and it'll calm some of you down, lol.

Boromir323
07-24-2007, 01:23 AM
No, it's not about debating; SORRY if I feel that the game is fine and isn't in NEED of change.

I haven't insulted anyone. You guys stated your views, so I stated mine.

And yes, I hope they can be turned on/off as well, in case you need it here, but you don't need it there.. and it'll calm some of you down, lol.

Yeah I hope you can turn the UI off, I like the idea of being able to play a game with no UI. It would probably be more immersing.

SmokehtheFirst
07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree... I think I'd use it for gameplay, but if I wanted to roleplay or just mess around or something, I'd turn it off.

the_assassin_07
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Exactly then people who like it can put it on and people who don't can do the oppisite, I really hope that they do that.
------------------------------
-You can't escape the Assassin-