PDA

View Full Version : Higher, Lower, Power, WAVE-OFF, WAVE-OFF!!!

Col_Tibbetts
01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey folks,

I realize that with today's tech that creating a realistic LSO standing on the carrier deck is impractical. Also I realize that the LSO in CFS2, while effective, is very unrealistic and stupid looking.

However why can't we have the LSO on the radio guiding us down the glideslope to the deck? I am assuming that in reality the LSO was on the radio with the approaching pilot as well as visually working his flags? Simple radio calls work very well in LOMAC and I find them very helpful on final to the Kuznetsov.

Since other sims have done this I assume that it wouldn't be to hard to implement.

I will post this in the ready room in case Oleg only looks there.

Col. Tibbetts

Col_Tibbetts
01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey folks,

I realize that with today's tech that creating a realistic LSO standing on the carrier deck is impractical. Also I realize that the LSO in CFS2, while effective, is very unrealistic and stupid looking.

However why can't we have the LSO on the radio guiding us down the glideslope to the deck? I am assuming that in reality the LSO was on the radio with the approaching pilot as well as visually working his flags? Simple radio calls work very well in LOMAC and I find them very helpful on final to the Kuznetsov.

Since other sims have done this I assume that it wouldn't be to hard to implement.

I will post this in the ready room in case Oleg only looks there.

Col. Tibbetts

BSS_Goat
01-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I must say this is a very good idea.(IMHO of course.)

Jungmann
01-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Nope. TTBOMM, WWII LSOs had no radio link with landing planes. Only paddles--his input was strictly visual. Radio came later--maybe the 50s.

Agree on the cheesieness of the CFS2 LSO--besides, his input was always way late and wrong. Outside of a little 5 pixel guy to the left of the arrestor wires, I don't know how we'd get an LSO into PF. Anyway, if you do roll it into a ball (as I often do), at least you don't actually burst into flames and die.

Cheers,

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-03-2005, 12:11 PM
There can be a sort of Quasi-LSO. Make a simple directional box with lights and arrows or something to indicate higher, lower, left, right, faster, slower, in the slot, wave off.

TB