PDA

View Full Version : Mig-3 tips?

KrasniyYastreb
07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I have recently decided to give the Mig-3 a try, having flown the Yak-1 previously. After I got over the extreme ugliness of the aircraft(no comparison to the bautiful clean lines of the yak), it seems it is not so bad after all.

A few impressions:
Good:
Its much better in a dive. The control surfaces stay on and I can keep up with a -190. It climbs faster than the Yak, and also has better acceleration. Along the same lines seems to retain energy a bit better in high-g maneuvers. (must be the engine) Doesn't overheat easily as long as yuo don't take engine hits.

Bad: Turn performance - no comparison. Nasty spin tendencies. Weaker armament. Its a flying lighter, and if it doesn't light - engine is much more fragile. Oh yeah, and flight controls are easy to lose.

Now I'd appreciate some tips to help me fly well in this bird. What is the range of best maneuvering speed? Climb speed? Which tactics to predominantly use(against german A/C especially)? It would seem like staying up high is the best idea, but most fights online are above the trees. Is it worth going down there at all?

Thanks.

KrasniyYastreb
07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I have recently decided to give the Mig-3 a try, having flown the Yak-1 previously. After I got over the extreme ugliness of the aircraft(no comparison to the bautiful clean lines of the yak), it seems it is not so bad after all.

A few impressions:
Good:
Its much better in a dive. The control surfaces stay on and I can keep up with a -190. It climbs faster than the Yak, and also has better acceleration. Along the same lines seems to retain energy a bit better in high-g maneuvers. (must be the engine) Doesn't overheat easily as long as yuo don't take engine hits.

Bad: Turn performance - no comparison. Nasty spin tendencies. Weaker armament. Its a flying lighter, and if it doesn't light - engine is much more fragile. Oh yeah, and flight controls are easy to lose.

Now I'd appreciate some tips to help me fly well in this bird. What is the range of best maneuvering speed? Climb speed? Which tactics to predominantly use(against german A/C especially)? It would seem like staying up high is the best idea, but most fights online are above the trees. Is it worth going down there at all?

Thanks.

Heliopause
07-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Practise...practise...practise...etc.

VF-29_Sandman
07-26-2005, 04:06 PM
there are 2 versions of the mig-3 with the 2x20mm cannon setup. was designed to be a high altitude interceptor, and for 1941 standards, the fastest 1 in the soviet inventory. u would be much better off using ur speed to ur advantage, and getting up high. the higher u go in this bird, the better, and then u'll have a bit better manuverability than at low alt. it's also a short range fighter, so u wont have much loiter time. the 20mm cannon version wont have much ammo, so make the shots count; but what u do hit will be devastating. also note that this plane has a high landing speed. much higher than the yak's or the 'bat plane' la's.

LEXX_Luthor
07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
The internet's largest, and only, MiG~3 website ~> http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3.html Czech it out

They talk about MiG-3 not working well in the low altitude dogfight. MiG-3 was the equivalent of Nakajima Ki-44 and Lockheed P-38(tm) which were originally created to be high altitude high speed strategic interceptors. Treat it as such.

3.JG51_BigBear
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
The Mig-3 is a great airplane and makes an excellent match to the Bf109Es and Fs. I only fly the Mig-3 and the Mig-3ud and sometimes the model with the two 20MM cannon, the others are basically prototypes that showed up in relative small numbers.

I like to fly the Mig like a Focke Wulf. Gain altitude and dive on opponenets. You need to be careful in high speed attacks in the Mig because it will hold up better than a Yak but it still isn't nearly as sturdy as German or American planes of the same era. Make use of high yo-yos.

If you stick to the production Mig-3 models you have to be very careful with your ammo. Don't spray and pray, hold fire until you're right up the other guys tail pipe. I hold fire unless its a zero deflection shot because the Mig-3 has the power to catch up with an opponent again, unlike a Yak in which I would use more deflection shooting because the plane doesn't have the speed/high speed handling to make multiple high speed passes on a target.

The engine takes a while to overheat but once it does take care of it immediately. The Mig's engine, especially the early models, don't last long once they overheat.

Landing is a pain and be careful about following German fighters into dives. The Mig is much better than the Yak but it still can't truly follow a 109.

Tully__
07-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Stay fast, stay high. It should turn well at high speed, but don't try sustained turns. I haven't flown it for a couple of versions so I'm a bit out of touch.

TheCrux
07-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Like 'Big Bear' says, fly it like a '190. Speed, swoop, do lots of yo-yo's ( IMO, you can recoup speed faster after losing it than you can in an Fw190 )

I think it's a great flying airplane. The unremarkable turn rate isn't all that bad, and in any case it's not an issue since I really don't fly like that anyhow ( even in good turning planes like the 109F/G-2 ).

The armament is barely adequate against other fighter, but it sure teaches you to shoot properly. (If you can down planes with this armament...you can kill ANYthing ) The 20mm Shvak equipped corrects this and has a decent amount of ammo ( more than the palry few "Brrrrrt! Brrrrt!'s you'll get out of the Yak )

If you don't consider it cheating to use it, The MiG 3U is a fantastic all-around ride.

Yeah yeah, don't get hit. Well..don't get hit in ANY plane. You get hit you're doing something wrong anyway.

Ugly? Get outta' town!!!!
( I would imagine though that it would look sleeker yet if the engine were installed inverted though )

3.JG51_BigBear
07-26-2005, 09:16 PM
In realy life I think the Mig is a real beauty. In game it looks a little fugly but I think that's just a matter of a poor external model and it seems a little out of preportion.

TheCrux
07-26-2005, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
In realy life I think the Mig is a real beauty. In game it looks a little fugly but I think that's just a matter of a poor external model and it seems a little out of preportion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much so. Also, for some strange reason many of the smooth and gentle curves are rendered as a series of flat spots...particularly about the engine cowling and propeller spinner. It can't be an anistropic ( sp? ) issue since other A/C rarely, if ever, display such characteristics, even when zoomed in.

LeadSpitter_
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't take gunpods.

PlimPlam
07-27-2005, 12:54 AM
mig is one of the best looking planes in game imo. Way back when I got il2 I did a whoa look at this baby what a beaut when I first saw it.

Then I went into flat spins galore with it and switched to the laggs.

Rarely flown it since but I did have a small bit of success b and z'ing in it.

Dunno what it flys like now though. But I still cant believe you think it's ugly. Im shocked really.

Lazy312
07-27-2005, 01:34 AM
MiG-3 is one of my favorites.

I think everything important was said in previous posts.

In 3.04 I was able to outturn most if not all german planes with mig. Mig really needs light hand on a stick. I didn't try in 4.01.

Armament on most produced versions is really not powerful. However you have much ammo and mig is very stable when shooting. Also if you don't expect your targets to explode everytime you shoot you will not be frustrated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Don't focus on getting kills but on completing your mission instead.

Mig is faster than 109E at all altitudes and it is faster than 109F over about 6500m.

LEXX_Luthor
07-27-2005, 01:41 AM
That's why we need 109F with GM-1 boost. But, Blue never asked Oleg for that, its not 1944-esque enough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

carguy_
07-27-2005, 07:35 AM
My personal advice - don`t fly it.Until the next patch comes out anyway.I`m pretty sure it will change drastically.

Through 3 years the Mig was a very bad low altitude performer.In 4.01 this changed,the mig as a fast,very good turning,low and high alt performer with good dive speed is all around better plane than Yak and comparable with LaGG but this one is a matter of preference.

JG53Frankyboy
07-27-2005, 07:44 AM
stay LOW in the MiG3-AM38 , its a beast below 3000m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

btw, stay with a Fw190A in a dive with a normal MiG3 (not MiG3U) ?
its Vnev is around 720km/h IAS. the Fw190A is 880km/h IAS !!
in 4.01 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LeadSpitter_
08-24-2005, 07:05 PM
120mix and no gunpods

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
the mig imo is pretty good in alot of aspects in a fight, however i like to keep it fast, but the cannon versions are quite good