PDA

View Full Version : Demo problem

Elthair
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi there,

I tried to install the demo of IL2 on both my computers but both give an error message when trying to run the setup. The error is in Dutch and I am not sure I can correctly translate it, but it basically says that the program isn't compatible with MS DOS or windows. The title ssays it has something to do with 16-bit windows subsystems.

Any idea what this is and how to solve this? I run XP prefessional, and system specs are way above minimum.

The error is identical on both Computers. I have tried installing it from a Demo cd i got with my Nvidea GFX card and also downlaoded it from two mirrors to see if it really wasn;t a corrupt file. No success: identical error.

Troll2k
12-07-2004, 03:07 PM
After going back and looking at the specs for the demo v2 there is no mention of windows xp.I suspect it is not windows xp compatible.The full version of the original IL2 Sturmovik does mention it is XP compatible.

JR_Greenhorn
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
The demo is fairly old, but maybe someone here with XP could try it to see if it is in fact XP compatible or not.

I had no problems running the demo back in the day on a Windows ME based system.

Elthair, if you are new to Il-2, I sure hope you can get that demo working. I wasn't sure about the game at first, but the demo completely sold me.

As I'm sure you know, it is a genorous demo, what with six flyable planes, a few single missions, and unlimited use of the Quick Mission Builder.

GTO_68
12-07-2004, 04:23 PM
The demo runs on my WinXP system.

Troll2k
12-08-2004, 12:44 AM
I do not use XP so I am not sure of this.Does not XP have a compatiblity mode you can use?

Elthair
12-08-2004, 11:15 AM
not for the setup, and thats where I get the problems already. It seems to eb a more common problem with a file called autoexec.nt. I've found soem stuff on the net that may work: will keep you posted!