PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Corsair.... It's really gonna happen !

jayhall0315
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Well some of you know that flight simming led me down the path to my private pilot's license which I started in August of 2008 and completed in April of 2009 (due to business at work). Guys like TX-EcoDragon here at the forums were also great in giving advice. And for the past three months I have been pestering a private owner of a real Corsair in California to allow me to fly his prized warbird. And today, I got an email saying that he is going to allow me to do it !!! Of course, it wont come cheap since there are many stipulations that the owner is making me comply with including very expensive insurance, a safety course and two days of an ad hoc ground school in Corsair flight characteristics, but I think it will be worth it in the end. If all goes as planned (and I complete my aerobatics training this summer) then it looks like I will be given the green light this coming October. Of course, if it goes through, I will give full details here with photos and a detailed run down. The owner is asking that his name be kept in confidence but I will be allowed to release photos and fairly detailed info, so pretty stoked at the moment.

Of course I have always wondered how close IL2 got to the 'real deal' when they did their modeling and cant wait to see how the real Corsair performs in comparison to its likeness in the sim. Getting really excited and stay tuned .....

S! - Jay (flying online as WhistlinggDeath)

jayhall0315
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Well some of you know that flight simming led me down the path to my private pilot's license which I started in August of 2008 and completed in April of 2009 (due to business at work). Guys like TX-EcoDragon here at the forums were also great in giving advice. And for the past three months I have been pestering a private owner of a real Corsair in California to allow me to fly his prized warbird. And today, I got an email saying that he is going to allow me to do it !!! Of course, it wont come cheap since there are many stipulations that the owner is making me comply with including very expensive insurance, a safety course and two days of an ad hoc ground school in Corsair flight characteristics, but I think it will be worth it in the end. If all goes as planned (and I complete my aerobatics training this summer) then it looks like I will be given the green light this coming October. Of course, if it goes through, I will give full details here with photos and a detailed run down. The owner is asking that his name be kept in confidence but I will be allowed to release photos and fairly detailed info, so pretty stoked at the moment.

Of course I have always wondered how close IL2 got to the 'real deal' when they did their modeling and cant wait to see how the real Corsair performs in comparison to its likeness in the sim. Getting really excited and stay tuned .....

S! - Jay (flying online as WhistlinggDeath)

na85
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't expect he will allow you to push the corsair to the extent that the real pilots did during the war (too bad, really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) so don't be surprised if it doesn't live up to it's performance reputation.

There was a post a while ago about a member who got to fly a P-51 and was instructed to keep the manifold pressure down to a reduced amount.

Still: That will be a lifetime experience, and you will be grinning like a kid on christmas morning the whole time. Lucky bastard :P

K_Freddie
07-28-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm green... have fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Odie1974
07-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Heh, if I was allowed to fly a real plane the way I fly them in IL2, this would be my first and last time in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck, have fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wheelsup_cavu
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
I don't expect he will allow you to push the corsair to the extent that the real pilots did during the war (too bad, really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) so don't be surprised if it doesn't live up to it's performance reputation.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">There was a post a while ago about a member who got to fly a P-51 and was instructed to keep the manifold pressure down to a reduced amount.</span>

Still: That will be a lifetime experience, and you will be grinning like a kid on christmas morning the whole time. Lucky bastard :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am almost positive this is the thread you were remembering.

Impressions of a Real Pony Ride .... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7551097847?r=7551097847#7551097847)

It was a very cool video, IMO.

Wheels

jayhall0315
07-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Of course I am never gonna fly a Zero, La, Bf 109, etc in real life but I have always been amazed (and I am a programmer partly in real life) at what Oleg was able to do when he put IL2 together. And sometimes surprised he did not sell IL2 for $200 or $300 per box because it seems in my limited experience, he really did get many details pretty close to the real deal. So getting a chance in a real warbird that is also in the sim (and my namesake, none the less) is really gonna be exciting. Cant wait to see how it lives up to what we are so used to in IL2.

BillSwagger
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Even if you are still restricted to some degree when you do fly the F4U, there aren't too many people (if any at all) on here who can say they've flown a real F4U.
Thats sounds really cool.

Playing Il2 and other sims has also made me think more about getting some real pilots training and putting in some actual flight time. For me, its not a question of if, but a question of when.
So I'm glad to see someone doing something like this, and I am admittedly a bit envious.

So good luck with the license and i hope the guy follows through on his promise.

Kettenhunde
07-28-2009, 02:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> many stipulations that the owner is making me comply with including very expensive insurance, a safety course and two days of an ad hoc ground school in Corsair flight characteristics, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Who is the insurance company?

Every company I have talked too will not touch you for solo in a WWII figher until you have the magic minimum 200 hours PIC in a T-6.

All the best,

Crumpp

mortoma
07-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Well congrats!! I'm very surprised he would allow a low time pilot with no complex or high performance sign off fly a bird like that. I got my PPL in 2000 and personally I would not wish to attempt it with my limited experience, with a Beech Bonanza being the hottest thing I ever flew.

The jump from a trainer type to a Corsair is a tremendously huge jump by any stretch of the imagination. Good luck!! I'd suggest learning to be a better rudder pilot by getting a tail dragger endorsement at the very least. In my book a lot of rudder experience would be needed and some high horsepower time would be also a good thing.

BM357_Sniper1
07-28-2009, 06:49 AM
That's almost unbelievable. I don't think I could convince anyone to let me fly their warbird and I fly for a living. lol

Wonder if you need a type rating for weight?

I do know if you don't have your complex, high performance and tail wheel endorsements you aren't legal.

trumper
07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I am not sure what to make of this.I know of many highly experienced warbird owner /pilots that have died and they were highly experienced.I cannot imagine any warbird owner is going to allow someone with such low hours and experience to fly something quite like this.
I wish you luck but i think there must be more to this than meets the eye.
I can honestly say it isn't jealousy as i would be feeling very very insecure with such low hours and high responsibility.

KG26_Alpha
07-28-2009, 08:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The owner is asking that his name be kept in confidence </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not surprised !!!!!!

Form a queue here please.....................

M_Gunz
07-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Is it a 2 seat trainer or like?

DuckyFluff
07-28-2009, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Flying the Corsair.... It's really gonna happen ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe...maybe not. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I would be astonished that an insurance company would cover a low time inexperienced pilot, not to mention the owner actually agreeing, ground school or not, it wasnt called the Ensign Eliminator for nothing, and these would have been pilots with MANY hours of both tail-dragger and high performance experience.

BigC208
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I used to work as an aviation claims adjuster. There isn't an insurance company in the US that will touch you unless you have 200 hours in a T6 or other heavy taildragger. This is of course possible. Have fun in the T6, you'll be a much better pilot after this experience. Don't relax untill she's parked and chocked. When I did my tailwheel endorsement I thought I had to learn to fly again. Curious about your progress and experience so keep us informed!

ElAurens
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
As the above posters have said, without time in a T6 you will not be able to fly solo in any single seater warbird fighter.

Get back to us in a couple of years when you accumulate all that T6 time.

M_Gunz
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
There are 2 seat warbirds out there that you don't have to be next to holy to get stick time in, but I
don't know of any F4U 2 seaters.

ElAurens
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, there's a P40N out there that's set up as a 2 seater that I'd like to get a ride in.

doogerie
07-29-2009, 03:23 AM
I herd that at one point there was a guy that used to fly on here that was a piolt in the pasific (herd this from a guy a while back on here) and aparntly he told this guy that flying in IL2 is al ot like flying in real lif minous the g force of course dude i am really really jelous of you