PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - 50Hz vs 100hz tv for gaming?

cavemanIWHAP
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Im looking at getting a new TV. Im pretty hooked on the samsung 46" but not sure whether to get the series 5 or 6. The only differece i can see is that the series 6 is 100hz and a few hundred dollars more expensive. Also considering the Sony Ex500 as it's pretty cheap at the moment too.

What i want to know is do i really need a 100hz tv for gameing and movies or will 50hz do? would you really notice the difference because i dont really notice it in the shop? I play a fair bit but nothing super serious and mostly play action and FPS games and play on xbox 360.

Your advice/input will be much appreciated.

cavemanIWHAP
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Im looking at getting a new TV. Im pretty hooked on the samsung 46" but not sure whether to get the series 5 or 6. The only differece i can see is that the series 6 is 100hz and a few hundred dollars more expensive. Also considering the Sony Ex500 as it's pretty cheap at the moment too.

What i want to know is do i really need a 100hz tv for gameing and movies or will 50hz do? would you really notice the difference because i dont really notice it in the shop? I play a fair bit but nothing super serious and mostly play action and FPS games and play on xbox 360.

Your advice/input will be much appreciated.

caswallawn_2k7
03-19-2011, 09:06 AM
a 100hz TV doesn't take a 100hz input, all they do is double up the frame to try to make transition frames to avoid ghosting.

but really it is a gimmick since the screens will never accept a true 100hz input.

Mr_Shade
03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Just to add..

The extra processing done, by doubling the frames, can add in lag / delay and can make some games slightly harder to play - such as fast action fps type games.

Some TV's are not that great at it either, and on scrolling vertical lines, you sometimes see odd flickering lines following..

cavemanIWHAP
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
cool thanks for the info. Looks like ill be going for the 50hz. Had a feeling it was just a way of upselling.

Grandmaster_Z
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
never seen 50/100. Most likely it is 60Hz and 120Hz. I would choose the 120Hz, its awesome for gaming. You can usually toggle between 60 and 120 through the TV's options.

caswallawn_2k7
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
never seen 50/100. Most likely it is 60Hz and 120Hz. I would choose the 120Hz, its awesome for gaming. You can usually toggle between 60 and 120 through the TV's options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

UK/Euroe/Japanese(and any other PAL territory) ran at 50hz, this is why most TV's will still be said as 50hz, despite the fact most LCD's will run at 60 most PAL devices will still only input at 50hz.

as for the 100hz TV's (not monitors) they use a chip to double up the 50hz PAL signal or ramp up the other signals to give a fake version of 100hz. (not to be mistaken for a 120hz monitor that does accept 120hz inputs but the only thing that can send that signal is a PC and even then it is normally used for the Active 3D on Nvidia cards as it needs 60 frames per eye meaning it needs a doubled refresh rate)

cavemanIWHAP
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Given that nothing plays at 100hz input do movies on a 100hz panel enhance the experience or not really?

Also does anyone know if you can manually adjust the frequency from 100 to 50 on the sony Ex500 and the Samsung c650? Does anyone have any of these models and would care to share what they think of them?

Colossus_1191
03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
It is terrible for movies because it creates something called the soap opera effect, which is where the movie looks like it is being filmed with a handheld camera. 100hz or more is mainly so that you can watch fast motion sports without the blur. I supposed that it would clear up the motion in a game as well, but at the same time, all the processing going on will probably cause lag.

I just recently needed a new TV and went with a Plasma. They are pretty perfect for games because of their excellent colors, motion display and response time. Problem is they are pretty loud (although this is hit or miss, some get quiet ones).

cavemanIWHAP
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
can you still get burn in with plasma though? iv been getting mixed messages about that and although it may be less of a problem now i dont really want to risk it. also i head the life span of the plasma is less too, is that true for for new tvs these days?

caswallawn_2k7
03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
you would be going some to buy a plasma screen now anyway they are out of date as the LCD's are miles ahead of them.

but no matter what screen you use, you can get burn in if you leave a static image on it for long periods, it like in the UK pub's will often show sky new or sky sports news during the day and often when you go in to watch football matches you can still see the framing off the news channels in the football match. so if burn is something you are scared of you shouldn't even have the CRT.

Colossus_1191
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cavemanIWHAP:
can you still get burn in with plasma though? iv been getting mixed messages about that and although it may be less of a problem now i dont really want to risk it. also i head the life span of the plasma is less too, is that true for for new tvs these days? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really is no more of a risk than with an LCD. Current Plasmas you would have to leave the same image on the screen for 24 hours to get burn in. Life span isn't an issue anymore either.

The only issue is that you might get one that is a bit loud. You could get one that barely makes any noise too. Pretty hit or miss, I guess it depends on the model.

But Plasmas are cheaper and definitely have the best picture quality. I got mine for $300 on Amazon and the picture is insane. The first time I popped in my blu-ray Planet Earth my jaw pretty much dropped.