PDA

View Full Version : TRACKIR 4 Problems. TIR4 owners here here!

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi guys. As some of you have TRackir 4 I thought I should post my problems here as well as on Naturalpoint's forum. Maybe you know what to do.

I received my Track IR 4 device about a week ago and it worked flawlessly. Beeing a TIR 1 owner I really looked forward to increase my TIR experience.

Then 2 days ago it just stopped working. All I see is a faint red light.

So these are the actions I made:

1.I tr√¬*ed to uninstall and reinstall but this didn't help.

2.I made a System Restore to an earlier date (before installation of the device) to be sure that everything was at it was before I got the TIR. Still not working.....

3.Used the Regfix suggested by NP: Result - "No devices detected that needed to be fix"

4. I followed the actions suggested by NP:
- Uninstall all TrackIR software.
- Delete the TrackIR4 folder from C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint
- Disconnect the TrackIR and reboot PC
- Reinstall the software from this link.
- Reboot PC.
- Connect the TrackIR to a USB port on the back of the PC.

Result: "Windows won't recognize the USB device.

5. examined all my USB ports to see if they were the problem. I tried other devices but they worked with no problem.

6. Finally I have made 2(!!) XP, reinstallations with all what that demands with updates and all, and still XP won't recognize the device, all that I see i the faint red light.

So is this something that you TIR 4 owners have heard of /recognize? I seriously think it is a hardware issue.. what do you think?

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi guys. As some of you have TRackir 4 I thought I should post my problems here as well as on Naturalpoint's forum. Maybe you know what to do.

I received my Track IR 4 device about a week ago and it worked flawlessly. Beeing a TIR 1 owner I really looked forward to increase my TIR experience.

Then 2 days ago it just stopped working. All I see is a faint red light.

So these are the actions I made:

1.I tr√¬*ed to uninstall and reinstall but this didn't help.

2.I made a System Restore to an earlier date (before installation of the device) to be sure that everything was at it was before I got the TIR. Still not working.....

3.Used the Regfix suggested by NP: Result - "No devices detected that needed to be fix"

4. I followed the actions suggested by NP:
- Reboot PC.

5. examined all my USB ports to see if they were the problem. I tried other devices but they worked with no problem.

6. Finally I have made 2(!!) XP, reinstallations with all what that demands with updates and all, and still XP won't recognize the device, all that I see i the faint red light.

So is this something that you TIR 4 owners have heard of /recognize? I seriously think it is a hardware issue.. what do you think?

Zatochi2005
02-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Have you checked here for a solution?

TrackIR Support Forum (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=45)

If you post your problem there, someone from Naturalpoint will probably respond.

blairgowrie
02-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Suggest you try B16Enk's USB fix for USB gone AWOL
6th item down on the page.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314103891/p/3

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zatochi2005:
Have you checked here for a solution?

TrackIR Support Forum (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=45)

If you post your problem there, someone from Naturalpoint will probably respond. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have posted, but if anyone recognize the problem here and have a solution I would appreciate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314103891/p/3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give it a try, thanx.

However other USB device work

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314103891/p/3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried it, and the 4 USB Root Hubs and I deselected "Deselect 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'" on these. However when I plug in TIR again in shows up as "unknown device" with no possibilities to change power management

blairgowrie
02-04-2006, 06:57 AM
I had the same problem with my Track IR3 Pro, MSFFB2 and CH Throttle. I would get into game and none of them would work but other USB devices would. When I was flying with B16Enk, I mentioned the problem to him and he referred me to his post.

The fix made the problem go away.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you F19.

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 08:15 AM
I am ripping me hair here. When I manually tries to update the dricer from device manager and I oint the driver location to the npusb3.inf it just says:
the specified location does not contain information about your hardware

This is nervwrecking. I would be happy to know wheather this is a HW problem or driver/software problem. I have skimmed through the forums at NP and noticed that many seems to have the similar problem.

Even though everything is installed, when I look at the properties of this "unknown device" which is the TIR in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" it says " no drivers installed for this device"

What gives?

T_O_A_D
02-04-2006, 08:38 AM
I have owned TIR1 and have TIr3 pro but I have a feeling your runnig across a weird problem that happens not so often, from the beggining.

It may take new Bios, reload of Motherboard chipset drivers, or a complete reinstall of OS.

Before all that I would install i ton another machine, no matter the size or if it is used for gaming. Just load it up and see if it work and track in its own software. If so then the above stuff, is going to fix it.

Hopefully

Here is what I'm basing my thoughts on. Some of my post over at Natural point.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u...;f=3;t=000154#000000 (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000154#000000)

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u...;f=3;t=000156#000001 (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000156#000001)

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u...;f=3;t=000210#000005 (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000210#000005)

Good luck

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Well Toad, I used TIR1 for 3 years with no problem. As you can see I have gone troough it all, including reinstalaltion of Win XP twice (!) with no effect. I will take a look at the Bios, and Motherboard chipset.. but considering that evrey other USB device I have works excellently.. except this. Therefore I have a hard time to think it's my computer. Also, why did it just stop working after 1 week???

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
chipset and bios checked and updated, no change..

T_O_A_D
02-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeh I know its frustrating. Every thing of mine work aswell. As those post over at NP shows it happened right off the bat with my TIR1 then it did it again sort of with TIR1 and my Newest Mobo. I have not had any trouble with my TIR3 pro. And my Origional TIR1 is still in use by another Virtual pilot, no problems.

But if you are sure its not your machine, do as I mentioned, and install it on another machine. Just to test it, and run it through the mill, on its own software.

PriK
02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Do me a favour and install it on another computer if possible. Let's eliminate or confirm a faulty device.

Capt_Haddock
02-04-2006, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
Also, why did it just stop working after 1 week??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what makes me think there's something wrong with your TIR4. Surely if it worked fine for a whole week with that same MOBO and BIOS it should work again...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with it, mate.

http://www.haddock.f2s.com/sig/freedom_01.jpg

Saunders1953
02-04-2006, 10:59 AM
What a bummer--my heart goes out to you, because I've had problems with TIR 4 too, but they were different and I did get it sorted out in fairly short order. (I had TIR 3 and did the upgrade through a site download.)

I know this is may be too obvious, but are you starting TIR before or after you fire up the game?

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Stay cool, patience man that works for you!!

This works uninstall software ... delete your usb device and restart your pc with your trackir device connected...voila the trackir 4 device will be recognized.

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saunders1953:

I know this is may be too obvious, but are you starting TIR before or after you fire up the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IO can't start TIR before or after as XP won't recognize it as a device.

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1.JaVA_Hornet:
Stay cool, patience man that works for you!!

This works uninstall software ... delete your usb device and restart your pc with your trackir device connected...voila the trackir 4 device will be recognized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm thanx ,ate, but if you have read my post you will know I have tried that and morehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
"unknown device"

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt_Haddock:
This is what makes me think there's something wrong with your TIR4. Surely if it worked fine for a whole week with that same MOBO and BIOS it should work again..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is what I am afraid of to. Somhoe I hope it is this, at least then I know what‚¬®s wrong.

T_O_A_D, I know, I will try to get my hand on another comp tomorrow and we will see if its me or ithttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EmKen
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey Capt Haddock, luv your sig. ----------- EDIT-------------------
Just exercising my right to free speech, no offence meant, I reckon there might even be people who regard it as a joke.

Edit:-------------------------------------------
Just exercising my right as a Moderator to remove some of the free speech. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I'm glad Capt_Haddock changed his sig.

redfeathers1948
02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
hmmmmm........I am not comfortable following the previous post I in no way would endorse
it...anyway I was just gonna say I have a Track 4 and it works fine. Since I also fly Lock On and have found it much easier and less disorientating to disable the x,y,z modes and use the dot function and that enables me to use my slider on my X-52 to zoom in and out. I am still getting used to it though.

T_O_A_D
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:

T_O_A_D, I know, I will try to get my hand on another comp tomorrow and we will see if its me or ithttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr waiting, and hoping in a way that it is the TIR, and not your Machine.

BaldieJr
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Dude you gotta restart in safe mode then in device manager fine the screwy usb devices and delete them. You'll know what i'm talking about when you see them, they are called "usb composite device".

Restart then go uninstall the tir software and reboot again.

Now reinstall the software and reboot.

Now plug it in.

If it no works return it cause its toast.

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Dude you gotta restart in safe mode then in device manager fine the screwy usb devices and delete them. You'll know what i'm talking about when you see them, they are called "usb composite device".

Restart then go uninstall the tir software and reboot again.

Now reinstall the software and reboot.

Now plug it in.

If it no works return it cause its toast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx...

Well I just did this mate, and I guess it's toast then. When I plug it in it says, as it has beeing saying evrytime I have tried stuff, INCLUDING total reinstallation of XP twice: Unknown device. it's not totally dead though, the red light shines barely and the blue lamp flashes every 5 seconds. Again.... how in G***'s name could it be anything else nut hardware error when it has been working for a week before????

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
I have had a really good correspondence with the guys at Naturalpoint. I just received a mail from them after sending my setupapi... Something possibly has gone out in the unit then as is seems to be showing up as VID_0000&PID_0000 which makes them think something has happened to the USB information.

Great guys at NP. Looks like I will get a new device. Thanx again guys for listening on my frustrated ramblingshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T_O_A_D
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Great, I would still plug it in another machine before you ship it back though.

My origional one worked at firt then quit, then worked again. And it as I have posted ended up being chipset drivers. Not saying its your problem but if you have it in hand you might aswell keep fooling with it, till its realy broke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

F19_Orheim
02-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Well yeah, I won't fool around with it hehe but I will see if I can get my hands on another computer tomorrow just to be sure it IS the device and not my computer.

I did update my chipset drives so no, it's not it.

Worf101
02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Orheim, please keep us apprised as to what's what. I'm glad to see the NP isn't just blowing you off. I know full well what it's like to have brand new machinery "go south". Makes you wanna punch something or someone.

Worf101 99th Pursuit Squadron, 302nd V.F.G. "Spit Fire".

nickdanger3
02-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Our experiences, despite the different hardware are nearly identical.

I just had the same thing happen with my Ch Pro Pedals. All of a sudden they weren't recognized. I thought at first it was a faulty USB cable so I ordered a replacement and installed that.

*NOTE* When opening CH Pro Pedals, GO VERY SLOWLY and plan on having a friend help put it back together - there are some steps that require four hands.

But I digress.

Long story short, it didn't work and I bought a new set. My theory is that since USB is powered , there might have been a spike that toasted the board.

Persecutor_352
02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
@F19 ..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. I followed the actions suggested by NP:
- Reboot PC.

5. examined all my USB ports to see if they were the problem. I tried other devices but they worked with no problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had similar problems with a number of different hardware items, not always USB. *Almost* always I've solved the problem by removing oemnn.inf files and reinstalling the software. I'm not suggesting this is *the* solution, but it's a good place to look.

In your \Windows\inf folder you'll find a series of files called "oemnn.inf (where nn = a number starting with 0 and increasing by 1 for each successive file) and a corresponding .pnf file.

Each such .inf file represents a hardware descriptor. Using either a text editor or viewer, open each file, sequentially, looking for information that will describe the contents as relating to TrackIR. In my system, the file is "oem10.inf", but each system will be different. In a file viewer my oem10.inf reads, in the header portion, "NaturalPoint Adapters", so it's real easy to identify the file.

Once you locate the file, note its name. Note also that the corresponding .pnf file will have the identical file name, with the extension being .pnf instead of .inf.

For reasons I don't really understand, uninstalling and removing hardware does not (always) result in removed .inf and .pnf files, and old files can be a cause of problems that defy other solutions. Deleting both sometimes ends up being one's salvation. Please be careful, don't delete OEM files that don't belong to your TrackIR hardware!! Exercise extreme caution, but don't hesitate to rename a file and reinstall. If it doesn't work, you can always revert to the original name.

Uninstall your TrackIR software entirely. Empty your temporary folderrs (the one in C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temp as well as the files in C:\Windows\Temp, and to be really thorough, empty your recycle bin. Now, delete the C:\Windows\Inf\oem[whatever number].inf and .pnf files, or if you're paranoid, rename both by adding an additonal extension of .original; i.e., oem10.inf should become oem10.inf.original. Or you can try oem10-inf.original. That way you still have the original file but it's not being anything but stored bits and bytes.

Now, reinstall your TrackIR. The oemnn.inf and .pnf files will be recreated and your software will be installed afresh. When you plug in your TrackIR you should (assuming no hardware issues) get a clean install of the hardware.

You ARE installing the software with the TrackIR NOT plugged in, aren't you? If not, UNPLUG the TrackIR, uninstall the software, then reinstall and THEN plug in the TrackIR.

Hope this information helps. It can't hurt, except it's a bit of work.

Good luck.

F19_Orheim
02-07-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanx guys, thanx Persecutor. I have tried everything, but especially my reinstallation of xp twice and instalaltion of TIR by the book the first thing I did after Xp was loaded (except SP 2 and all the updates) tells me that is is a hardware issue. As I said, I have been in a good contact via mail with the guys on NP and they too think it is a hardware issue. I will return my device and get a new one. So far my contact with NP has been very good. I will keep you guys updated

//Orheim

CD_kp84yb
02-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Hey

I had some troubles here with the usb ****

Got track ir and a x52 on my second rig. Now when i placed my rig again ( had to remove it) under my desk, i just put in the cables in the usb ports. guess what both track ir and the stick didnt work ????? so i had to figure out in what usb slot they were before . It looks like it realy makes a difference in wich slot you puss the jacket.
Just an observation from my side.

cheers