PDA

View Full Version : Torps fail dispite "no duds" selected ?

HavelTaucher
08-09-2008, 05:06 AM
I'm doing the torps exam and have switched off 'dud torps' in the options.

Even so, when I try to hit a 'coastal ship' at around 300m range at 90 degrees the torp almost always just bounces off.

Is there a minimum distance I need to keep?

Is there a special trigger (magnetic/impact) which is needed for these small 'coastal ship' targets?

HavelTaucher
08-09-2008, 05:06 AM
I'm doing the torps exam and have switched off 'dud torps' in the options.

Even so, when I try to hit a 'coastal ship' at around 300m range at 90 degrees the torp almost always just bounces off.

Is there a minimum distance I need to keep?

Is there a special trigger (magnetic/impact) which is needed for these small 'coastal ship' targets?

klcarroll
08-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes; ....I have seen that happen occasionally: ...Apparently the software just can't stand the thought of a totally "Dud Free" Environment!

There is, however, another important point to consider here: ....."Arming Distance"!

The arming distance for torpedoes is about 300 meters: ...If you fire at a shorter range, the torp doesn't have time to arm, and it will bounce off every time. I NEVER take a shot at less than 325 meters.

The problem is more complex than simply making sure you see a range greater than 300 when you shoot! ....If the motion of the target results in a "closing" condition, it is possible to see a range of 300+ when you fire, ...but still end up with an actual torpedo run that is significantly less than that!

klcarroll

MartiniMik
08-09-2008, 07:41 AM
HavelTaucher,

I'm no expert at this game at all, but I'll try to give you a quick and correct reply. I believe that 300m is too close. The torpedo hasn't had a chance to arm for your security. I believe it takes about 325-350m. The closest I ever shoot is 400 and works like a charm.

Also, both magnetic or impact should work. Hopefully a moderator will come along and give you an exact response.

Mittelwaechter
08-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Watch your torpedo depthsettings.
The 90 degrees angle (+/- 30?) counts for the rounded shipshull facing downwards too.
With some 15m/s wind a 6.90 steamer may dance a few meters up a wave, to show it's round belly for the moment of torpedo (non-)impact.

HavelTaucher
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The arming distance for torpedoes is about 300 meters </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, I didn't know that. I had heard about modern torps have such a feature but didn't know it went back all the way to WWII.

Yes it works much better from 500m range now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The other problem is getting all the ships before they disappear, but I'll just have to hurry up I guess.

Kielhauler1961
08-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi HavelTaucher, welcome!

You don't have to do the torpedo attacks submerged. These are the tactics I use:

1. When the test starts, go to flank, surface and go hard-a-starboard and bag the small tanker first (he's the fastest of the five targets). Put two into him as one will normally only slow him down to about 4-6kts and it's a pain having to return to a target. Put maximum crew + officer in both torpedo rooms, you will need to reload quickly. A watch crew is not required in this scenario (except the one rating minimum required when surfaced). Put them to use below decks (WO in stern torpedo room).

2. Swing to starboard and line up the stern tube on the C2 for a long range mag. It probably won't be enough to sink him but should bring him to a halt.

3. Continue to starboard and go after the small merchant that was initially behind you. One torpedo is normally enough for this fella.

4. Turn to starboard again and go after the other small merchant. Again, one is normally enough. Be warned, this chap has a tendency to explode violently! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Don't get too close or you'll take damage (happened to me more than once).

5. Then its back to finish off the C2. By now you should have reloaded at least two forward and the stern tubes. Use the stern tube if you can, you'll need the bow tubes for the last one.

6. The last merchant, the one that so far has been stationary, is tricky. He is actually sitting there with his speedboat engines at "idle" and when you fire he will suddenly "go to throttle-up" and leap ahead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif. Get close (400m), use a "fast" setting (with a second in reserve) and aim for the bow section or you will see your precious torpedo miss astern.

Hope this helps.

KH. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HavelTaucher
08-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the tips ... I had managed to get all five ships last night like this:

Swung 'backbord' then 'steuerboard' to get the first coastal ship lined up (I think that's the fast one, near the C4). After also taking out the other two coastal ships, I went after the tanker. Approached him at 45 degrees and then turned to 90 degrees just before firing.
Finally caught up with the C4 and sunk it with 3 or 4 torps.

The most difficult thing I find is the crew management, I'll have to work on that. I'm still reading through the manual, is there no way to setup a rota so they automatically take breaks and return to work?

Goose_Green
08-10-2008, 05:25 AM
If you install SH3 Commander you have the option of turning off the crew fatigue element of the crew managment system. It's something I always switch to when playing SH3, I cannot be bothered in dealing with it as it can detract from my proper duties http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

klcarroll
08-10-2008, 06:40 AM
I tend to agree with Goose!

The whole "crew management" thing is a joke!

In Real Life, the Captain of the boat doesn't go around, personally tucking each man into bed when the time comes!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

In Real Life, the captain would post a Watch Bill at the beginning of the cruise, and then expect his orders to be followed.

klcarroll

PhantomKira
08-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Angle can also cause problems. Optimum angle for a hit is 90 degrees, of course. A very shallow angle, like 30 degrees, or 160 degrees on target, can cause a torpedo to skip off the hull like a stone on water, even if you hit a flat part of the hull.

Minimum distance doesn't include distance from torpedo tubes to periscope! Don't forget that the periscope is some 30 meters aft of the tubes. 300 meters at the periscope is only 270 meters at the tubes, which isn't enough distance to arm. Therefore, at a perfect 90 degrees, 330 meters is minimum arming distance. If the torpedo has to turn after leaving the tube, it will eat up some of the run distance in the turn, allowing for slightly shorter range from sub to target.