PDA

View Full Version : B17 'Sally B' Flying/Insurance problems

Salfordian
05-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Just heard on the radio that a flypast of B17 'Sally B' has been cancelled this weekend, due to new insurance regulations which put it in the same category as a Boeing 737 (that was what they said on radio 2 anyway), bummer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif. Hope this doesn't have any effects for future displays, was hoping to see her at the Walney airshow in July.

Salfordian
05-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Just heard on the radio that a flypast of B17 'Sally B' has been cancelled this weekend, due to new insurance regulations which put it in the same category as a Boeing 737 (that was what they said on radio 2 anyway), bummer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif. Hope this doesn't have any effects for future displays, was hoping to see her at the Walney airshow in July.

Taylortony
05-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes it will I am afraid, at the moment this might be her last season in Europe and a lot of stuff we see now will effectively be grounded due to this new legislation from Europe, the problem is it is worked out on the Aircrafts Max Take Of Weight and that is the figure that was produced by the manufacturers and includes a full bombload, 10 crew, a compilment of guns and ammo and full fuel..... obviously she never comes near to this these days but that puts it a few KG into the 737 weight category......

Airplane monthly and flypast are urging readers to write to their MP's and complain to try and get some exemptions for warbirds

Sally B does 25 hours a year and it will cost them about an EXTRA 25,000 or 1000 per hour under the new rules.... Displaying does go no where near paying for everything so they rely on donations to keep going.... Other costs that are going up is a possible 350% rise on display authorisation charges and a staggering if you thought the last was bad 425% for permit to fly renewals over the next 5 years..

So it could be the death knell for a lot of ww2 aircraft in Europe, especially the big stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Chuck_Older
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Criminal

Aaron_GT
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine was involved with the Sally B until he moved to France. I'll try and see if he's heard anything on the grapevine.

T_O_A_D
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Well pardon my attitude.

That's some serious Bull@#$%

Theye should get an exception. If it wasn't for them old birds, Them Dang Law makers,and Insurance guys wouldn't have the right to make such stupid notions.

92SqnGCJimbo
05-04-2005, 05:53 PM
**** and i just buriesd the report in flypast.... ill try to dig it out..

apparently the cover u need it goes up in 1 mil lumps or something similar for the smaller aircraft but then jumps by about 80mil for the big birds... its just one cateogry for all the big stuff...

Salfordian
05-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Really is such a shame especially when you think of all the money that has been put in to getting these old planes running already, can just wish them the best of luck and put a few quid in the pot when I go Duxford in July.

LuckyBoy1
05-05-2005, 05:43 AM
We all like the idea of being treated fairly and not subsidizing others who get "special deals" from their insurance company. As a result, most insurance companies by regulation as well as policy MUST treat everyone the same.

The Underwriter simply looks at the plane and how big it is. If it is big enough to be classified like a 737 (which it is by the way) it gets classified as such.

True enough that the plane hardly keeps a commercial schedule, so that lowers their rate.

At the same time, it is an older, less dependable plane with less than proficient crews (by commercial standards due to the low number of hours flown) so that bumps them right back up there again.

Have them contact me at...

callingelvis911@yahoo.com

and I can get them quotes from A rated insurance companies based out of Germany, U.S. and U.K.

LuckyBoy1
05-05-2005, 05:47 AM
By the way, here's a link to how you can help get the regulation changed for the benefit of Sally-B...

http://sallyb.dcgservices.com/news_frameset.php

everyone, regardless of what Country you live in should write an e-mail on this one and show your support.