PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X45

Alec_George
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Is it the best choice for PF, and is there profile for download somewhere?

RACFrankenstein
10-20-2004, 02:33 PM
I've been using mine for about 2 1/2 yeaars now and I highly recommend it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's probably the best HOTAS setup you can get for the money right now. As for profiles, I'm sure others can point you in the right direction but I suggest making one yourself. I've tried profiles I d/l'ed and I always come back to the one I created. Give it a try, it ain't that hard mate!

Alec_George
10-20-2004, 02:33 PM
thanks

Fliger747
10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
I use this setup, with the CH Pro pedals. Haven't tried it out PF yet, but have had troubles with the HOTAS axis setup in FB. The CH stick and Throttle is highly reccomended by some who know, with the pedal, though an expensive setup.

If you go with the X-45, it is pretty easy to set up elevator and rudder trim on one of the small hats on the throttle, works great!

Ultimatly a prsonal preference choice, economics as a consideration.

ashley2005
10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
the x 52 is out in november it looks ace

Bearcat99
10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
I like it.... hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig and get Adlabs' X45 profile. or find any post by Tully the Joystick man.

Bolt40
10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Bump the X52 comin out in Nov. looks sweet & has a better setup than the 45..I'll invest the $130. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ehangar
10-21-2004, 02:44 AM
I too have the X45 and like it. Can anyone recommend a good Rudder pedal set to go with it and easy to set up for FB, PF, etc? Thanks!

fluup
10-21-2004, 02:51 AM
I bought the x45 for PF last saturday. I like it sooo much. It even makes the dumbest simluation cool.

I use the rotatable axis thingies on my throttle to adjust the trim too. I never thought about trimming my aircraft until it became so easy using these rotatable axis thingies. I'd say go for it. Extra pedals would be cool, but not really needed. The rudder controls on the throttle takes some minutes to get used to, but once you're used to it it's great.

fluup
10-21-2004, 02:52 AM
p.s. I tried setting up a profile, but since most controls need to be defined by yourself in PF there is no use of sharing the profile.

609IAP_Recon
10-21-2004, 05:43 AM
actually, I would discourage that idea Fluup.

1. Get the software for the x45 - it's easy to use
2. Only bind the HOTAS section for throttle, etc... in the game
3. use the software to bind to the key presses in the game.

ie. Let's say you want to bind the 'D' on the throttle to raise and lower Gear. In the game, the binding is to G. Simply bind the 'D' on your x45 profile to keypress 'G'.

Benefits are that the profile is in the joystick - I find this much easier to work with if I ever reinstall, etc...

I have a simple profile and would send it to anyone that is interested - it helped me to see a simple profile in order to learn how it works when I got mine a few years ago.

609IAP_Recon
10-21-2004, 05:45 AM
regarding rudder pedals - I suggest none other than CH Pro USB pedals.

Excellent pedals, great quality, etc... I run a x45 throttle, MS FFB2 stick, CH Pro Pedals and TrackIr in this game - and they all play fine with each other =)

fluup
10-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Recon, I agree, but there are so little keys predefined.

Tully__
10-21-2004, 06:51 AM
All the basic flight and engine controls should be pre-defined. The advanced engine controls, airbrakes etc. that have been added to the game engine since the original IL2 Sturmovik generally aren't predefined. A good profile will come with a readme file that tells you what keyboard keys were used for profile commands that don't have a default assignment in the game. You'll need to make assigments in the game for those controls only to make any good profile work.

ehangar
10-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi Recon, thanks I'll take u up on your offer - please PM me your X45 profile. I've never really got to grips with the programming on the X45 as I did with the X36, but I guess I should do it now to get the most enjoyment out of PF which I'll be buying soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alec_George
10-21-2004, 01:43 PM
So should i wait for X52 or x45 would be just fine?

Rupert1978
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I just took my x45 back out of the box after having it put away for a while and I am having a problem with my stick. The spring on the bottom isnt pushing the black circle back down once I want the stick to return to center. It is staying pushed up so I have no spring to the stick. Has anybody ever had this happen? If so what is a good way to fix it. It feels like the circle is sticking to the black post that it rides up. Please any help would be appreciated.

Jetenginedr
10-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Try a lubricant...no,not KY Jelly....I mean like something that wont hurt plastic or deteriorate it.

Though I don't know if it will eventually hurt the plastic..I use some electrical insulating compund called Dow DC-4 from my work at the airport.

Rupert1978
10-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Would WD40 work? I did try vaseline and it seemed to help quite a bit. It has a nice baby smell too since it was my sons when he was a baby. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'll look around and see what I can find in the auto section a the store this weekend.

Tully__
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupert1978:
Would WD40 work? I did try vaseline and it seemed to help quite a bit. It has a nice baby smell too since it was my sons when he was a baby. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'll look around and see what I can find in the auto section a the store this weekend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DO NOT use petroleum based lubricants on plastic. Wax is ok and some silicon based lubes are ok too.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
10-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Tri-Flow works great. You can get it at any hardware store. It has teflon in it.

Cayene
10-21-2004, 10:16 PM
To Rupert

I've used candle wax for the last 18 months. Doesn't seem to have affected the plastic.

Tully__
10-22-2004, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec_George:
Is it the best choice for PF, and is there profile for download somewhere? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a very good choice. Best can only be decided by you, as joysticks are a personal thing. The joystick your best friend likes may not suit you at all.

Rupert1978
10-22-2004, 05:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've used candle wax for the last 18 months. Doesn't seem to have affected the plastic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you apply that? Do you just rub a piece of wax on the shaft that the ring slides up and down on?

Tully__
10-22-2004, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupert1978:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've used candle wax for the last 18 months. Doesn't seem to have affected the plastic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you apply that? Do you just rub a piece of wax on the shaft that the ring slides up and down on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Try to find a candle that has a high proportion of bee's wax rather than one that has a high paraffin wax content. Bee's wax is softer and easier to apply.

Rupert1978
10-22-2004, 08:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yep. Try to find a candle that has a high proportion of bee's wax rather than one that has a high paraffin wax content. Bee's wax is softer and easier to apply. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tully, will do. I will get one tonight.

Rupert1978
10-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Does anybody know how in the profile editor I setup the x45 so the pinkie plus a button works? I went to mode 1 + pinkie and setup the buttons but they dont work. All the non pinkie ones work fine.

Tully__
10-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Does anybody know how in the profile editor I setup the x45 so the pinkie plus a button works? I went to mode 1 + pinkie and setup the buttons but they dont work. All the non pinkie ones work fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click on the Pinkie switch entry and select "Shift"

LC34
10-23-2004, 01:11 PM
I know a lot of people dont have PF right now, but is the profile I have for AEP going to work for PF?

Or will we have to have a new one I suppose that will fold wings, lower arrester cable etc.

Now that I read my post I am pretty sure its going to need a new profile for PF, anyone working on one? I always have a heck of a time trying to make my own.

Bearcat99
10-23-2004, 04:48 PM
From what I understand your FB2.04 profile should work fine in FB 3.0 you will just have to add commands for the arrester hook,wing fold and chocks.. I think there may be a few other commands too.

relentless_702
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey Guys
I recently purchased the X-45 and I think it is awesome. I downloaded the recommended profile for PF but I have several questions.
1.-What is the 1P, 2P, 3P. I understand the modes but dont understand the P's.
2.-It shows the Mouse Fire Button on the throttle as Xmit, is this a transmit button and if so, how do I get it to work in Team Speak since nobody uses the in game voice.
3.-In Mode 3, once flying, my rotaries dont seem to be working for prop pitch or elevator trim....any suggestions?
I'm really digin this joystick and PF game.
Any help would be appreciated

Tuba2004
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Several sites suggest using a birthday candle to rub along the shaft and on the bottom side of the black washer.
I used a short squirt of "Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant with Teflon " which seems to have worked.

Tuba2004
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Several sites suggest using a birthday candle to rub along the shaft and on the bottom side of the black washer.
I used a short squirt of "Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant with Teflon " which seems to have worked.

Tully__
04-19-2005, 04:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by relentless_702:
Hey Guys
I recently purchased the X-45 and I think it is awesome. I downloaded the recommended profile for PF but I have several questions.
1.-What is the 1P, 2P, 3P. I understand the modes but dont understand the P's.
2.-It shows the Mouse Fire Button on the throttle as Xmit, is this a transmit button and if so, how do I get it to work in Team Speak since nobody uses the in game voice.
3.-In Mode 3, once flying, my rotaries dont seem to be working for prop pitch or elevator trim....any suggestions?
I'm really digin this joystick and PF game.
Any help would be appreciated <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's my profile, Xmit is LeftControl. Just assign the left control button as transmit in Teamspeak or whatever you're using and it'll work.

The rotaries have to be assigned in the game's controls screen, scroll all the way to the bottom to the section labelled "HOTAS CONTROL". There you'll find entries for flaps, trim & brakes in addition to the usual ailerons, rudder , power and elevator.

relentless_702
04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks Tully
I appreciate the feedback and the profile. I will go into the game and assign the rotaries as u suggested. Already got TS working, figured that out last night. I think I got the iP 2P 3P thing worked out, I think its the shift option from the pinky trigger on the throttle. Thanks for all ur help.

geetarman
04-20-2005, 09:24 AM
I just got an X45 yessterday. I was scratching my head a bit trying to figure out how to program it. This thread will help I think.

So, if I have this right, other than for basic flight axis, the remainder of the functions I want on the stick have to be programmed from the Saitek software, not from the control menu in the sim.

What I mean is, if G lowers the gear, and you want joystick button D to lower the gear, you bind keystroke G to the joystick D button in the Saitek software. Right? You don't go into the control menu and try to bind the joystick button D to lower the gear.

Also, the manual for the throttle says it has a mouse on it. Will it eliminate my need to use my desk mouse to have mouse views? How is it activated on the stick?

flyplenty
05-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by geetarman:
So, if I have this right, other than for basic flight axis, the remainder of the functions I want on the stick have to be programmed from the Saitek software, not from the control menu in the sim.

What I mean is, if G lowers the gear, and you want joystick button D to lower the gear, you bind keystroke G to the joystick D button in the Saitek software. Right?
Right.

You don't go into the control menu and try to bind the joystick button D to lower the gear.
That's not necessary. If your profile is activated, pushing that joystick button would simply show up as "G", in this case.

Also, the manual for the throttle says it has a mouse on it. Will it eliminate my need to use my desk mouse to have mouse views? How is it activated on the stick?
Right click on the entry and choose Mouse. There's also a slider to set its sensitivity.

I've been figuring out this stuff in the past week, to make my own profile. The only trouble I had was with system stability (= blue screens http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif), but that's fixed with the latest drivers from Saitek (WinXP v.4.3.3). The only trouble left is with some file remaining in memory after quitting, which causes some weird hang-up effects. Supposedly that has something to do with Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading(?). I'm not about to switch that off though, so I'll make do with rebooting after I leave the game, or stopping its process in Task Manager if I can. Does anyone happen to know a decent fix for this?

dieg777
05-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I was having trouble with the joystick interrfering with my mouse and doing weird things in windows, word and explorer- I cured this (thanks rijnton http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif) by installing a pci usb hub and putting the x45 stick on this- now I have no problems- this is for an nvidia chipset motherboard.
Another cure is to change the default software and programming utility for a third party - you could check this out here http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/

some people prefer these to the saitek.