PDA

View Full Version : NOT Altairs sword in AS2!

shimpaku
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Iím sure this has been brought up before with all of the Assassins Creed addicts here but I did a search and found nothing on it.
I suppose Iím one of the few who played AS2 (finished) before I played AS1 which, by the way, I just also finished.
Now, whatís with Altairís sword in AS2! Itís NOT the same sword! Altairís sword was a curved sword and not a straight sword as portrayed in AS2. Something the developers at Ubisoft seemed to have overlooked!

shimpaku
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Iím sure this has been brought up before with all of the Assassins Creed addicts here but I did a search and found nothing on it.
I suppose Iím one of the few who played AS2 (finished) before I played AS1 which, by the way, I just also finished.
Now, whatís with Altairís sword in AS2! Itís NOT the same sword! Altairís sword was a curved sword and not a straight sword as portrayed in AS2. Something the developers at Ubisoft seemed to have overlooked!

Wonderglue
02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shimpaku:
Now, whatís with Altairís sword in AS2! Itís NOT the same sword! Altairís sword was a curved sword and not a straight sword as portrayed in AS2. Something the developers at Ubisoft seemed to have overlooked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Altair lived his life as an assassin's even after you finnish AC1. He did have different weapons and armor. Just look at his Armor in AC2. Is it the same white robes he wore during the gameplay? No,of course not. Since he became a Master of the Assassin's Order i doubt he had the same equipment as before.

bokeef04
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
i think the sword of Altair is a sword you get earlier, i know one of his earlier swords was straight with a eagle head pommel

senile old coot
02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
i think the sword of Altair is a sword you get earlier, i know one of his earlier swords was straight with a eagle head pommel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yees indeed it is. the sword that you wield throughout the majority of AC1 looks exactly the same as ''Altair's sword'' in AC2. the curved sword referred to (used by Altair towards the end of AC1) by the OP looks like the ''old Syrian sword'' in AC2. the strange thing is that the sword akin to Altair's standard sword in AC1 is insanely powerful in AC2 in comparison to the curved one.

shimpaku
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
That could possibly be but it just seemed odd.
One would naturally assume that after playing AS1 that Altair's sword in AS2 would be the one used in the original game. Whatever, I still think it's an oversight on the part of the developers, but that's just my opinion.

bokeef04
02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
heres a link to a reproduction of one of Altair's swords (http://globalgear.com.au/prod2123.htm)

Assassin_M
02-17-2010, 02:58 AM
BTW its AC not AS as in Assassins Creed and not Assassins Sreed

shimpaku
02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
BTW its AC not AS as in Assassins Creed and not Assassins Sreed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even realize I did that! Now you have me wondering how many time I've done that before! Very strange indeed.
Wow, if I were to spend time on this site and point out all of the misspelled words and atrocious grammar it would be a 24-7 job! lol

caswallawn_2k7
02-17-2010, 07:58 AM
it's his long sword, it was the short sword he kept on his back that was curved.

so it is still one of his swords just not the one your thinking of.

shimpaku
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
it's his long sword, it was the short sword he kept on his back that was curved.

so it is still one of his swords just not the one your thinking of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree. Yes, he also had a short sword/large dagger on his back that was curved but the long sword that he use latter in the game (referring to AC 1) was also curved. You can go back to a latter memory block and see for yourself. It's very fresh in my mind as I just completed the game yesterday and I made it a point to take a very close look when I noticed it. If I'm not mistaken, he had a straight sword at the beginning of the game until he was given a better sword by Al Mualim which was a curved sword.

caswallawn_2k7
02-17-2010, 08:35 AM
trust me this is the exact sword as used in every game, DS game (pre AC1) AC1, Bloodlines (Post AC1) and AC2 (by Ezio) I dont know what your looking at as his short sword is the only one that is curved.

senile old coot
02-17-2010, 08:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
his short sword is the only one that is curved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is not true. although Altair uses the sword you refer to (which is identical to Altair's sword in AC2) in all games where he is present, he definitely uses a completely different sword towards the end of AC1. it resembles the ''old syrian sword'' in AC2 (which would make sense for obvious reasons) and has a curved blade.http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4145/800pxmariduel1.jpg this is the curved sword the OP is referring to (i hope haha).

shimpaku
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al_Mualims_Nan:
his short sword is the only one that is curved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is not true. although Altair uses the sword you refer to (which is identical to Altair's sword in AC2) in all games where he is present, he definitely uses a completely different sword towards the end of AC1. it resembles the ''old syrian sword'' in AC2 (which would make sense for obvious reasons) and has a curved blade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU! I went back to memory block 5 & 6 and as I type this I'm looking at a CURVED sword with a completely different and more elaborate hilt that has a guard than what is considered as "Altair's Sword", and no....it is not the short sword/dagger that he carries on his back but his main sword that he carries at his side. Even the picture you were kind enough to post does not portray just how curved it is although it definitely does show the different hilt. Glad we (you) got this all straightened out as I thought I was beginning to lose it! lol

shimpaku
02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
OK, letís go through this if I may. At the beginning of Memory Block 5 Altair is given what is called: Assassinís Sword (Enhanced) which is the curved sword.
At the beginning of the game, in Memory Block 1, Altair is humiliated by Al Mualim for his failures. In Altairís Memory Log is says: ĒThe Masterís words wound worse than any blade. He says I have failed them. That the lives lost were lost because of me. Heís stripped me of my Rank and tools. Humiliated me before my BrothersÖ He is wrong. I am not a traitor."

Up until Memory Block 5 Altair did indeed have a straight sword. I guess my original question was some confusion as to which sword was considered as ďAltairís SwordĒ. Seeing that the curved sword given to him in Memory Block 5 was, for all practical purposes, considered as an upgraded and a more powerful sword I had assumed that this would then be considered as ďAltairís SwordĒ! In AC2, ďAltairís SwordĒ, as we all know, is a straight sword. So, with that, I can only surmise that the original straight sword that Altair carried for a good portion of AC1 (the less powerful one) is what would be considered as ďAltairís SwordĒ.

SWJS
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
There is a simple solution to this.

The developers chose the Eagle Head pommel sword to be Altair's official sword because of the symbolic eagle theme. It's a symbolic continuity nod to the meaning of their names: 'Eagle'.

shimpaku
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
There is a simple solution to this.

The developers chose the Eagle Head pommel sword to be Altair's official sword because of the symbolic eagle theme. It's a symbolic continuity nod to the meaning of their names: 'Eagle'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but you really lost me on this!
The ďeagleĒ head pommel is symbolic to whose name; the developers?
The eagle head has been a symbol used by ancient Rome, Nazi Germany, several Slavic countries and also as an American symbol. Mind you, Iím not arguing with your perceived logic as to the use of an eagle head on the pommel of Altairís sword, but Iím admittedly lost as to your hypothesis. Even then, I fail to see how this correlates with my original post/query as to the two different swords used in both of the Assassin's Creed games?

SWJS
02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The ďeagleĒ head pommel is symbolic to whose name; the developers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No. Altair and Ezio. Both of their names translate to Eagle. There's been a huge Eagle motif ever since before AC1. Note the pointed "beak" on Altair's hood, the pommel of his original sword, eagles circling viewpoints, the eagle cry every time Altair or Ezio perform a leap of faith etc.

The eagle motif is attributed to their abilities too, such as their advanced skills with Parkour. Their parkour antics have even been attributed to flying because of the way they gracefully hop from roof to roof.

It doesn't matter if the 'Old Syrian Sword' was Altair's most powerful sword in AC1, it's the symbolism of the eagle and the fact that Ezio is a direct descendant of Altair that makes the 'Sword of Altair' so significant. The eagle head pommel is significant to the meaning of bot Altair and Ezio's names, as well as their lineage, or bloodline.

Rompipalle1488
02-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Maybe, after he became a Master Assassin, Altair earned the sword. It is said to have been wrought of pure steel and ivory from the goddess Isis herself, perfect for a true Assassin Leader.
Al Mualim was possibly holding the sword during the final battle between him and Altair.
Of course, Ezio had to buy it and not earn it, which raises a question, how do you find the sword before you sell it? The sword should have been earned with the Armour of Altair.

SWJS
02-19-2010, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of course, Ezio had to buy it and not earn it, which raises a question, how do you find the sword before you sell it? The sword should have been earned with the Armour of Altair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree.

Rompipalle1488
02-19-2010, 03:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif