PDA

View Full Version : new to flight sim games few q's

upstaged
08-27-2005, 10:28 PM
im looking for some good flight sim games. As far as civ flight sim games, flight sim 2004 seems to be the clear way to go.
As far as military games go, im looking for some advice. I had been looking into bob II, but i've heard some negative reviews of it.
I heard il 2 was a good game, so now im looking into that. So if you would, convince me that i should buy il 2 and pacific fighters. Also since i really know nothing about them, it would be wonderful if someone could explain to me how they are related. (i.e. is it an expansion, should i buy the fb gold pack and pf).
thank you in advance.

upstaged
08-27-2005, 10:28 PM
im looking for some good flight sim games. As far as civ flight sim games, flight sim 2004 seems to be the clear way to go.
As far as military games go, im looking for some advice. I had been looking into bob II, but i've heard some negative reviews of it.
I heard il 2 was a good game, so now im looking into that. So if you would, convince me that i should buy il 2 and pacific fighters. Also since i really know nothing about them, it would be wonderful if someone could explain to me how they are related. (i.e. is it an expansion, should i buy the fb gold pack and pf).
thank you in advance.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
08-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Yes GoldPack, and PF, Buy it, and Lock On.
I'm clearly addicted.

upstaged
08-27-2005, 10:37 PM
also is cf 3 any good?

Scharnhorst1943
08-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Here is the runndown ...

IL2 forgotten battles:
Eastern front- soviets vs germans
Ace Expansion Pack:
more flyable planes
more maps
more campaigns
still all on eastern front
*these two you will buy as one (gold pack) among the flyable aircraft include: He 111, Hurricane, Spitfire, Me109, Me110, Fw190,Yak1,yak3, yak9, La7, I-16,I-153, P40,P51,P47,Lag3,Stuka,Me262,go229,he162,bl1,il2,e xc...

Pacific Fighters:
adds more maps(pacific theater)
adds more campaigns(for pacific theater)
adds more planes: betty,dauntless,hellcat,corsair,wildcat,p38,aircob ra,beaufighter,buffalo,zero,val,oscar,tony,frank,b 25, a20,
adds carrier warfair

So basically, you can fly
level bombers,
fighters,
ground attack for Germany, Russia, Itally, US, Japan, England.
You can also fly any of these planes in the Pacific, western europe, eastern europe, north africa.

You can fly planes of those nations in any theater. Plus there are more aircraft to fly than I can count. ( you will get mosquito and tempest and ju88 with next patch)

I will say that you have to patch the bejesus out of this game, but once you get everything downloaded, it is practically unbeatable as far as # of flyable planes and single player carrer options. Even though development is about to end on it, I still highly suggest getting it, because it offers the most bang for your buck.

ytareh
08-28-2005, 02:54 AM
If you want a cheap appetiser IL2 Sturmovik alone is good (if slightly less polished than its successors)But for the full experience You need IL2Forgotten Battles(a separate 'starting point' -not an add on to IL2 Sturmovik)then as you get hooked (or immediately if you like playing online -as most servers are FB/AEP?PF based-but bear in mind that online is much harder)you can get the Aces Expansion (grab it -its getting rarer) and Pacific Fighters.Youll also need 3 or 4 biggish patches if you want to play online.No other flight simulator is worth touching (especially CFS3)until youve cut your teeth on the IL2 series...And yes I am hearing nothing but bad things about BOB2....

ytareh
08-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Also bear in mind that in Civilian flight sims 'nothing actually happens'(!).Well that would be my opinion!

Ranger_80
08-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Yes definately get IL2:FB/AEP/PF nothing else comes close at the moment. Lock on is a great modern sim also have look at Falcon 4.0: Allied Force if you want to strain yourself technically.

Beirut
08-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Get as many as you can afford. That's what I do.

Ytareh is right, get the original IL2 if you can find it. Very inexpensive and runs very well on older machines (if you have an older machine). It screams on newer machines. I'm playing it right now with huge air battles that I could never get away with in IL2FB+PF. It still looks great and the sound, I think, is better than in IL2FB.

Dr. Bones
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
The IL-2 series (up to and including FB/PF) is far and away the best WWII flight sim available. There *are* weaknesses, but the good points more than make up for them.

If you want a modern jet sim, I'd go with Falcon 4: Allied Force. You can go the full technical brain-overload route as someone mentioned earlier, or you can set the avionics down to Simplified if you prefer. The graphics are outdated but it's the best dynamic campaign you'll see in a flight sim, with the *possible* exception of the Enemy Engaged series.

upstaged
08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
i went and bought fb gold pack and pf for 50 usdollars at compusa, last copies of each game they had in stock. I trust i wont be disappointed with this choice?

ashley2005
08-28-2005, 09:56 AM
you wont be disapointed

soon as you play you fall in love in my experiance lol ..everyone i let play never comes off it ..be warned if you have a social life you wont for a few months http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Skycat_2
08-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I've owned many WWII air combat sims over the years, including CFS-3, and I agree that you have made a good purchase. It will keep you busy for quite a while.

Bearcat99
08-28-2005, 06:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by upstaged:
i went and bought fb gold pack and pf for 50 usdollars at compusa, last copies of each game they had in stock. I trust i wont be disappointed with this choice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not be disapointed. Hit the Sturmovik Essentials theread in my sig. Bookmark it.. it has a lot of good info and utilities in it. Keep Airwarfare.com at the top of your list. Any questions you have.... no matter how stupid they may seem... bring them to these forums. Read the ReadMe that comes with the sim. Patch the sim with 3.04m and then 4.01m.
Welcome aboard.

Oh... one more thing...... dont waste your time with CFS3. Spend that time learning this one rather than seeking out and downloading all te 3rd party stuff ypou need to make CFS3 a almost decent sim. Just do what I said above..... and take your time... and you will have a decent sim. Expect a learning cirve of at least 3 months... to begin to fully appreciate the sim. Get a decent joystick. Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first.

Lastly read this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4871047252).

Bearcat99
08-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah..... I forgot about all this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4591089933/r/4591089933#4591089933).

fordfan25
08-28-2005, 09:53 PM
yea FB,AEP,PF is worth it. if your into ww2 fighters anyway. this is one of the few games im still playing 3 years after i bought it "i count from FB release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif"

shinden1974
08-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I've almost sim'd everything and this is the finest combat flightsim ever made, with lock-on a very close second, many will swap these.

It has little flaws and quirks that you'll see constantly complained about, like mine on PF

...don't let this deter you, the fact that people are complaining about dive speed of a certain plane, location of objects in the 3d model and lack of certain planes/maps actually tell you how good it is...as opposed to massive bugs that still exist on CFS series and big issues that have always stayed unresolved in various other flight sims.

I've spent much of my first months on it just learning to take off and land on various planes, and it's one of the few that can give me satisfaction just flying around with no air combat.