PDA

View Full Version : P-47: Don't expect any NACA charts from me

chris455
06-29-2005, 02:52 PM
..............as this is just a comparison between pre and post 4.01 FMs.

In any case, after flying the "new" Jug for awhile now, she seems to have lost:
1. In energy retention in the verticle (abbreviated zoom-climb) and;
2. In roll rate vs 3.x

Gains appear to have been made:

3. In horizontal turning ability (you actually can outturn a Zero in a P-47 now, provided it's above 250mph indicated- kind like RL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) and;
4. In dive acceleration.(very quick to gain speed with the nose down)

It seems I'm learning to fly my favorite mount all over again- but in a strange way, I kinda like it.
Nope, no tracks, no charts, nothing but an opinion. Can any other Jug afficionados verify/ rebut this?
S!

chris455
06-29-2005, 02:52 PM
..............as this is just a comparison between pre and post 4.01 FMs.

In any case, after flying the "new" Jug for awhile now, she seems to have lost:
1. In energy retention in the verticle (abbreviated zoom-climb) and;
2. In roll rate vs 3.x

Gains appear to have been made:

3. In horizontal turning ability (you actually can outturn a Zero in a P-47 now, provided it's above 250mph indicated- kind like RL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) and;
4. In dive acceleration.(very quick to gain speed with the nose down)

It seems I'm learning to fly my favorite mount all over again- but in a strange way, I kinda like it.
Nope, no tracks, no charts, nothing but an opinion. Can any other Jug afficionados verify/ rebut this?
S!

Badsight.
06-29-2005, 11:35 PM
the massive speed-up in roll rate it got made it quite the DFing Jug

thats diminished slightly IMO in 4.01

chris455
06-30-2005, 12:25 AM
I agree!
BTW, nice to hear from you M8. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Diablo310th
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Heyy Chris455...yep your'e right. The zoom seems to start very well and fast then really falls off fast. Roll rate is slower but I think most all ac lost some roll rate due to the torque effect. She does fly lighter now like you said IF you keep your speed up. Put that nose down and she really soars but as soon as u pull the nose up there it goes again. The biggest problem i ahve right now with it is the DM. Everytime I get hit I have wing damage and lose not jsut some controls but alot of times all controls. Something is very wrong there. She can't take damage like she did and keep flying.

VW-IceFire
06-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Roll is down on the P-47 but its also down across the board...including the fastest rolling aircraft the FW190. So I don't think its a huge issue.

What I suspect is maybe Oleg put the bombracks back into the equation. He said he took them out to increase roll rate due to complaints at the time. Its still nowhere near as slow rolling as it was originally.

I think the P-47 may actually be the nicer plane to fly over the P-51 now...

Blackdog5555
06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I love the Jug and 1C is doing ok by it.

Problems:

1. it has the a super cheesey cockpit. huge Octagons and low LOD testures. Worst in the whole series.

2. firing the fifties sounds like high speed farting. putting playing cards in the spoke of my bike sounds more realistic.

3. Tracer fire is almost invisable so deflection shooting is near impossible.

4. Low altitude performance is overmodeled but high altitude performance is undermodeled.
The problems. IRL P47 Jocks would never go/bounce under 16,000ft... ever.

5. doesnt take damage in way tht would impress.

It seems it was tweaked for low altitude play which is ok by me. The cockpit is very bad though.

Zoom climb is more realistic. roll is ok.

I still cant catch planes (Zeros and FW or 109s)by chasing them in a dive.. So dive accelleration has not improved. ( I couldnt catch a 210 in a dive.
3 stars out 5.....maybe 3.5...

Just my opinion.. no charts either....dont really care.

ElAurens
06-30-2005, 11:39 AM
I bagged a Jug last night with my A6M2-N in Zekes vs. Wildcats. It would seem it's DM needs some tweaking. But it was fun to shoot one down in my lowly float plane. Got the same pilot minutes before while he was in a P38L Late. Guess he came back for revenge...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Maple_Tiger
06-30-2005, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Roll is down on the P-47 but its also down across the board...including the fastest rolling aircraft the FW190. So I don't think its a huge issue.

What I suspect is maybe Oleg put the bombracks back into the equation. He said he took them out to increase roll rate due to complaints at the time. Its still nowhere near as slow rolling as it was originally.

I think the P-47 may actually be the nicer plane to fly over the P-51 now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll say, the D27 out accelrates the Mustang in 4.01. I'll choose the D27 over the Poy anyday. That said, I just love the P-38 late.

I can't realy add any more comments as I haven't tride all the plane yet.

chris455
06-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, the DM of the Jug has always been a sore spot for me. And I think right now it may be at it's nadir. But I doubt it will change for the better. Too much other stuff on ICs plate.
Fortunately I can work with the Jug as presently constituted. I think most of us can. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
S! to all.

Blackdog5555
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Actually for shooting down Zeros, which are just as tough as a Jug now IMO, (can't flame them at all) I prefer the MustangIII. Its the only US plane that can climb, catch and turn with a zeke. the 4 50s seems just as efficient as the 8. I was looking at the P47 in slow mo firing its 8 50s. I think we are back to having dispersion problems again. They fire high and low so you cant good concentration. Really have to set them at 175mtrs and get right on the tail for effective shooting. all 20s seem to guite deadly now. of course the pony still has the the one hit merlin. Still fun to fly.. Remedy is not to get shot at. cheers

Blackdog5555
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Jeesh, its getting boring in here. Anyway I just had some fun in the P47. I change the convergence to 170 and waited till i was at .25 to .18 to fire. Actually pretty effective. I actually caught some Zeros on fire. Engine fires though.