PDA

View Full Version : DVI to HDMI, 52" Sony Really Shines

249th_Maico
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
In the last two months I have been contemplating the purchase of a new TV. Finaly a couple of days ago I went to Virgin Mega sto and got the 52 Sony Bravia. The selling point being that it would play PS3 in High Def 1080p. Well, not all games are 1080p (I did not know this) Of course tv transmission here in Qatar is in 420 or something like that. But I wanted the TV. The tv displays the defenition of the input. Here is how it went. TV 420(or 470) PS3 Colin McRae Dirt 720 resolution. Ridge Racer 7 1080p. It was the best I have ever seen a cousel look in my house. Then finnally, My old 3.4P4 with 256 BFG video card it plays at 1080p. Needless to say I am became very excited. I changed res to 1920 x1080 and immediately saw the PC come alive. I had nothing loaded on this PC, I loaded up Panzer Elite and WOW!!! I am on the hunt for a desk sized 1080p TV to use as a monitor. Tommorow I am loading up IL2 just to see what this is like.

Stay Tuned

249th_Maico
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
In the last two months I have been contemplating the purchase of a new TV. Finaly a couple of days ago I went to Virgin Mega sto and got the 52 Sony Bravia. The selling point being that it would play PS3 in High Def 1080p. Well, not all games are 1080p (I did not know this) Of course tv transmission here in Qatar is in 420 or something like that. But I wanted the TV. The tv displays the defenition of the input. Here is how it went. TV 420(or 470) PS3 Colin McRae Dirt 720 resolution. Ridge Racer 7 1080p. It was the best I have ever seen a cousel look in my house. Then finnally, My old 3.4P4 with 256 BFG video card it plays at 1080p. Needless to say I am became very excited. I changed res to 1920 x1080 and immediately saw the PC come alive. I had nothing loaded on this PC, I loaded up Panzer Elite and WOW!!! I am on the hunt for a desk sized 1080p TV to use as a monitor. Tommorow I am loading up IL2 just to see what this is like.

Stay Tuned

Chivas
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes I was looking to use a Sharp Aquoas 32" 1920x1080p as a monitor. I'd be interested to hear how Il-2 looks and works on a TV around that resolution. Can't make up my mind. Alot of what I've been hearing is conflictive.

Conroe 6400 @3 gig
2 gigs DDR2-1066
7900GTX

Installing a 6850 tommorow to overclock to 4 gigs or so. Waiting for the next generation video cards for a BOB upgrade, and maybe one of the new 780i motherboards with three 16 X PCI slots.

249th_Maico
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Chivas:
I was a bit sceptical of spending this kind of money. No one was really giving me a good assesment of the performance an HDTV would get with a PC. I was quite confused about HDMI and could not understand why NO TV had DVI.
Here is the defenition I found for HDMI.
HDMI - High-Definition Multimedia Interface. USB-like digital video connectivity standard designed as a successor to DVI; can transmit both uncompressed digital audio and video signals; protected by HDCP digital copy protection.
No wonder it looks so good. Now I got to find a 1080p TV in something smaller.
I will be home in a bit. I am going to load IL2 on this PC and see how it looks.
The TV shop said I could bring my PC in and hook it up to thier TV.... You could try this...

Wurkeri
12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
Yes I was looking to use a Sharp Aquoas 32" 1920x1080p as a monitor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't the Aquoas a plasma type? I think Sony does better because it's LCD.

edit: Sorry I was wrong, it's a LCD as well.

Chivas
12-02-2007, 02:02 PM
The negative thing I read about HDMI is the quality control, because there is no standard set yet. So imagine you have to be careful buying any HDMI cable. etc

249th_Maico
12-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Update. I had no time today so I loaded WOV. It was amazing to see the planes flying around looking as big as my legs. The quality of this TV has really disturbed me. WOV played at 1920x1080 32 with no difficulties whatsoever. How will I explain to friends, family and my girlfriend another 40" LCD???? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Its the smallest 1080p I can find.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif I can honestly say, this is an awesome find. My buddy at work cant beleive it and he is coming over to check it out tommorow. I cant wait to see the look in his face. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

horseback
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Maico, check to see if you can get something like a 27" Olevia. A couple of years ago, I got a 26" Olevia LCD TV with a 1080p capability that I use for my bedroom TV/monitor. It ROCKS!!!

Biggest problem was that the HDTV input is YPbPr format; I had to get a breakout cable to use it with my computer. I recently upgraded to an 8800GT from PNY, and it comes with a dedicated HDTV output and breakout cable.

Now, if my job would allow me to do more than drive home, eat, shower, and sleep, I'd be lovin' life...

cheers

horseback

249th_Maico
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and it comes with a dedicated HDTV output and breakout cable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dont... dont... my wallet is scared..