PDA

View Full Version : Logical rudder input

Billy_BigBoy
11-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I'm a bit confused.

Yesterday I hooked up my new Saitek rudder (what a beauty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and what a mess to integrate the software with my X-45 software), but actual assigning made me puzzled.
In the real world you (for what I'm being told) you push the right pedal and the rudder goes right, steering the plane to the right. I feel this is not natural, for being a biker that is.
I was thinking of inverting the rudders, but I want to learn it the right way. But still, is there any logic behind it?

Billy_BigBoy
11-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I'm a bit confused.

Yesterday I hooked up my new Saitek rudder (what a beauty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and what a mess to integrate the software with my X-45 software), but actual assigning made me puzzled.
In the real world you (for what I'm being told) you push the right pedal and the rudder goes right, steering the plane to the right. I feel this is not natural, for being a biker that is.
I was thinking of inverting the rudders, but I want to learn it the right way. But still, is there any logic behind it?

DaimonSyrius
11-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Being a biker too, I can relate to your question http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Yes, there is a logic: in airplanes, the steering device -the rudder- is at the back, not at the front. Imagine a bike in which the handlebar would act on the rear wheel; you would push the right handle forward and the bike would turn to the right.

The mechanical logic is quite simple when considering the way the pedals are linked to the rudder by cables or rods.

Cheers,
S.

The-Pizza-Man
11-08-2007, 05:58 AM
ride a motorbike and you'll learn to push the otherway.

Bearcat99
11-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Look at the pedals in the cockpit of the plane when you set up the rudders.. set yours up the same way.. You should have no issues with the software.. I found it easier to just create a profile for the pedals.. and then load both...

Billy_BigBoy
11-08-2007, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Look at the pedals in the cockpit of the plane when you set up the rudders.. set yours up the same way.. You should have no issues with the software.. I found it easier to just create a profile for the pedals.. and then load both... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with the software was the update. I must have used a pretty old version of the SST program. While trying to update with the included software that came with the rudder it started with "Setup has detectected an old Saitek installation, this will be removed", but it never did. Uninstalling was the hardest way, eventually digging into the registery. It took me about 20 reboots to finally get things working with the latest software.
Anyway, I guess using rudders for the first time is like using a mouse for the first time, embarrassing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Bearcat99
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah but once you get used to it it becomes almost like walking.

RedToo
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Same for me, when I first got pedals setting them up the wrong way seemed much more natural and I haven't ridden a bike for nearly thirty years! Took quite a while for the correct way to feel natural.

RedToo

Zoom2136
11-08-2007, 11:42 AM
BTW... being a biker myself.... for more than 15 year... when you are going say... 50 mph... you actually have to push... the right side of the handle bars to turn the bike to the right...

This is due to the centrifugal force acting on the front wheel...

Only at very low speed do we pull on the right side of the handle bars to turn right....

So actually setting up the rudder correctly should feel natural to a biker....

Sry for the english guys I'm french... the proper french term for this is "contre braquage" I don't know the english equivalent....

K_Freddie
11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
You don't need to install the software for these pedals. IL2 automatically recognises the pedals - just plug it into a USB port.

As for the left/right thingy - I spent a whole 3 hours trying to explain to a 'MR. Know-It-All' how rudders work on a plane. Man! this guy was a pain in the ###. Trying to explain how a aircraft pivots around the Yaw axis has never taken me so long.
I'm not saying that you're like this but this guy just would not listen to anything but his own selfconvincing voice.. I just walked away shaking my head.

Essentially I explained in terms of an action reacting behind you (rudders)has the opposite reaction to the action in front (bikers handle bars) of you.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

The-Pizza-Man
11-09-2007, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:
BTW... being a biker myself.... for more than 15 year... when you are going say... 50 mph... you actually have to push... the right side of the handle bars to turn the bike to the right...

This is due to the centrifugal force acting on the front wheel...

Only at very low speed do we pull on the right side of the handle bars to turn right....

So actually setting up the rudder correctly should feel natural to a biker....

Sry for the english guys I'm french... the proper french term for this is "contre braquage" I don't know the english equivalent.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the term your looking for is "counter-steer", it still actually workds at low speed as well. Just give the handle bar a bit of a shove and it tips the bike over nicely. I find it great for avoiding junk/pot holes on the road.