PDA

View Full Version : Help with vid card / forum search

clayman_52
05-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I need your help guys. I will buy a new vid card this week and I remember some very good threads on the subject but everytime I try a search I get this error ...

http://home.comcast.net/~vclayman/Error.jpg

I've even tried scrolling back to see if there is a thread on this, but no go. It's got to be something simple, or I've missed? Over the years I've seen a ton of vid cards threads in the forum, never had a problem searching a thread and didn't want to post anything "vid card related" I've seen viewed as a flame or trolling in the past.

I remember 4 or 5 excellent NVidia - ATI threads. I currently own a 9800XT and have narrowed my choice down to a BFG 6800 Ultra OC and an ATI X850XT PE. Not owning a NVidia card for two years I think the treads said they run OpenGL better.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I'm looking to buy based on what would be best for BOB ... while also playing AEP+PF, FS9, SH III and COD too.</span>

I've done my homework. The 850 is faster by a hair, but the 6800 supports 3.0 Shaders. HardOCP and other sites point to each card having strengths in different games ... but none of the sims I/we play.

Here are some other points I'm trying to check out:

- OPEN GL IMAGE quality: I was able to scroll and find some threads recommending NVidia over ATI ... but 6600, or 6800 GT's.

- Will the shaders be an issue, especially in BOB ... to quote HardOCP "Overall, out of the games we tested, most favor the ATI RADEON X850 XT-PE. However, one game which could be an indication of what the future holds shows a clear advantage for the GeForce 6800 Ultra, this game is of course Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It will be interesting to see how other future titles deal with the different shader modes and capabilities of video cards."

- SH III €¦ how bad are the particle effects REALLY affecting the 6800 €¦ and do the 71.89 really solve most of these issues (again, the forum search issue)

- The 850 vents out of the case (nice touch) ... the 6800 does not (case good, specs below)

- ATI one plug, one slot ... 6800 two and two (power not an issue have a very Spartan system)

This is in no way a flame ... I really would like the communities advise before I spend $500 to $700 on a card I use to play flight sims 4+ hours a day.

Steve V or Hunter ... I'd REALY appreciate your advise on this if possible too. I'm leaning toward the 6800 on the hunch it will pay off over the next year and a half.

Help me out folks ... what am I doing wrong search wise ... or, which do you think is the card to go with?

Here's my specs ...

-Intel P4 3.2GHz,
-Asus P4C800-E Deluxe - Rev 1.02, BIOS v1014
-1GB OCZ 3500 Copper 2-3-3-5
-ATI Radeon 9800XT
-120GB SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
-Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
-Enermax VS 465W ATX12 ver 1.2
-Lian Li PC-60 case
-120mm in on side + 4 (2in,2out) Thermaltake Smart Adj 80mm (1200-4000rpm)

Thank you much for the help,
Regards ... clayman

clayman_52
05-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I need your help guys. I will buy a new vid card this week and I remember some very good threads on the subject but everytime I try a search I get this error ...

http://home.comcast.net/~vclayman/Error.jpg

I've even tried scrolling back to see if there is a thread on this, but no go. It's got to be something simple, or I've missed? Over the years I've seen a ton of vid cards threads in the forum, never had a problem searching a thread and didn't want to post anything "vid card related" I've seen viewed as a flame or trolling in the past.

I remember 4 or 5 excellent NVidia - ATI threads. I currently own a 9800XT and have narrowed my choice down to a BFG 6800 Ultra OC and an ATI X850XT PE. Not owning a NVidia card for two years I think the treads said they run OpenGL better.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I'm looking to buy based on what would be best for BOB ... while also playing AEP+PF, FS9, SH III and COD too.</span>

I've done my homework. The 850 is faster by a hair, but the 6800 supports 3.0 Shaders. HardOCP and other sites point to each card having strengths in different games ... but none of the sims I/we play.

Here are some other points I'm trying to check out:

- OPEN GL IMAGE quality: I was able to scroll and find some threads recommending NVidia over ATI ... but 6600, or 6800 GT's.

- Will the shaders be an issue, especially in BOB ... to quote HardOCP "Overall, out of the games we tested, most favor the ATI RADEON X850 XT-PE. However, one game which could be an indication of what the future holds shows a clear advantage for the GeForce 6800 Ultra, this game is of course Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It will be interesting to see how other future titles deal with the different shader modes and capabilities of video cards."

- SH III €¦ how bad are the particle effects REALLY affecting the 6800 €¦ and do the 71.89 really solve most of these issues (again, the forum search issue)

- The 850 vents out of the case (nice touch) ... the 6800 does not (case good, specs below)

- ATI one plug, one slot ... 6800 two and two (power not an issue have a very Spartan system)

This is in no way a flame ... I really would like the communities advise before I spend $500 to $700 on a card I use to play flight sims 4+ hours a day.

Steve V or Hunter ... I'd REALY appreciate your advise on this if possible too. I'm leaning toward the 6800 on the hunch it will pay off over the next year and a half.

Help me out folks ... what am I doing wrong search wise ... or, which do you think is the card to go with?

Here's my specs ...

-Intel P4 3.2GHz,
-Asus P4C800-E Deluxe - Rev 1.02, BIOS v1014
-1GB OCZ 3500 Copper 2-3-3-5
-ATI Radeon 9800XT
-120GB SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
-Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
-Enermax VS 465W ATX12 ver 1.2
-Lian Li PC-60 case
-120mm in on side + 4 (2in,2out) Thermaltake Smart Adj 80mm (1200-4000rpm)

Thank you much for the help,
Regards ... clayman

georgeo76
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Mind my asking why your looking to upgrade such a solid rig in the first place?

No matter what you get, by the time BoB comes out (middle of next year, maybe?) it will be average, not to mention much cheaper. If your looking for hardware that will run BoB as well as your current rig no doubt runs FB, you may find yourself upgrading again.

clayman_52
05-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Very good point georgeo ... it's those threads I remember. Many saying NVidia ran OpenGL much better ... and 50% FPS increase in 9800 to 800 & 6800. I had always believed ATI was the card for IL2. But I can't get our forum search to work?????

Upgrading before AGP's are gone, tax return here now, and I've got my wife agreeing. If I wait ... all that may be availble is PCIe ... new MoBo/Mem/CPU & Vid ... big $$$. $500 now ... $2000+ later if (thats a big IF) I can talk her into it (or steel from the kids college fund http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) LOL.

Lastly, I LAN with two friends who have the same system. They both bought X800XT's and can run IL2 / perfect / OpenGL at 16x12 with everything on at much higher frames than I can at 1280x960. FS9 also runs faster ... but looks like mine (so-so) image. One friend with a 2.8 CPU has a 6800 Ultra and FS9 looks UNREAL ... unfortunatly thats all he runs so I can't see if IL2/PF runs better in OPenGL.

I want to see those old threads. I have a hunch they showed NVidia may be cleaner ...