View Full Version : Need advice on updating my graphics card

01-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I have a Pent 4 1800 Mhz , 512 MB DDR RAM and a Geforce 3 64 MB.

I know it's time to upgrade the graphics card. I've been looking at these two. What would you suggest. I'd like to stay around the $130.00 range.

ATI Radeonâ® 9550 Video Card (100-437105)
•256MB AGP
•Great 3D game play •Amazing video playback
•Dual-monitor support


eVGA GeForceâ"ž˘ FX 5500 Video Card (128-A8-N319-DX)
•128MB AGP
•Accelerated PC gaming •Realistic 3D graphics
•Multi-display support

Any input would be much appreciated.Thanks.

01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
get the 256 mb card, it will help out in the long run on the lower $ cards

01-27-2005, 12:14 AM
And make sure it has at least 8 pixel pipelines to render with. I know the 9500Pro has 8 pipes. Not to sure about the 9550 or the Nvidia card(s). A $130 will get you a 9700Pro from sellers on eBay. It is only a very small step under the 9800Pro. Personally, I think you should take your $130, log onto eBay, and find a 9700Pro. You will not be disappointed coming from where you have been.

01-27-2005, 12:15 AM
keep ur old card and use the money to upgrade ur pc instead, then when u done that start saving again for a new vid card, as if u were to get a really good vid card atm ur pc would hold it bak and its performance would suffer, i would get new mobo ram cpu psu and the extras like fans and stuff....

01-27-2005, 04:06 AM
Dont buy ATI this is what you get.


ATI = -1sale

01-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Well, both cards are not cards I would get. In spite of the graphics bug ATI is currently having, I would still go ATI at this point. What is your budget for this upgrade?

01-27-2005, 09:15 AM
In my experience, the bug Nero is on about only ever happened to me when I Patched an already patched install of PF....

use one of the BIG paches 3.0---> 3.XX and it works fine.

My advice to you nero is reinstall PF....

01-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry about that... now for answering the topic at hand...

I would agree with Hunter....
the 9550 can be flashed to 9600 specs anyway AFAIK...

no point putting anything better/faster in that rig... then the CPU and other stuff wouldnt be able to keep up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

01-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Nero's been playing with the gravity gun & paint pot againhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Had the same thing Nero. As Andrew said you can solve it with a reinstall & only patch with 303 & 304. It worked for me.

01-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, I just want something to get my buy until I upgrade my whole machine. I can't even run Pacific Fighters on my Ge-force 3 64 MB with any gunfire or activity in the air. What about this card?

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV Out, 8X AGP

01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
In that case, a 9600 card would be fine.

01-28-2005, 02:40 PM
If you go with the GF FX cards make sure it's an Ultra 256mb card. They are selling for very reasonable prices now.... under $100. on some sites. If Hunter82 at Magnum PC doesn't have them, try pricewatch.com.

I couldn't afford a nVidia 6800 and opted for a FX 5600Ultra 256mb card.... it works very well.

01-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Go with this one,


It's a great card and can be overclocked with atitool to almost double it's core speed. The 9550
is a clocked down version of a 9600 so it has a lot of potential. I love it and it's less than $90 us with free second day shipping.