PDA

View Full Version : Crazy AI Wingman....ugh

RS.Wedge
01-27-2006, 04:14 PM
The other night I loaded up my Wings Over Waves Campaign (CatBall) and I just finished a mission. Me and my wingman fly all the way back to the CV and I request to land and get the OK to do so. When all of a sudden, I am just about to land on the USS Enterprise in my F4F-4, my wingman comes in right below me about 20 feet from the surface of the water. Just as I'm thinking "what the heck is he doing?" the guy crashes right into the back of the CV - just below the deck! I land ok in a state of shock!

What is up with that?

RS.Wedge
01-27-2006, 04:14 PM
The other night I loaded up my Wings Over Waves Campaign (CatBall) and I just finished a mission. Me and my wingman fly all the way back to the CV and I request to land and get the OK to do so. When all of a sudden, I am just about to land on the USS Enterprise in my F4F-4, my wingman comes in right below me about 20 feet from the surface of the water. Just as I'm thinking "what the heck is he doing?" the guy crashes right into the back of the CV - just below the deck! I land ok in a state of shock!

What is up with that?

tedinaz
01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
It was probably the sight of a Yorktown class CV that threw him off....

FoolTrottel
01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Try and tell 'm to return to base, just before you request yer landing clearance.. it might work!

dbillo
01-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Oh man! I hear ya bro! Wingmen try to maintain formation with you at all costs, even if it means flying into the ground, or a ship, or you!

I posted about this before and got some advice as follows:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:
I do know that in the missions I have "flown", a "return to base" command before I get lined up with the airstrip works pretty well. Typically, I use RTB when I can land within 3-5 minutes.

If I give a RTB too early the AI will be trying to land when I do. If I give a RTB too late then I've got problems again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haven't really tested this yet.

Tooz_69GIAP
01-27-2006, 07:13 PM
From what I know of mission building, and how the AI follows waypoints in the game, here's what I reckon:

If you are the flight lead, and you follow the waypoints as they are given in the mission all the way through to the final approach, then the flight AI will also do so, and go from one waypoint to the next, and once they reach the final waypoint will follow a landing a pattern.

If, however, during the mission, you have not hit a waypoint, and deviated from the intended course, your flight will stick with you, but this means when you reach home base, the landing pattern is not triggered for the AI because you missed one of the waypoints.

What happens then is that the AI wingman will stick right on your backside all the way in resulting in the AI colliding with you, or crashing, or somethig.

Here's where your AI commands come into play. There are are several to do with waypoints. There are two ways to avoid this happening by using the commands.

Firstly, you order your AI to the "next waypoint" and keep doing this until the waypoint the AI are flying toward is the last one (you really need to have mimimap path on for this otherwise you wont know which is the final waypoint).

Secondaly, order your AI to "return to base" a good few kilometres before you get there. This should result in the AI taking up a landing pattern once they get to base.

And always ask permission from ground control for permission to land if you are worried about the AI, as the tower will usually wave off any AI in favour of your final approach.

dbillo
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
Firstly, you order your AI to the "next waypoint" and keep doing this until the waypoint the AI are flying toward is the last one (you really need to have mimimap path on for this otherwise you wont know which is the final waypoint).

Secondaly, order your AI to "return to base" a good few kilometres before you get there. This should result in the AI taking up a landing pattern once they get to base. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like that just might do the trick! Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

jds1978
01-27-2006, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was probably the sight of a Yorktown class CV that threw him off.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gorgeous ships

SeaFireLIV
01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Ordering your flight to rtb should do it even if you`re right over the base...Unfortunately, you`re stuck if you`re not the flight leader and your AI lead is killed.

Grey_Mouser67
01-29-2006, 08:58 PM
I think the AI are pretty good overall in this game, but there are some really, really stupid AI tricks that I wish Oleg would address....

1. Kill Stealing bastages! You should want to save your wingmen...instead I look forward to the enemy weeding them out so I can get a few kills.

2. Ramming...this happens while the AI is stealing a kill or you are landing...why doesn't wheels down just mean land! I've been rammed more offline lately by friendlies than online.

3. The command "attack all" causes ai to instantly drop bombs, no matter where they are at!

4. AI ingnores enemy flying between them and you...sometimes while they are shooting at you!

5. It is painfully obvious that AI can dive their aircraft past limits and ride around with boost on, radiators closed with no penalty or time limit.

6. Last, but not least, will Oleg please teach the AI how to shift superchargers! Really annoying to have to keep most fights blow 12,000 ft, lest the zeroes out run a corsair!

icrash
01-30-2006, 09:32 PM
In Zeuscat's Straight & True, I never have to worry about what my wingman does when returning to base. That's because the sucker gets shot down early on in the raid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif. Heck I think I'm up to 5 or six now & might start painting kills on my bird.

ATLAS_DEATH
01-30-2006, 09:41 PM
The manual does give a warning.. The player should always be flight lead.

PlusWave
03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi,

before you land you should give your flight the order to land too.
If the AI doesn't recognize that you're landing it tries to stay in formation and crashes.

You should make use of the in game radio command system.
If you encounter crashes at other locations, open up the formation.

PlusWave

Zeus-cat
03-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Telling him to "Break" usually doesn't work. Tell him to "Return to base" or "Go to Previous Waypoint". These commands can be issued at any time and seem to work most of the time.

I should have named my "Straight and True" campaign "They were Expendable - your wingman that is".

Trent001
03-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I've had a similiar crazy situation when playing a DCG Campaign in New Guinea. 3 flights ahead of me (12 planes in total) crashed on landing as a supply convoy of trucks had decided to park at the end of the airstrip!! After I started hearing cries for help on the radio I went to have a look and couldn't believe it as I helplessly watched another 11 aircraft all crash as they attempted to land.

Granted this is probably more to do with the DCG setup then anything else, it does high light the AI ain't to clever (e.g. the infamous crashing into f@cking mountains in New Guinea routine)... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Slipstream_
03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
funniest yet was when the poor sod flew straight into a parachute. And promptly exploded. Quite the humour I like.

And suddenly I see the purpose of paratroopers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Treetop64
03-06-2006, 05:59 PM
What everyone else says. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Always fly as the lead (you don't have to be the squadron CO to do this, however) and issue orders to land before you RTB.

mortoma
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Try and tell 'm to return to base, just before you request yer landing clearance.. it might work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That does in fact work. If you are flight leader, the only way to go.