PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't head move forward/back on German planes ?

Ed_the_sock
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
When you switch between gunsight view and normal on most fighters your head moves forward back quite a lot - if you look sideways and swap between the two its quite noticable.

The only planes this doesn't seem to happen on is the two german fighters , 109 and 190.

Any reason for this ? Its very useful to see round the cockpit bars - at least in the pitch axis - if your chasing somebody.

Ed_the_sock
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
When you switch between gunsight view and normal on most fighters your head moves forward back quite a lot - if you look sideways and swap between the two its quite noticable.

The only planes this doesn't seem to happen on is the two german fighters , 109 and 190.

Any reason for this ? Its very useful to see round the cockpit bars - at least in the pitch axis - if your chasing somebody.

carguy_
04-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Now that you mantion it imo it`s not necessary.Wide view is better for watching the enemies tragectory for a nice deflection shot.POV is norrowed which in German planes is already tragic because of the cockpits.

http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
And on the 7th day the Lord looked upon the the cockpit of the FW190 and BF109 and LO decided to go whine to UBI Forum which he then realised he hadnt invented yet so he thought stuff it then and had a rest . http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/1241.gif

Chuck_Older
04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one who likes the 109's cockpit view?

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Am I the only one who likes the 109's cockpit view?

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have trak Ir Chuck ?

JG14_Josf
04-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Ed_the_sock,

I use the Shift F1 feature constantly to see around canopy obstructions. It is a real shame that the 109 and 190 are handicaped with minimum forward and back movement because the late 109s and the 190s need this feature due to very thick forward canopy framing.

Trying to track a target in the forward up and foward side views is very difficult and only slightly alleviated with the use of this foward/back/side to side view change feature using Shift F1.

Note also that the Fw190 is not only limited in foward and back movement but it also goes from foward up to backward and down. The Fw190 Shift F1 moves as if the Pilot had a turtle's head. It goes out and foward then back and down as if the Fw190 pilot is afraid to stick his head out too far and will do so only when the need arises to look through the gunsight.

Note also how the Me262 has plenty of head movement.

The simulated Me262 pilot looks around his canopy bars without any problems. The Fw190 and later 109 simulated pilots have no interest at all in making the effort to move their heads to see around canopy obstructions and this doesn't make any sense. If a real Fw190 or late war 109 pilot could not see a target hidden behind his canopy bars it would make sense that he would make the effort to tilt his head or turn his head or lean his head or swivel his head or close one eye or lean forward a little more or lean backward a little more. The pilot would look around the canopy bars just like they can in most every plane in the sim except the 190 and late 109s.

It is good to see someone else posting on this subject. Those of us who do see this disparity and handicap can have company.

JG7_Rall
04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
All planes excluding those that use the Shift F1 feature to center the gunsight use it to zoom in. This moves the canopy bars around because this represents the pilot "leaning forward" to focus in on the gunsight. Leaning forward means being farther away from the rear of the cockpit, thus the difference in view as well.

But, the German planes which use this view to center the gunsight move their head to one side instead of moving it forward. That's why you see minimal change in the cockpit view-there's no zoom/leaning forward really, its just moving the pilots head off to the side to center the sight.

S!

Hutch

"Son, never ask a man if he is a fighter pilot. If he is, he'll let you know. If he isn't, don't embarrass him."
Badges!? We don't needs no stinkin' badges!

JG52Schatten
04-20-2004, 01:13 AM
I love the view inside & out of the Bf109's cockpit. I hate the Fw190's cockpit though. I can see the guages in it fine, but looking forward and out ahead of me is a major pain. Lots of cockpit dash, frame, etc. to block my view.

I've noticed the differance in head movement that you speak about, but have never had a problem with it. I assign one key to look to the side (off-center) and another key to lean forward (zoom-in). I've been doing that for so long now that it has become second nature.

http://www.myezboard.com/projects/ezboard/ezboard_userimages/membersofthejg52ndbutcherbirds/images/SchattenSig.jpg
JG52 The Butcherbirds (http://www.geocities.com/jg52thebutcherbirds/)