PDA

View Full Version : I've looked all over but still haven't found an answer

FalseEmperor
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok so I bought this game the other day kinda outta boredom. When I installed it and restarted my computer and then tried to play the game I saw the update search thing which patched me to 1.04. So I restarted just incase. My computer exceeds the requirements in every way. When I finally tried to boot the game up again the updater came up, did it's thing, closed and then for like 20 seconds I see a little cd spinning in place of a cursor. After that long read I get an error that says "insert original disc not a backup (0001)" Or something like that. It also displayed an address which I followed. It told my about adjusting some stuff in the properties of MY COMPUTER. I did as it asked and tried again. Same error. So I resorted to repeatedly clicking on the shortcut. Eventually the load went fine and I got to play my new game. As soon as I started really getting into multiplayer it crashes. This error and random crashes to desktop have been occuring for 3 days now and I don't know what to do. I have browsed the tech support forums and tried any fixes that were remotely close to the error I am having and all to no avail. I don't mind resarting the game every once in awhile due to a random crash if it wasn't such a pain to get the game to actually start. I literally sit at my computer clicking and waiting for like 5 minutes at a time until I either lose interest or get a half hour of fun before a crash. The little that I have played of the game I have enjoyed. I know that it has it's problems but it is a fun little distraction. If anyone can give me any ideas as to how to fix the "insert original disc..." error I would be grateful. I would at least like to play the game with it's bugs rather than not at all. Thank you.

FalseEmperor
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok so I bought this game the other day kinda outta boredom. When I installed it and restarted my computer and then tried to play the game I saw the update search thing which patched me to 1.04. So I restarted just incase. My computer exceeds the requirements in every way. When I finally tried to boot the game up again the updater came up, did it's thing, closed and then for like 20 seconds I see a little cd spinning in place of a cursor. After that long read I get an error that says "insert original disc not a backup (0001)" Or something like that. It also displayed an address which I followed. It told my about adjusting some stuff in the properties of MY COMPUTER. I did as it asked and tried again. Same error. So I resorted to repeatedly clicking on the shortcut. Eventually the load went fine and I got to play my new game. As soon as I started really getting into multiplayer it crashes. This error and random crashes to desktop have been occuring for 3 days now and I don't know what to do. I have browsed the tech support forums and tried any fixes that were remotely close to the error I am having and all to no avail. I don't mind resarting the game every once in awhile due to a random crash if it wasn't such a pain to get the game to actually start. I literally sit at my computer clicking and waiting for like 5 minutes at a time until I either lose interest or get a half hour of fun before a crash. The little that I have played of the game I have enjoyed. I know that it has it's problems but it is a fun little distraction. If anyone can give me any ideas as to how to fix the "insert original disc..." error I would be grateful. I would at least like to play the game with it's bugs rather than not at all. Thank you.

RLCSeMPeRFi
03-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I was getting that same error on our server. Update the firmware on the dvd drive and you should be good. Just do a google search for the model number of the drive and you should find the firmware.

I_AM_Shortfuse
03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Why not ask one of the MOD's. Oh I know because they are as useless as the game designers. Your better off using your game disk as a frizbee. You will have more fun.

FalseEmperor
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif I haven't had this game for long but just from reading the forums it sounds like another major disappointment. Mark of Chaos anyone? I love how developers try and hide shoddy gameplay with snazzy graphics. It really does make me quite sad. Anyways thanks for fighting the good fight and having a sense of humor.

FalseEmperor
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
And thank you for the most helpfull of the two replies. Maybe now I can finally get online and join the disgruntled masses. But in all seriousness from what I have played this is a nice distraction until something better comes out. I'm not terribly impressed with the way the PC version has been handled. If anyone has been on the Mark of Chaos forums they have seen this all before. A game developer takes an iconic trademark and abuses it and it's fans for profit and never really delivers anything other than a quick fix for people who actually care about the licensing that they have been given. Oh how I pine for the good ol' days.

HALCON4
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

UBIsoft, smile......your dead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/k4to01/smili.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
Regards

FalseEmperor
03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok so I went onto google and searched for the firmware updates. I have a COMBO 52X32X52X dvd/cd-rom drive. However I couldn't find a site to download the firmware for that model. I found one site that had listings for a bigillion other firmware updates but none for my specific model which I assume is the COMBO 52X32X52X thing. Am I going about this all wrong? is that my model number and if not then how do I find it? I appreciate all of the help and good laughs but I am just so unsure of what to do. I am by no stretch of the imagination a "tech head" so you might have to dumb down your replies for poor ol' me. Thanks again.

T1mberw0lf
03-20-2007, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">other day kinda outta boredom. When I installed it and restarted my computer and then tried to play the game I saw the update search thing which patched me to 1.04. So I restarted just incase. My computer exceeds the requirements in every way. When I finally tried to boot the game up again the updater came up, did it's thing, closed and then for like 20 seconds I see a little cd spinning in place of a cursor. After that long read I get an error that says "insert original disc not a backup (0001)" Or something like that. It also displayed an address which I followed. It told my about adjusting some stuff in the properties of MY COMPUTER. I did as it asked and tried again. Same error. So I resorted to repeatedly clicking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen anyone need to update their firmware on a dvd drive, as they are pretty damn standard nowadays. Especially for just reading the disc. But hey, Semper says he had that error and it helped, so maybe it works. It's quite possible that the 'combo' isn't the brand, but regarding that it reads, writes, and is rewritable.

Maybe Semper will come back and detail the process he went to upgrade his firmware. Other than that, good luck. Once you get past this bug, you could easily encounter another show-stopping bug.