PDA

View Full Version : Sending debris out torpedo tube!

HeibgesU999
08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
from the DiveNewEngland.com Website.

May 4, 1945: Germany has surrendered, Hitler is dead. Admiral Karl Doenitz, successor to Hitler, gave the order "All U-boats cease fire at once. Stop all hostile actions against allied shipping". It has been debated weather or not the U-853 received the order or not.

May 5, 1945: The U-853 attacks and sinks the Collier Black Point. With three hours the U-853 is located by the USS Atherton. After the initial attacks, by the USS Atherton and USS Moberly, of Hedgehogs and depth charges debris were discovered floating on the surface. The debris field consisted of motor oil, clothing, pillows, and the captains hat. However this was only a trick, as the US Navy Task force soon located the U-boat with sonar. The attack had begun at 8:29pm and lasted until 10:45am the next day when the Navy officially declared the U-853 destroyed. The first dive on the U-853 was on the next day in an attempt to recover the Captain's safe where top secret documents where kept. The dive was unsuccessful as the divers could not make there way through the u-boat as lifeless floating bodies blocked the passages. All 55 men on board were lost.

HeibgesU999
08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
from the DiveNewEngland.com Website.

May 4, 1945: Germany has surrendered, Hitler is dead. Admiral Karl Doenitz, successor to Hitler, gave the order "All U-boats cease fire at once. Stop all hostile actions against allied shipping". It has been debated weather or not the U-853 received the order or not.

May 5, 1945: The U-853 attacks and sinks the Collier Black Point. With three hours the U-853 is located by the USS Atherton. After the initial attacks, by the USS Atherton and USS Moberly, of Hedgehogs and depth charges debris were discovered floating on the surface. The debris field consisted of motor oil, clothing, pillows, and the captains hat. However this was only a trick, as the US Navy Task force soon located the U-boat with sonar. The attack had begun at 8:29pm and lasted until 10:45am the next day when the Navy officially declared the U-853 destroyed. The first dive on the U-853 was on the next day in an attempt to recover the Captain's safe where top secret documents where kept. The dive was unsuccessful as the divers could not make there way through the u-boat as lifeless floating bodies blocked the passages. All 55 men on board were lost.

TASKFORCE1x1
08-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Good Idea. I would also like to see bold used as a countermeasure. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Keep on Smiling'

RedTerex
08-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Great story HeibgesU999, sad ending though with the loss of all hands.

Sometimes its hard to imagine a whole sub sinking with ALL the crew onboard...doomed...their fate sealed.

My worst nightmare on a sub would be to be onboard it as it slowly uncontrolably sank in deep deep water, just waiting for the hull to implode, as all the creaking of bending, compressing steel increases...aaaaghh horrific !
I read somewhere that the force of water came into the breached hull with the force of a steam train travelling at 200mph, Smashing guys senseless before they too then crushed to death by the awesome water pressure, well before they had chance to drown. In some ways a merciful fast death.
Morbid I know for that I apologise, but....that is the fate that met so many.

RedTerex

HeibgesU999
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
I think the best part of DB, is when they are sinking after torping the 2 merchants. The first time I saw DB, it was a 2 part broadcast, and I thought it was over as they were sinking and the combat correspondent was laying in his bunk looking at the picture, as the IWO calls out the depth.

And then Part 2 started. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xanthippus
08-27-2004, 05:04 AM
When a U-boat was exposed to outside pressure the sudden difference between internal/external pressure would be so great that the air inside the U-boat would itself combust.

Redwine
08-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Lot of interesting countermeasures was used by U-Boote...........

Could be so good to have some of them modelated.........

As radar decoy they deploy a metalic film sustained by two gas ballons and linked to a floater to decoy enemy radar into a unreal position......

They has the Snorkel covered by a antiradar absorbent coat.........(Stealth snorkel), it coat can reduce in 30 % the radar returning waves.

To decoy active sonar they used a bubble generator, wich can produce a fine bubble wall during along half hour...........

Some time I read about a some kind of torp ro mine wich can deploy oil far away from the sub with some kind of delay but no documentation added about this supposed system..........

Could be interesting to have some of them modelated.........

The Ancient History of the Submarine
"Subgenesis" (http://www.iespana.es/Subgenesis/subgenesis/sg00.htm)

Manual TDC
"HTDC Tutorial" (http://www.iespana.es/rotteufel/htdc_tutorial/a_start.htm)

IXD2
08-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Well maybe not all of them, but, say, a possibility of jettisoning debris to deceive the opponents would be nice, just as use of Metox and Naxos devices ( warning against the enemy radar ).

Jettisoning debris was possible in SH I, so who knows?

S VIIC_41
08-28-2004, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sometimes its hard to imagine a whole sub sinking with ALL the crew onboard...doomed...their fate sealed.

My worst nightmare on a sub would be to be onboard it as it slowly uncontrolably sank in deep deep water, just waiting for the hull to implode, as all the creaking of bending, compressing steel increases...aaaaghh horrific !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that'd be about the worst way to die, like the Kursk a while ago.

Trapped and completely helpless knowing there's no way out alive.

Though the actual death might not be bad if you didn't suffocate... unlike the Kursk crew. They suffocated I think or... something, either way they weren't crushed.

S VIIC_41
08-28-2004, 02:57 PM
But on a strangly lighter note, how about this:

"Jettison the body, chief"

"But sir, nobody's dead, just a few minor bruises that's all"

*gunshot*

"Jettison the body, engineer"

"Yes...sir"

XD

or maybe I'm just sick... but did anoyone see U-571 when they shot the dead body out the tube? that'd be funny, you know... in a game or some other fictional thing...

SailorSteve
08-28-2004, 04:04 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

On the other hand, jettisoning a dead body in a movie was done almost 50 years ago, in Run Silent, Run Deep.

The poster said "Join The Navy, See The World". So I did, and I'm here to tell you, the world is flat and blue.

IXD2
08-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Right, but the problem is there might be no dead body on board. And the debris should be enough.

Back to the issue with Kursk - death ni a sub that implodes seems to me to be not the worst one. Sure, it MUST be a real horror to know you`re doomed, watching as the boat goes deeper and deeper, with no chance to stop her. But then, it`s jsut a moment when the hull implodes. I think there`s something much worse: if the boat falls to the bottom, unable to surface, but not deep enough to implode.
Just like these 23 men on Kursk that survived the explosion and hitting the bottom.

Drebbel
08-29-2004, 04:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IXD2:
Well maybe not all of them, but, say, a possibility of jettisoning debris to deceive the opponents would be nice, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its also a good way of telling the enemny where you are. There are several stories of that :-)

RedTerex
08-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Jettisoning debris is like sticking up a lifebuoy with a big sign on it saying
&gt;WE ARE HERE&lt;
Consquently I would think twice before jettisoning anything out of the tubes.

RedTerex
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/RedTerex/Signature.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/RedTerex/signature2.jpg

AnaK774
08-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Jettisoning debris was used to mock up your death, usually after very close DC salvo, to keep enemy thinking Hey, we got him, lets not waste more ammo

AKA LeOs.K_Anak

hippy-dude
08-29-2004, 09:01 AM
If i was a captin of a DD and seen oil and debris floating to the top I would drop another few charges just to be sure. The tactic done nothing more than reminded the DD you where still there.

U-551 Kapitan
08-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Well, if I was the skipper on a UI-boat, I'd send out the debris, and carry on moving forward, rigged for silent running. That way if they do go over, check it out and DC the place, at least I'd not be right underneath them. And also, I'd drop my depth to the red zone http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. I don't think the dev team should worry about sending bodies out of a torp tube (they should definately think about debris and fuel) but if somone would make a FREE http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif mod that lets you jettison bodies, I'd dl it.

Torpedo incoming off the port bow!
We want a demo!!!

IXD2
08-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, jettisoning debris was intended for use in an extreme situation, when it is obvious that the enemy detected the sub. Actually it makes sense only after a very close salvo, Just shortly after the salvo jettison debris and rig for silent running.

Anyway I consider it as a last chance in a severe situation. Using it too early is somehow closed to a suicide.

IXD2
08-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, jettisoning debris was intended for use in an extreme situation, when it is obvious that the enemy detected the sub. Actually it makes sense only after a very close salvo, Just shortly after the salvo jettison debris and rig for silent running.

Anyway I consider it as a last chance in a severe situation. Using it too early is somehow close to a suicide.