PDA

View Full Version : A crazy encounter....

weequayx
06-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I just begun a new career in 39' on 100% realism, leaving Kiel. My patrol grid was AL-36 ( I chose Kiel because I though the patrol grids would be closer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) I get under way leaving port at ahead slow to conserve diesel. I take a look at my fresh recruits in the crew manager window. I notice my watch men with 300/400 exp. and with watchmenship as his only qual. I get just north of Scapa Flow when I pick up a contact, (a slow moving merchant). I check the weather, :15 knot winds with heavy percipitation, (darn, no deck gun this time). I plot a course ahead of him and then turn and follow a straight couse at him until my watch officer chimes in "ship spotted at 000 degrees", (I think ****, I am straight on this one) so taking my time I go to the periscope button, (which periscope is already raised) and i'm like W-T-F... I see the huge bow of a c2 in the periscope right on, less than 10m away. BANG it impacts me and knocks me off to one side and scrapes a-long side my hull.(keep in mind i was then a flank speed) I quickly surface to flick off the mother#@!%*! and access damage. my hull integrity was 48% with heavy flooding I work and work in the pitching seas but to no avail as I stand on the conning tower watching the fat *** slowly dissapear into the fog of the storm in the huge waves and driving rain.

Note that I had just reinstalled the game and I think this was either v1.0 or v1.2 or posibbly 3, (I had the patch on a cd.) I have updated to 1.4b now. but anyways I have never seen something like this,i mean was it because the watchmen was green or a glitch or the weather impaired his vision or what? lol it was kinda funny.

weequayx
06-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I just begun a new career in 39' on 100% realism, leaving Kiel. My patrol grid was AL-36 ( I chose Kiel because I though the patrol grids would be closer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) I get under way leaving port at ahead slow to conserve diesel. I take a look at my fresh recruits in the crew manager window. I notice my watch men with 300/400 exp. and with watchmenship as his only qual. I get just north of Scapa Flow when I pick up a contact, (a slow moving merchant). I check the weather, :15 knot winds with heavy percipitation, (darn, no deck gun this time). I plot a course ahead of him and then turn and follow a straight couse at him until my watch officer chimes in "ship spotted at 000 degrees", (I think ****, I am straight on this one) so taking my time I go to the periscope button, (which periscope is already raised) and i'm like W-T-F... I see the huge bow of a c2 in the periscope right on, less than 10m away. BANG it impacts me and knocks me off to one side and scrapes a-long side my hull.(keep in mind i was then a flank speed) I quickly surface to flick off the mother#@!%*! and access damage. my hull integrity was 48% with heavy flooding I work and work in the pitching seas but to no avail as I stand on the conning tower watching the fat *** slowly dissapear into the fog of the storm in the huge waves and driving rain.

Note that I had just reinstalled the game and I think this was either v1.0 or v1.2 or posibbly 3, (I had the patch on a cd.) I have updated to 1.4b now. but anyways I have never seen something like this,i mean was it because the watchmen was green or a glitch or the weather impaired his vision or what? lol it was kinda funny.

Hairback357
06-30-2005, 11:22 PM
That happens to me a lot in bad weather. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Chrystine
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Well€¦ Now €" I Would laugh at that too€¦ but €¦ Gosh. That shyte ain€t so funny€¦ I€d be beyond furious and WOULD cashier that Lt. first thing returning to base.

You didn€t mention any fog tho€ €¦ It would be understandable in Heavy Fog €" where visibility seems about 350 meters give or take one or two €" and you moving at Flank Speed at a C2 in heavy seas moving €" what? 4-6 kts. or so? And you €œtook your time€ taking a look to verify the sighting of your Watch.

If there was no fog, light fog, or even moderate fog €" I€d want to have my watchman shot on the docks as soon as we returned, and would just have to content myself with dismissing him.
But valuable lesson learned there, huh?
Ships DO change course sometimes€¦ I just learned that the hard way myself in my most Un-pleasant experience thus far only a week ago.
I picked up a contact €" weather was pure **** €" heavy everything€¦ I admit I did €œcheat€ on that one €" I was tired and Patrol was done, I was just trying to get back home. So I had a look at that contact by Ship Cam and noticed it was a Greek Small Merchant. Now €" I Refuse to engage any Greek ship €" I just won€t do it. So €" of course €" I set my course accordingly €" to pass off his port side at about an anticipated 8 to 10 kms. or so €" so in the Event I picked up any other contact in the meantime €" I could keep him in view, knowing it was a non-target entity out there.
I€m cruising along just fine in this crappy weather for about 90 mins or so, then what? I hear my watch call out €" Ship Spotted! He calls out the bearing, repeats: €œShip Spotted!€ €" I ran up to the bridge to have a look immediately, unsure what I€d see really, but there hadn€t been any other contact so €" was pretty sure it must Somehow be that Greek vessel.
Sure enough there he was slipping into view from a Very dense fog, pouring rain, winds 15 mps, etc €¦
I just smiled seeing him pass by, admiring the Greek flag I love so much€¦
JUST as I was raising my arm to give a friendly wave €" reality hit. He opened up with his stern gun. Range: 260 meters. Now we€re passing each other showing each other our broadsides Port on Port. Wham! First round hit the tower, knocked out the radio, sonar and radar and of course, there was damage to the bridge.
Splash! Second round hit the water just short of the .88 on deck. NOW my fuzzy-muddled stupid-non-thinking-head starts to come around and I shout the order to crash dive. No sooner did I give that shout than €" Wham! Third round hit the hull and cracked it pretty good (down to 92% now).
Ok €" now we€re slipping under slowly and another round is heard hitting water outside€¦ and all of a sudden I€m just Furious!
Don€t know if I was madder at myself for that stupidity €" or at them for tearing up my boat.
But €" in a REALLY difficult decision €" hardest I€ve made to date €" I decided, for my crew€s sake €" I better return the courtesy €" and resolved to give him three shots in fair return €" come what may €" I€d hit him twice WHILE sinking if the first hit€¦ or leave him alone if all three missed €" or whatever happened €" but I was going to give him three back.
I set up my torps while the U-49 was brought to P-depth and turned into his wake and set ahead flank.
My first shot missed.
My second shot missed.
My third shot caught him just under the keel a little ahead of the rudder €" set 1 meter below keel, magnetic impact €" and he sank in about 4 minutes out there in that nasty, horrid weather. And all I can think since then, is that broke my heart and he just fired on us out of sheer terror. I mean - just imagine what they must€ve thought seeing a VIIC slipping up to them from that heavy fog€¦

Sorry so long-winded in my telling here €" but my point is €" I NEVER expected to SEE that ship and it ought Never have been €˜there;€ but at Some Point €" he had changed his course and I just wasn€t aware since we were running on the surface (and I do NOT use Radar €" ever).

Live & learn, huh? & all-too-often, the hard way it seems€¦

I Did enjoy your account of that €˜crazy encounter€ tho€ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing it€¦
I do think that some watchmen €" just suck at that job. I could be wrong, but having gone through several of them now €" I tend to €˜feel€ that way. Some are just blind as bats & I wonder if they could see wet in the middle of the Atlantic.
Sometimes, fog is a serious problem €" especially when mixed with a heavy rain.
Sometimes €" I think even the best watchman may just be polishing his buttons instead of using his binocs€¦ I don€t know, but I€ve seen mine miss some things that were plain as day. I finally got tired of dismissing them. Some of it I€m sure owes to being inexperienced and they improve Somewhat over time. Worst of all for me, is I€ve never had a Watch that didn€t burn-out pretty quickly €" must be hard duty up there or something. Doesn€t Look hard €" but what do I know? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Now I keep double watch teams who rotate shifts constantly. What a PITA €" but it helps. Fresh watch is always better than an exhausted one too€¦

Best regards,
~ C.

weequayx
07-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Thx for responding , enjoyed your post aswell.

Skarphol
07-01-2005, 01:35 AM
I was cruising down the middle of the channel west of Loch Ewe when I got a radiomessage that a ship was moving slowly towards me head on from the south. I altered my course to get as close to him as possible, since the heavy rain made it difficult to see more than 400m.
After a while my watchcrew (and they where 5 healthy young men) shouted:"We have been spotted, sir!" I rushed to the bridge, and looked around. There, straight behind the boat, dissapearing into the heavy rain was the small merchant. It was visible for a total of 800 meters! With us going 9 knots and him doing 6 knots, thats 15 knots all together. That should indicate that he would be visible for allmost 2 minutes. But my crew just stood there thinkin "Maybe we should tell the Kaleun about this ship that we are allmost colliding with?" "No, he has been so grumpy latly, don't disturb him unless they spot us"...

I don't know. I think someone have to leave his post as we get back to Wilhelmshafen...

Skarphol

ndladis
07-01-2005, 04:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chrystine:
Well€¦ Now €" I Would laugh at that too€¦ but €¦ Gosh. That shyte ain€t so funny€¦ I€d be beyond furious and WOULD cashier that Lt. first thing returning to base.

You didn€t mention any fog tho€ €¦ It would be understandable in Heavy Fog €" where visibility seems about 350 meters give or take one or two €" and you moving at Flank Speed at a C2 in heavy seas moving €" what? 4-6 kts. or so? And you €œtook your time€ taking a look to verify the sighting of your Watch.

If there was no fog, light fog, or even moderate fog €" I€d want to have my watchman shot on the docks as soon as we returned, and would just have to content myself with dismissing him.
But valuable lesson learned there, huh?
Ships DO change course sometimes€¦ I just learned that the hard way myself in my most Un-pleasant experience thus far only a week ago.
I picked up a contact €" weather was pure **** €" heavy everything€¦ I admit I did €œcheat€ on that one €" I was tired and Patrol was done, I was just trying to get back home. So I had a look at that contact by Ship Cam and noticed it was a Greek Small Merchant. Now €" I Refuse to engage any Greek ship €" I just won€t do it. So €" of course €" I set my course accordingly €" to pass off his port side at about an anticipated 8 to 10 kms. or so €" so in the Event I picked up any other contact in the meantime €" I could keep him in view, knowing it was a non-target entity out there.
I€m cruising along just fine in this crappy weather for about 90 mins or so, then what? I hear my watch call out €" Ship Spotted! He calls out the bearing, repeats: €œShip Spotted!€ €" I ran up to the bridge to have a look immediately, unsure what I€d see really, but there hadn€t been any other contact so €" was pretty sure it must Somehow be that Greek vessel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the way, I noticed that the Game introduces Greece wrong time in war with Germany.
As far as i know Germany invaded Greece on 6th of April 1941. and previously they were long discussions between the two regimes, with Greece trying to avoid a war with Germany as they already had an open front with Italy since 28th October 1940.
On game, I was patrolling two days ago near Spain when my sonar man spotted a small merchant.
After chasing it, I discovered with disappointment, that it was a Greek Merchant, I thought that it was considered as a neutral as the date was 2 November 1940. But with surprise, it showed as enemy!
The only reason I see for this is the fact that many Greek Shipowners had their vessel"s chartered to the British War Ministry since the beginning of the war but that does not exclude the many individual shipowners who were neutral.