PDA

View Full Version : Flat screen monitor issue

general_kalle
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
so i just got a Samsung Flatscreen in a bargain off a freind and set it up today instead of my old Phillips LightFrame 2 CRT screen...unfortunatly i have an issue with this new one. its a Samsung SyncMaster 931c

imidatly after plugging it in i noticed a change in the colours..if you look at it its alright but its definately different from what was on my old one... but thats ok.

but on a short flight today i noticed that when i was looking at clouds in IL2 through the Propeller it would get theese jagged gray lines in the clouds, they would just kind of flash, then disapear to appear somewhere else

and also when looking at the sun i get rainbow clours around it. but only just the secend it comes into view, like when the camara is moving i get them, however if im looking still at the sun they dissapear.

anybody know what causes this?

general_kalle
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
so i just got a Samsung Flatscreen in a bargain off a freind and set it up today instead of my old Phillips LightFrame 2 CRT screen...unfortunatly i have an issue with this new one. its a Samsung SyncMaster 931c

imidatly after plugging it in i noticed a change in the colours..if you look at it its alright but its definately different from what was on my old one... but thats ok.

but on a short flight today i noticed that when i was looking at clouds in IL2 through the Propeller it would get theese jagged gray lines in the clouds, they would just kind of flash, then disapear to appear somewhere else

and also when looking at the sun i get rainbow clours around it. but only just the secend it comes into view, like when the camara is moving i get them, however if im looking still at the sun they dissapear.

anybody know what causes this?

noobisoft
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
This is just a guess, but it sounds like a screen refresh rate issue. What refresh rate are you using and what rate does the monitor call for?

general_kalle
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
if you are talking about hertz its 75. screen only takes 60 and 75 and i have it at 75..but i think i have misunderstood you..only just got it so i dont know much about it.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
It could be tearing that you're seeing, try turning on vsync. Also most LCDs will take a 75hz signal but they have to process them, try 60hz.

Capt.LoneRanger
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
The problem with the cloud is not related to your monitor, but to the rainbow-stuff: Get used to it. You can check wether you accidently ran on 16bit, but if you are used to a quality monitor (even an old one), you should know a few things about TFTs:

In the books all monitors can display 16.7 million colors (24bit, 8bit per color). The bad thing is though, that this refers to the maximum number displayed. Especially the 931c however, uses only a 6bit panel, which limits the number of discrete colors to 262,000 just like it is quite common for non-professional hardware. The rest of the colors to meet the "up to 16.5 million colors" from the book is reached by interpolation.
Additionally the 931c uses a dynamic contrast ratio, which can cause additional problems.

To get the most out of your new monitor, I recommend to use at least a DVI-cable, if the monitor supports it. That will drastically increase image-quality over the standard VGA-cable.

general_kalle
09-02-2008, 03:32 PM
thank you... i akually thought TFT's were on level with CRT's now days.

think im gonna have a little talk if i can reverse the deal...otherwise it doesnt matter as it was really really cheap.