PDA

View Full Version : PF Dead? Old Engine? Bunk!

Mescof1
02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I've never in my life seen so many childish attitudes as what's been on these forums the last few weeks! If I were Oleg and the development team I'd just say "shuv it" and be done with you.

This mentality that this "engine is old" and the sim is dead is rediculous. It's a fatally flawed logic.

Tell us Chess Players the engine is old and dead; lol, tell us Poker Players the engine is dead; lol, tell us Musicians that use Hammond B-3's that haven't been made in years that the engine is dead; lol, tell us Guitar players that play the vintage Martin that the engine is dead.

I have a 1979 Ford pickup. That's 26 years old for those of you who can't count. I got a 460 cubic inch engine in that baby. You think the engine is old and dead? Ha! Let's race; $1000.00 up front. You get the point?

I myself sold one of my Hammond B-3's to pay for a computer to run Forgotton Battles. And, the support the sim has received from the developers has been great. I don't plan to upgrade for many years.

I'll stick with what I've got which means I won't be able to run Battle of Britain, but so what. There's enough in this sim that it would take years to master. And I'll be over here on the Eastern Front even if I fly alone and make my own missions.

And another thing while I'm "preaching." I get tired of seeing the "run down" of CFS1 on these forums. CFS1 was great in it's time.

Remember it came out in 1998 and it's still got a loyal following. I know it has flaws and can't hold a candle to this sim, but in it's time it was hot.

I had the honor to fly with RAF_Yank (Captain Dan Archer) over there. He was a P-47 pilot in WW2 and is in his 80's and very hard of hearing. There were five swastikas painted on the side of his plane at the close of the war. You kids know what that means???

These kids will run out and upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade, and still won't be satisfied. I venture to say 2 or 3 years from now when they've all upgraded and BOB is out they'll still be *****ing. I want this; I want that; Whaaa; whaaa. Man, give me a break!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against upgrading and I know that computer technology changes daily and that' great. But just because something is old doesn't mean it has lost it's vitallity. I'm 56 and i'll put my chess playing, keyboard playing, etc, up against anyone.

I'll probably get "flamed" or whatever you all call it but I don't give a dam. I'm pissed at all the disrespect shown to these people.

For God's sake man.........GROW UP

Mescoff

Mescof1
02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I've never in my life seen so many childish attitudes as what's been on these forums the last few weeks! If I were Oleg and the development team I'd just say "shuv it" and be done with you.

This mentality that this "engine is old" and the sim is dead is rediculous. It's a fatally flawed logic.

Tell us Chess Players the engine is old and dead; lol, tell us Poker Players the engine is dead; lol, tell us Musicians that use Hammond B-3's that haven't been made in years that the engine is dead; lol, tell us Guitar players that play the vintage Martin that the engine is dead.

I have a 1979 Ford pickup. That's 26 years old for those of you who can't count. I got a 460 cubic inch engine in that baby. You think the engine is old and dead? Ha! Let's race; $1000.00 up front. You get the point?

I myself sold one of my Hammond B-3's to pay for a computer to run Forgotton Battles. And, the support the sim has received from the developers has been great. I don't plan to upgrade for many years.

I'll stick with what I've got which means I won't be able to run Battle of Britain, but so what. There's enough in this sim that it would take years to master. And I'll be over here on the Eastern Front even if I fly alone and make my own missions.

And another thing while I'm "preaching." I get tired of seeing the "run down" of CFS1 on these forums. CFS1 was great in it's time.

Remember it came out in 1998 and it's still got a loyal following. I know it has flaws and can't hold a candle to this sim, but in it's time it was hot.

I had the honor to fly with RAF_Yank (Captain Dan Archer) over there. He was a P-47 pilot in WW2 and is in his 80's and very hard of hearing. There were five swastikas painted on the side of his plane at the close of the war. You kids know what that means???

These kids will run out and upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade, and still won't be satisfied. I venture to say 2 or 3 years from now when they've all upgraded and BOB is out they'll still be *****ing. I want this; I want that; Whaaa; whaaa. Man, give me a break!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against upgrading and I know that computer technology changes daily and that' great. But just because something is old doesn't mean it has lost it's vitallity. I'm 56 and i'll put my chess playing, keyboard playing, etc, up against anyone.

I'll probably get "flamed" or whatever you all call it but I don't give a dam. I'm pissed at all the disrespect shown to these people.

Mescoff

3.JG51_BigBear
02-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Even on their worste days, these are still one of the tamest and most well behaved video game forums I have ever seen.

EnGaurde
02-10-2005, 06:27 PM
id like to take a Smoking Car approach to whiners.

put em all together and let them poison each other.

the rest of us will enjoy what we have.

Amen.

Bearcat99
02-10-2005, 06:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mescof1:
I've never in my life seen so many childish attitudes as what's been on these forums the last few weeks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO... Stick around till the patch gets here..... You will really see some singing sphincters then.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

If some of these guys spent more time flying and less time spamming and looking for flaws they would probably enjoy the sim more.....

Some guys just like hambureger.. and no matter how much steak you put in front of thier faces.. they will always cry because it isnt on a bun.....

sapre
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mescof1:

Mescoff <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you satisfied with Pacific Air Combat Simulator without any proper warships?
KGV in Pearl Harbor?
KGV appearing as Japanese and US Battleship?
IJN without any Cruiser or Battleship?
RN without any Cruiser or Destroyer?
I don't like a screaming child, but this matter is serious.

JFC_danger
02-10-2005, 08:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I've never in my life seen so many childish attitudes as what's been on these forums the last few weeks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO... Stick around till the patch gets here..... You will really see some singing sphincters then.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

If some of these guys spent more time flying and less time spamming and looking for flaws they would probably enjoy the sim more.....

Some guys just like hambureger.. and no matter how much steak you put in front of thier faces.. they will always cry because it isnt on a bun..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
not lmao, i paid good money for this incomplete sim and i spend over 6 hrs a day flying in it, just want what i paid for..... twice, yes, like a fool, i bought two

Cajun76
02-10-2005, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
So are you satisfied with Pacific Air Combat Simulator without any proper warships?
KGV in Pearl Harbor?
I don't like a screaming child, but this matter is serious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I've forgotton all about world hunger and the tsunami over this serious matter. I'm with you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

I was thinking of getting the International Red Cross involved. Large workforce of voluteers tired of helping humanity. Let's get them working on something more useful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Yvader
02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Stop that "no ships-thing" this posting is about the "old-engine" not about a perfect sim as i understand it. That are really good points over there, and i think you should think twice before you are posting in this thread (no offense meaned). The ships may be a valid point for parts of the gameplay, but they have nothing to do with this post.

Beside of that i think, the best way today for making a good game is to make it a long term game with a good core what is flexible enough to go with the time and to grow with it.

There where some games like that, and CFS1, also meanwhile outdated, was one of them, also CFS2. IL2/Fb the same thing. That all are games who are flexible enough to stand the test of (more) time than most of the Standardgames. IL2/FB/PF Developers are still active, so this game is far from dead. And after all support is gone this game will still be playable for many.
Maybe there will be another great game what will bind the masses, but that is not today.

DarthBane_
02-11-2005, 02:52 AM
Poster of this thread should grow up. Get a life. This series is dying away from long time ago. Get a new religion, try normal church.

madsarmy
02-11-2005, 03:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JFC_danger:
not lmao, i paid good money for this incomplete sim and i spend over 6 hrs a day flying in it, just want what i paid for..... twice, yes, like a fool, i bought two <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You feel ripped off but you still spend 6 hours a day flying it. Life must be hell for you.

nakamura_kenji
02-11-2005, 03:57 AM
I very happy pf currently but wish they finish it before start on bob but that just me being selfish as no interest all in it v_v i probably alone in this it seem, be honest i not see all that much wrong current engine but again just me i guess. I just look hope for a few more patch hopefully

stansdds
02-11-2005, 04:09 AM
The long and short of it is that computer simulation engines do become dated as the hardware continues to advance. If the best we had to play on were Pentium III - 1GHz machines and 32 MB video cards, then the IL2 engine would still be at the very top of the heap. But hardware has advanced and IL2 has been pushed from single engine planes in one theater to multi-engine planes from three theaters. It is absolutely incredible that this is even possible, but it is showing its age and limitations. Oleg is working on a new sim that is likely to be so far beyond what we have now.

IL2 and Pacific Fighters may eventually go away. The CFS series may eventually go away. EAW may eventually go away, but it will still be a long time before any of these sims disappear even though more advanced sims hit the market. Time marches on, computers advance in features, and sims get better. It is part of life.

As for that Ford 460 engine, I hear ya on that one! I used to have a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and I flirted with the idea of dropping a 429 or a 460 into it. I ended up sticking with the 400 since that is what mine came with and it was easier for me to just build a fresh, well hot rodded 400 than to switch to a different block.

Bearcat99
02-11-2005, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JFC_danger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Some guys just like hambureger.. and no matter how much steak you put in front of thier faces.. they will always cry because it isnt on a bun..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
not lmao, i paid good money for this incomplete sim and i spend over 6 hrs a day flying in it, just want what i paid for..... twice, yes, like a fool, i bought two <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you should have taken them both back within the allotted return time and gotten your money back if you feel that strongly...... IMO even though PF is not a total Pacific sim.. it is indeed a Pacific theater sim. You have most of the major players in terms of AC and ships..... you have the range.. you have the scenery... you have decent DMs,FMs and grphics.... challenging AI and a bit more coming.... What and when I cant say.... but so many of you people here act like someone broke into your house and stole your identity.. like its a major disaster... or worse like you were promised the moon and you got Newark... How many other products have you bought that fell totally flat after 6 moths? As "dissatisfied" as you are you still use the thing @ 6 hours a day...... hmmmmmmm even over a period of say 30 days that translates roughly into 4 bucks a day...... for your $39.... give me a break. You have spent more than you spent on this sim to see one bad movie if you go on a date...... and I am sure you have seen more than one bad movie in your day.... put this in perspective and enjoy yourselves. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

For what its worth Mescof.... my 78 Jazz Bass isnt doing too bad either..... I paid $427 for it when I got out of the navy it is now worth over a grand.... and has a sweet tone..... and it isnt even one of the real vintage ones.... I think the fact of the matter is (partially at least) that guys like us can remember when all this stuff was an undefined fantasy in our heads and thats one reason why we arent buggin out..... some of these kids from the Nintendo generation..... (and Im not even talking Colecovision gen..... ) are so used to this instant fix that they cant grasp using what you have and maxxing it out. To me to have any serious negative feelings for the sim because a few planes and ships arent there .. or not too many more will be addid..... is just ignoring what is there just for the sake of being heard......

AWL_Spinner
02-11-2005, 04:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"i paid good money for this incomplete sim and i spend over 6 hrs a day flying in it" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That's a cracking quote. If I was Ivan I'd have that pinned up on my wall - sums this place up!

I'm with Bearcat, not many areas of the entertainment industry you can get that sort of return. If you can't take it back to the store and never want to play it again, flog it on Ebay - you'll get at least some of your money back.

Sounds like you're still getting a lot out of it however...

madsarmy
02-11-2005, 05:45 AM
It's such a classic I've had to put it in my sighttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif One of the best I'd say.

Freycinet
02-11-2005, 06:26 AM
I wonder how many of those who complain about the engine being old actually have the hardware to run this sim in its full glory, perfect water, 1600x1200, smoke and flak and explosions, 50 fps?

- Maybe 3% of the whiners?

I'd say this game will still tax high-end machines for the next couple of years... basically until BoB comes out!

So much for an "outdated engine"...

- And yeah, that quote is hilarious! - I'd bet when he doesn't spend 6 hours a day playing this severe disappointment of a game, he is humping his mustachioed overweight girlfriend. Some guys just don't have ambitions in life!

(Sorry, that was a bit disagreable...)

Equilizer
02-11-2005, 06:58 AM
It is an outdated engine, just because you can't run it full tilt doesn't mean it's not old. The eye candy is just one part of the game's engine.

The flight model aspect is the most obvious example of it being old. No ability to have neutral torque on jets or the P38s, simplified stall/spin behavior, lack of weight shift as fuel drains from particular tanks or ammo is expended from a gun bank.

Then the fact that at 27,000ft the sky is a deep blue as if you were in the stratosphere.

It still has a lot of playability, but it is time for the team to move on and begin creating an engine that has a more detailed flight model.

Feathered_IV
02-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Well put Freycinet (except for that last bit).

FB/PF can hardly be considered obsolete if there isn't something better to replace it. It is the best that humans have been able to come up with so far. There is no better product on the market right now. And there will not be one for a long time yet. We just need to learn to F***ing well enjoy what we have. Looking back on the history of flight simming, we have never had it this good.

sapre
02-11-2005, 07:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cajun76:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
KGV in Pearl Harbor?
I don't like a screaming child, but this matter is serious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I've forgotton all about world hunger and the tsunami over this serious matter. I'm with you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

I was thinking of getting the International Red Cross involved. Large workforce of voluteers tired of helping humanity. Let's get them working on something more useful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

sapre
02-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Then you should have taken them both back within the allotted return time and gotten your money back if you feel that strongly...... IMO even though PF is not a _total_ Pacific sim.. it is indeed a Pacific theater sim. You have most of the major players in terms of AC and ships..... you have the range.. you have the scenery... you have decent DMs,FMs and grphics.... challenging AI and a bit more coming.... What and when I cant say....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have to disagree with you there.
I only see few of the major players(torp bombers,missing dive bombers, missing Japanese fighters) patheticly few ships, theres not enough maps and AI is stupid as a monkey.

Zneg1
02-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Hmm did anybody put a gun to anybody's head to BUY PF? Last time I looked this was all a VOLUNTARY effort, this goes the same for INSTALLING the game aswell as PLAYING the game. 1C: MAddox said on the readme yes they did not have enough strorage space on the CD and that it will be released later on BUT they never promised specific planeset and other NEW stuff that people are requesting.

How does the saying go again?

"IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHAT'S SHOWING CHANGE THE CHANNEL."

Or in this case, if you do not like PF, stop playing it and do us all the favor of having some peace and quiet. Those who are patient will be rewarded. Since when does speding $40 entitles anybody to demand anything NOT promised?

FoolTrottel
02-11-2005, 08:51 AM

not lmao, i paid good money for this incomplete sim and i spend over 6 hrs a day flying in it, just want what i paid for..... twice, yes, <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">like a fool</span>, i bought two <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, truly, I only bought PF once.....
Though, I did buy Il2 The Original and FB twice.

Still, 6 hrs a day flying in it... man, that sounds like cheap fun... just sit back and caculate what all this fun has cost you, per playing hour.... and while playing... the price per hour even keeps dropping....

Bearcat99
02-11-2005, 04:09 PM

Then you should have taken them both back within the allotted return time and gotten your money back if you feel that strongly...... IMO even though PF is not a _total_ Pacific sim.. it is indeed a Pacific theater sim. You have most of the major players in terms of AC and ships..... you have the range.. you have the scenery... you have decent DMs,FMs and grphics.... challenging AI and a bit more coming.... What and when I cant say....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have to disagree with you there.
I only see few of the major players(torp bombers,missing dive bombers, missing Japanese fighters) patheticly few ships, theres not enough maps and AI is stupid as a monkey. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever man....... Im enjoying it every chance I get....... I dont have the time to complain.Im too busy having fun..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ku101-Von-B
02-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Come on guys, get a grip!

This sim is far from dead, there is simply nothing else around at the moment to match it. ok the game engine is a couple of years old, but so is my car and i can still keep up with traffic.

you only have to look at how many ppl are flying on ubi or hypperlobby to see this.

Well said mescof1!

Obi_Kwiet
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
The IL2 engine is about 3 or 4 years old isn't it? That's pretty old for a game engine. It's aged remarkably well, and it still looks good, but it's still old. Why do you think they're making BoB? What's the big deal here?

Badsight.
02-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Whatever man....... Im enjoying it every chance I get....... I dont have the time to complain.Im too busy having fun..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>wether you find PF fun or not isnt the point that Sapre is making

jarink
02-11-2005, 10:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
The IL2 engine is about 3 or 4 years old isn't it? That's pretty old for a game engine. It's aged remarkably well, and it still looks good, but it's still old. Why do you think they're making BoB? What's the big deal here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 or 4 years is a lifetime for software. I think it's a testament to the engine that it has been pushed to the level it's at in PF.

Should we be complaining to Microsoft that Windows XP has not changed much the past couple of years? Should we complain that they have already shifted development focus to the next version of Windows? (If Longhorn had stayed on schedule, it would have been released this year.) Put this in perspective, people.

dasstuka
02-12-2005, 01:22 AM
while the whiners are in here complaining i can slip up behinde them and flame there **** !!!

i think the designers did a great job and untill another update or patch comes up i will contune flaming whiner **** :-)

whiners beware das a stuka on your back side :-)

HotelBushranger
02-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Come on guys.

I'm not even old enough to get a pilots licence, and this game is a bloody blessing. Recreating the most valiant aerial fighting in WW2 for me is a dream come true. Flying under a Squadrons colours, after reading of their exploits, is truly wonderful. I can't thank Oleg enough for giving me the opportunity to fly in a Second World War era aircraft. All the Air Forces in the world are now equipped with super-sonic jets, and for me thats just cr@p. Being able to fly a fighter aircraft that goes under the speed of sound is awesome.

As for the game engine....set up a FMB mission. Have the map PNG, set up a flight of enemy bombers, and you intercepting. Set the time to 6pm, with hazy weather and clouds 1500m. Fly a P-40E using 75 Squadron RAAF skins, and then tell me what you think of the game engine. If you can't handle it recreating almost perfectly what it's like in real life, then go and play a FPS or something.

Learn to appreciate what you already have, before expecting more

HvyPetals
02-12-2005, 01:54 AM
PF is as good as it gets. One or two of you guys are just being unreasonably stubborn in your wants and come off like spoiled children. you dont realize how good you have it.

if you want ships so bad you try and make a game yourself. oleg and his team have done the world a service. No game ever has put out so many patches to respond to user wants and has made the effort to cater to the average user as these guys.

battleships? its a flights sim - if you want ships go play something else.

yeh you spent your money but did anybody twist your arm to buy this? nope. your the only person you have to blame for buying this.

i want - i want - i want - i want. WAH!

as lao tzu said - reduce selfishness - have few desires - embrace simplicity

carguy_
02-12-2005, 04:22 AM
Very good point Bearcat.Most of us who played 80s games or Boulder Dash like me fully appreciate what we have now.

NorrisMcWhirter
02-12-2005, 04:43 AM

Not that I go into McDonalds as I boycotted them yonks ago but just imagine going into McDonalds and purchasing a Big Mac, after looking at the picture and expecting to get what you saw, only to find out that the 'bun wouldn't fit in the box but you'll get one later...sometime or other'

It'd be "hilarious", wouldn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Norris

ljazz
02-12-2005, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Equilizer:
Then the fact that at 27,000ft the sky is a deep blue as if you were in the stratosphere.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's funny you mention that. I just flew back home two days ago from a business trip (boy my arms are tired). I guess we were over Ohio.... and the pilot anounced we were at 28,000 ft. The first thing I did was look out the window and look down..... it looked like winter in and around Bastogne!..... then I looked up. You know what I saw?..... "the sky is a deep blue as if you were in the stratosphere."

This used to be one of my complaints in the game. Not anymore.

~S~
ljazz