PDA

View Full Version : Planes flying too slow ...

DROBNJAK1960
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
When I am flying Me-Bf109 I can not catch up with P-51 and Spitfire. When I am playing P-51 and Spitfire I can not catch up with Bf-109. I know from Wikipedia that all these planes flew at similar speeds, so they should be able to catch each other. What am I doing wrong?

2nd question would be, sometimes I fly against AI and they do not want to engage me. They just fly past me and then off they go. How can I force them to engage?

DROBNJAK1960
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
When I am flying Me-Bf109 I can not catch up with P-51 and Spitfire. When I am playing P-51 and Spitfire I can not catch up with Bf-109. I know from Wikipedia that all these planes flew at similar speeds, so they should be able to catch each other. What am I doing wrong?

2nd question would be, sometimes I fly against AI and they do not want to engage me. They just fly past me and then off they go. How can I force them to engage?

M_Gunz
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
You going too slow could be for many reasons. Even if your piloting is perfect just too many hard turns or other high G maneuvers is enough to keep you slow.

If you make an ntrk then people can give specific pointers as they are able.

Otherwise check for slip and keep your plane trimmed. Keep the nose down even to point where at low speeds you lose some height to pick the speed up. Avoid hard turns without good reason. Nose high turns (nose high along the path of flight) are maybe the worst, if you need to keep the nose up to fly then you shouldn't be turning or at least not without losing height -- if you are close to the ground then you've porked yourself and should ask yourself how you got there and how to avoid that. Also avoid pulling diagonal stick as you make more drag that way. And remember that 'avoid' does not mean 'never'.

Ba5tard5word
10-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Depends on the 109, some of them are pretty slow. P-51's should beat most of them pretty easily in speed, with Spitfires it depends.

Get Hardball's Aircraft Viewer version 4.09 and you can compare plane top speeds. Il-2 compare does a better job at comparing top speeds at all altitudes but it doesn't give you precise numbers like Hardball's does.

When flying against the AI it is ESSENTIAL to have matchups where the AI has about the same or less top speed than you do. Unlike you the AI can always fly at its top speed because it doesn't have to deal with engine overheating, prop pitch, etc, and doesn't seem to be affected by blackouts or turbulence or other factors. If the AI is in a plane that has even a small speed advantage over you, it will just fly away from you all the time and you'll never be able to catch up with them.

Maybe go with the Bf-109 G6/AS which I think has a top speed of 580kph at sea level which is pretty good, or another 109 model that can do over 540. Try flying against a Spitfire Mk. VIII which has a top speed of around 535kph, and you should be able to catch up with them.

As for AI planes not engaging you, I don't know, maybe you set them to allies or didn't give them any ammo? What version of the game are you playing? The AI in 1946 is better than in previous versions.

Ba5tard5word
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Try these matchups:

Bf-109G6/AS (top speed 581kph at sea level)
vs.
Spitfire VIII (top speed 538)

----

Bf-109 K-4 C3 (589kph at sea level)
vs.
P-51 D-5 (592 at sea level)

----

Bf-109 E4 (473)
vs.
Spitfire Mk. Vb (459)

saipan1972
10-06-2010, 08:11 PM
AI has perfect pitch and no black outs. also u carrying any ordinance?

VW-IceFire
10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Could be something as simple as making the mistake of flying a lead pursuit rather than a lag pursuit in a manuever while chasing an enemy and bleeding off more speed while you maneuver than while he is maneuvering. I was doing that for a long time until I caught on...

Maybe that will help?

Xiolablu3
10-09-2010, 01:13 AM
You need to think about how energy affects aircraft speed. Use your momentem when diving to pick up speed.

Try and think in the vertical rather than the horizontal. Use slight dives to pick up speed.

I have never had any trouble keeping up with the AI, so its not the sim thats wrong.

However something odd seems to be happening in your game if the enemy dont engage? In my game the enemy always attack.

ARe you playing a campagin mission or the quick mission builder? Which version of the game? As much info as possible will help us ID the problem.

M_Gunz
10-09-2010, 06:06 AM
You don't need to lose much height to get good acceleration benefit from low speed. Most of what keeps the acceleration down is the high lift-induced drag that level low speed flight (low speed for the plane, example FW 190 has a faster 'low speed' than BF 109) requires. The nose is 'high', the wings tilted likewise, a lot of power going into pushing through the air instead of increasing speed -- get the nose just a few degrees down and lose 10m every second or so, more like slowly sinking than diving, and acceleration of speed will result. You can be 200m altitude and pick up speed before losing half that. It's just a matter of dropping the nose slightly by _trimming_ it down a small amount, not actual stick forward 10+ degree dive. Best part is that as/when you gain speed your flight will level out and want to start climbing which you keep trimming nose down to counter.

All you're doing is getting past the worst drag of low speed flight and into the better operating speed of the plane. Once you get to know 'the stride' of the plane you won't have much patience with plodding along nose high trying to maintain low speed. That goes multiple in turns btw, you either don't want to turn at low speed or you want to lose height even faster (by the G's of the turn, a very shallow turn doesn't need much extra height loss but a 45 degree bank does) if you do just to avoid high induced drag and consequent speed loss.

If you get your speed up before contact and don't let it get low. Do that through tactics, why you should know many is to pick ones that don't kill your speed like flat turns/getting down to best sustained climb/popping flaps, at least where you won't have time or space to regain speed before needing to jink/turn/climb. Bad tactical choices will leave you low and slow and looking over your shoulder in fright while bleeding speed always. If that's all you know how to do then spend more time practicing flying maneuvers with an eye towards tactics and speed. 400+ kph 2G or less maneuvers will keep you competitive far more than 320- kph and 2G or more maneuvers. Most of these planes don't 'start life' until 340+ kph!

ElAurens
10-09-2010, 08:26 AM
To put it simply and succinctly, the AI cheat.

They fly without overheating, their aircraft are trimmed by a computer, their engines are controlled by a computer, they have perfect 360 degree awareness, they do not black out, and they use a very simplified flight model that allows them to do things that a human virtual pilot cannot do.

The AI are the weakest link in the entire IL2 series, and always have been.

It's why I do not fly offline except to test or make screen shots.

M_Gunz
10-09-2010, 02:05 PM
The AI? They only know you're behind them if you get in close enough, under 250m more like under 200m, and stay there for a while. They don't know right off. They can't shoot deflection well at all and have no idea when you have deflection shots lined up on them even when you are in view. They have limited tactics, get predictable and can't predict you if you're any good at all. They are 'stoopid' and 'slo in tha hed'.

However they can see in the dark and don't have problems with patchy LOD's or judging distance and speed. Coupled with their limited IQ's it almost makes them decent opponents. Almost.

If you can't beat the AI most of the time then you're fit to play against noobs online but stay away from good players.

WTE_Galway
10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
If you can't beat the AI most of the time then you're fit to play against noobs online but stay away from good players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I always thought the people who played a mixture of offline and online were better than the pure online only jocks who seemed often to be one trick ponies who floundered when flying anything other than their favorite rides much of the time.

Also the overall standard of online players seemed to be dropping rapidly when I quit online play about 4 or 5 years ago, no idea if that trend has continued.

One bit of advice I used to give new players online is avoid fighting solo against squad players and people with wingmen and try as fast as possible to hook up with a decent squad and/or team up with a wingman.

M2morris
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DROBNJAK1960:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put your gear up.

(sorry, could'nt resist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif)

K_Freddie
10-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Hang on a moment.. here's the problem and it's nothing to do with the AI... it's to do with your tactics.
Links in the next post (give me time to find/upload the tracks)
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

K_Freddie
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Sorry only Version 4.08 relevant tracks.

anyway try flying awy from the Ai for 5 secs, then turn back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M2morris
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
Sorry only Version 4.08 relevant tracks.

anyway try flying awy from the Ai for 5 secs, then turn back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, or if you can climb higher, at the cost of airspeed, than the AI they will turn and fight if you get higher than they are.

Terry-Thomas
10-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Just to clarify, are you struggling to keep up with enemy planes during combat manoeuvres or catch up with enemy planes over long distances i.e. distant enemy planes flying away from you?

Iím a complete noob but, if it is the latter I find dropping my prop speed a little when flying straight and level gives me a greater top speed.

megalopsuche
10-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Nice new sig pic freddie. It reminds me of my hometown in central CA.