PDA

View Full Version : vertical scissors the defensive manouber of sparrows

raaaid
05-25-2009, 07:56 AM
do you have sparrows in your country? no doubt is my favourite animal

how effective are defensive vertical scissors? never tried them and long ago since trim was on slider didnt see them again

should i do it like sparrows and put 0 throttle on the way down?

i mean this defense must be great against zoomers like eagles when the dinosaurs birds use it

raaaid
05-25-2009, 07:56 AM
do you have sparrows in your country? no doubt is my favourite animal

how effective are defensive vertical scissors? never tried them and long ago since trim was on slider didnt see them again

should i do it like sparrows and put 0 throttle on the way down?

i mean this defense must be great against zoomers like eagles when the dinosaurs birds use it

DuckyFluff
05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Beats me......... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

K_Freddie
05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd say do them on the way down, as gravity is the 'great attractor'
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BillSwagger
05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Depending on the plane, vertical scissors are a great evasive maneuver.

I've been duped that way, but i think most experienced pilots avoid pouncing on prey from directly above.

In dives, heavier planes will have to work harder to slow down. However, in climbs the lighter planes will have to work harder.
Gravity is the great attractor, and stall speeds also play a bigger roll in vertical fights.

Ever tried stall fighting??
In a climb you can get so slow that the controls become sloppy, and maneuvering for position becomes a huge challenge. You just hope that you end up pointed down with your enemy in front of you. If not, i'd prefer the heavier plane as its easier to regain speed and get wind going over your control surfaces. The lighter plane might float for a bit longer.

If he's been worked into such a slow stall speed, the heavier plane can dive fast and get away.

Tip: Using a steeper Prop pitch in a stall can push more air over your control surfaces, so you can hang in the stall for longer or roll/yaw your plane into a better position for the scissor fight on the way down.

DuxCorvan
05-25-2009, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
should i do it like sparrows and put 0 throttle on the way down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Birds have no "throttle", Raaaid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i mean this defense must be great against zoomers like eagles when the dinosaurs birds use it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Not that great. Guess what sparrowhawks have usually for dinner.

2) Eagles are as much "dinosaur birds" as the sparrows.

squareusr
05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
A few days ago i was watching some drakes chase a duck. They were circling at great speed for minutes, when another drake decided to join in.

The group was rather high at that point and he was seriously struggling to get co-e on their low six for a while before he had to give up. A few turns later he suddenly appeared behind the group with a very impressive speed advantage. Sadly, there were some obstructions so i could not see the violent bleeding maneuvers he must have needed to fall into formation.

Another for the "what's so great about IL2" collection: gives you a weird new understanding of some selected aspects of nature