PDA

View Full Version : 'Wing Leader' released on Mission4Today.com

DFLion
06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I have just released a 47 mission campaign historically following the RAF career of 'Johnnie' Johnson.
Using his excellent book 'Wing Leader' as a reference, I have really enjoyed puting together a 'Spitfire' campaign for IL2 fans where you fly the Mk Vb and later Mk IX, though sadly not the Mk XIV (have substituted with the 25lbMkIX).
The campaign starts in early 1941 where you fly against Messerschmitt 109F-2's and F-4's. Later the Focke-Wulf 190 enters the scene. Eventually you are equipped with the Spitfire Mk IX's to counter the 190's.
D-Day is featured very comprehensively in this campaign including the battle through the Falaise Gap.
Other combat areas where Johnson was heavily involved were -
Arnhem - 'A bridge too far'
The 'Battle of the Bulge'
'Unternehmen Bodenplatte' - Evere
'Operation Varsity'
All of these missions have been faithfully reproduced.
I hope you enjoy this campaign and would be very interested in your feedback.
DFLion

DFLion
06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I have just released a 47 mission campaign historically following the RAF career of 'Johnnie' Johnson.
Using his excellent book 'Wing Leader' as a reference, I have really enjoyed puting together a 'Spitfire' campaign for IL2 fans where you fly the Mk Vb and later Mk IX, though sadly not the Mk XIV (have substituted with the 25lbMkIX).
The campaign starts in early 1941 where you fly against Messerschmitt 109F-2's and F-4's. Later the Focke-Wulf 190 enters the scene. Eventually you are equipped with the Spitfire Mk IX's to counter the 190's.
D-Day is featured very comprehensively in this campaign including the battle through the Falaise Gap.
Other combat areas where Johnson was heavily involved were -
Arnhem - 'A bridge too far'
The 'Battle of the Bulge'
'Unternehmen Bodenplatte' - Evere
'Operation Varsity'
All of these missions have been faithfully reproduced.
I hope you enjoy this campaign and would be very interested in your feedback.
DFLion

Divine-Wind
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Looks good, I'll definitely check it out!

Doolittle81
06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Where is the campaign?

Billy_DeLyon
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2484

Beaufort-RAF
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Wow, 47 missions, that's a lot of work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

mandrill7
06-13-2007, 03:12 PM
DFL,

I'm interested in what maps you used for some of the NW Europe battles you mentioned. I was thinking that Kurland would be a good stand-in for the Low Countries. Is that what you used?

DFLion
06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Mandrill7,
The maps I used for the northern european air battles in Wing Leader are -
1. Northern Europe - simulating the Dutch/German border region along the river Rhein.
2. Kurland Winter &
3. Kurland Summer - both these maps (I think)very successfully simulating the northern european regions of the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany.
If you have downloaded 'Wing Leader' I have included a PDF of the Kurland map showing my planning sketches for 'Bodenplatte' - I think this worked out very well.
Refer to mission 33 - 'a bridge too far' and mission 40 'Unternehmen Bodenplatte', to look at the maps.(also refer to John Weal's original map in some of his great Osprey reference books)
DFLion

Mysticpuma2003
06-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi Lion, can I just check something with you.

M4T lists the file size as 131mb (in info on left), yet the download file is only 47mb.

Is this correct, or is there a problem?

Looking forward to this, especially Falaise Gap, man I'm never going to get online at this rate playing so many offline campaigns.

Well done to you and all your colleagues who create these missions/campaigns for us.

Cheers, MP.

DFLion
06-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi Mysticpuma2003,
The 'zipped file' is probably 47MB - when you 'unzip it' to the 'click' .exe file and activate it, it expands to 131MB - all the extra files are aircraft skins - there are quite a few of them!
I think this is what is happening.
Let me know if you have any problems with the download - it should be ok.
Thanks for your acknowledgement.
Cheers,
DFLion