PDA

View Full Version : What New York REALLY Looks Like (9-29-07)

Driverman2006
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I went to New York on 9-27-07 to see the Wheel of Fortune taping at Radio City. And I took some pictures of what the real NYC looks like. I sure hope I can contribute a lot to Reflections so that they can make a better looking NYC again in the Driver series. Enjoy!

The_Gabo
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
The pics are awesome, but I'm really tired of New York. I hope Relfections will use another City (Cities) for the next Driver game.

Driverman2006
12-02-2007, 09:19 AM
New York is awesome! I could NEVER resist! Both in the real world and games!

InsaneDriver06
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Nice pics of NYC. Some of the final puzzles on WOF are almost impossible to solve, given the general clue they offer and the limited choice of letters, when I watch it every now and then. That show has been around since the early 80's and still going. Impressive for any show, like the Price is Right with Bob Barker, now retired.

Being in NYC is like entering another world; the buildings are amazingly tall, the sounds and sights on the streets and sidewalks, including all the different people, cars, steam vents, scaffolding, stores, and atmosphere make it a great experience. I wouldn't want to live there or be there at night without a ride home, but it is quite a sight. It's tough not to look UP like a tourist. Then all the vendors wave you down to their tables, hot dog and pretzel stands.

Too bad few games can match it. The closest I've seen is the somewhat broken game, True Crime NYC. That game feels most like NYC from the games I've played. DPL isn't even close I'll admit.

As far as the next location, if Driver could bring NYC into gameform, I won't mind it, but it has to be the closest thing to actually being there. If it's another DPL graphic's wise, which I doubt, no go.

driver_madness
12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Reflections Interactive have a team going around to new york taking thousands of these pictures, they use these to model good re-creations. They don't achually properly remodel the city as they have taken out the most important parts and squished them together. They seem to say its for gameplay reasons but in games like True Crime and Just Cause it's kind of fun having a very large city. But in both these games they repeat the same buildings, textures multiple times which makes the game boring and annoying would be great if reflections could find a great state and copy it exactly.

But that's impossible considering their team size.
It'll take one skilled 3d animator a working day to properly model the outside of a house and usually a couple of days for a properly rendered car. It is possible to make low-poly vehicles in small amounts of time.

With next generation consoles around it's harder to 3d model they same house they modeled in d3 or dpl because now they have better hardware which of course can handle better poly counts.

Also it would be great if you could take some comparison photos of New York (real) and New York (dpl) while your there, it'll be awesome to compare the game to real life.

InsaneDriver06
12-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by driver_madness:
Reflections Interactive have a team going around to new york taking thousands of these pictures, they use these to model good re-creations. They don't achually properly remodel the city as they have taken out the most important parts and squished them together. They seem to say its for gameplay reasons but in games like True Crime and Just Cause it's kind of fun having a very large city. But in both these games they repeat the same buildings, textures multiple times which makes the game boring and annoying would be great if reflections could find a great state and copy it exactly.

That's a good point, also considering the fact major locations restrict the license to duplicate them in game form, so some major landmarks people are used to never show up in the game.

But yeah, visual variety keeps the scenery more interesting, though in NYC, it's just rows of walls in the form of buildings that can't be entered, so it's almost like driving down rows of walls in that sense.

I'd like to see a city, but an open rural area that's at least 100 miles of explorable terrain. TDU did this really well, with 1800 square miles to explore beyond the city and towns.