PDA

View Full Version : HELP with my ps3

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
i want to buy a new ps3 but how do i get all my saved data to the other ps3 and all my downloaded DLC i hope you can help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif how about the codes i got from the black edition will they work ?

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
i want to buy a new ps3 but how do i get all my saved data to the other ps3 and all my downloaded DLC i hope you can help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif how about the codes i got from the black edition will they work ?

tyrce111
07-21-2010, 03:57 AM
I would recomend getting a couple USB drives or a Portable Hard Drive, copy all the information and then put it in your new PS3 and copy it on again...

As for the DLC information im prety sure you can log onto your PSN from your new PS3 and download it...

Im not sure about that though so I would recommend asking around PSN forums...

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 04:15 AM
If you don't mind me asking, why are you getting a new PS3? If your current PS3 is faulty somehow, then, of course, get a new PS3. But if its purely to get more memory, its a lot cheaper to get a new internal hard drive and to replace the HDD yourself. There are plenty of useful videos online, and easy to do. I've taken it out myself and its simply 5 or six screws to remove the hard drive. Just make sure you know enough to replace it before starting (its designed to be simple).

A new hard drive costs only about 50 for a 500GB one (not sure how much in dollars). Just type "PS3 hard drive" into somewhere like amazon, and it will find it for you.

But to save the data (to transfer files), an external hard drive is best. As far as I know, the hard drive will have to be purely for PS3 as it uses a different filing system to PC. (if there is a way to use an external hard drive on both PS3 and PC at the same time, please PM me how or a link to an article as it will be very useful)

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">external hard drive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
external hard drive internal hard drive wooooooot i hate computer stuff

tyrce111
07-21-2010, 04:24 AM
I actualy heard that the slim was MUCH less likely to get the YLOD or the Yellow Light of Death...

I got the slim because I got the YLOD but luckily I saved the memory of me most important data...

The bad thing is eventualy I will get it again and I cant copy of my ACII saved data...

ScytheOfGrim
07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
The YLOD is extremely rare on all PS3s. It's just the very early models that suffer from it.

Why will you "eventually get it again"?
If you have the slim, your chances of getting it are very close to none.

Everything you've downloaded from the PlayStation Store, including DLC, you can download again when you access the store with your PSN account.
You can just copy your save data across and it'll work, but you won't be able to get any Trophies while using those save files on your new PS3.

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by notafanboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">external hard drive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
external hard drive internal hard drive wooooooot i hate computer stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you hate computers, you may help changing the format of the external hard drive to a FAT32 format using a PC (I don't know how you do that). So whatever you do, you'll have to do this.

Also, as I said, if the reason you're getting a new PS3 is PURELY to get more memory, then replacing the PS3's internal hard drive is cheaper, but you'll need to pay attention to how to put the hard drive in.
But if there are other reasons, then it might be best to get a new PS3. Its easier, but, obviously, more expensive.

Either way you'll have to get an External hard drive (cost depends on how much memory it has). This needs some requires some knowledge of how to change its format if its not FAT32 to begin with.

Edit:Oh yeah, as scytheofgrim said, trophies aren't saved to External hard drive/memory sticks, so make sure you sync your trophies to save them to your PSN account (I think you go to trophy collection, press triangle, and then press sync trophies.)

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 05:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by notafanboy:
external hard drive internal hard drive wooooooot i hate computer stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you hate computers, you may help changing the format of the external hard drive to a FAT32 format using a PC (I don't know how you do that). So whatever you do, you'll have to do this.

Also, as I said, if the reason you're getting a new PS3 is PURELY to get more memory, then replacing the PS3's internal hard drive is cheaper, but you'll need to pay attention to how to put the hard drive in.
But if there are other reasons, then it might be best to get a new PS3. Its easier, but, obviously, more expensive.

Either way you'll have to get an External hard drive (cost depends on how much memory it has). This needs some requires some knowledge of how to change its format if its not FAT32 to begin with.

Edit:Oh yeah, as scytheofgrim said, trophies aren't saved to External hard drive/memory sticks, so make sure you sync your trophies to save them to your PSN account (I think you go to trophy collection, press triangle, and then press sync trophies.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont care about trophies ...... but i dont understand anything i have watched vids on youtube but i just suck so hard on computer talk,stuff,eufhufchu,eufhdefhuedfhc,eshfubfhe, or WTF these things are called

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Right, if I'm going to say anything else, I'll probably confuse you further (I've already confused you enough).

All I'll say is find a friend who knows about computers and PS3's to help or wait for someone to reply with a less confusing solution.

tyrce111
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Find something that fits in the hole in your PS3 and copy the data...
Then do the opisite with your new console...

lilbacchant
07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyrce111:
Find something that fits in the hole in your PS3 and copy the data...
Then do the opisite with your new console... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double entendre alert ... biting my tongue ... fervently ...

John21172117
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
i want to buy a new ps3 but how do i get all my saved data to the other ps3 and all my downloaded DLC i hope you can help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif how about the codes i got from the black edition will they work ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the new update had an option to connect to different ps3 and all of your info (trophies, dlc, save data, updates, etc) will be passed to the new ps3 and erased from the old one.
Hope that helps.

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimbo_323:
If you don't mind me asking, why are you getting a new PS3? If your current PS3 is faulty somehow, then, of course, get a new PS3. But if its purely to get more memory, its a lot cheaper to get a new internal hard drive and to replace the HDD yourself. There are plenty of useful videos online, and easy to do. I've taken it out myself and its simply 5 or six screws to remove the hard drive. Just make sure you know enough to replace it before starting (its designed to be simple).

A new hard drive costs only about 50 for a 500GB one (not sure how much in dollars). Just type "PS3 hard drive" into somewhere like amazon, and it will find it for you.

But to save the data (to transfer files), an external hard drive is best. As far as I know, the hard drive will have to be purely for PS3 as it uses a different filing system to PC. (if there is a way to use an external hard drive on both PS3 and PC at the same time, please PM me how or a link to an article as it will be very useful)[/QUOTE
i have watched some videos i think i understand now i have ordered a 250 GB hard drive 5400 rpm i hope it works

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
i have watched some videos i think i understand now i have ordered a 250 GB gard drive 5400 rpm i hope it works </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm guessing that your're getting a new internal hard drive then. Hope it goes well. Remember to back up your files.

If you need help with formatting the external hard drive to transfer files, just send me a PM and I'l try to send you a simple step by step guide to changing the format of the external hard drive from NTFS to FAT32 (if what I'm currently doing actually works). Best to use an unused one as I don't know what happens if there already data on it (like important documents for school/work).

To backup files, you plug in the external hard drive to your PS3 using a USB cable, then turn on your PS3. Go to settings---&gt;System settings---&gt;Backup Utility---&gt;Backup... After that it will ask a few easy questions, like "trophies will note be backed up by performing this operation. Do you wish to continue?" If you do care about them, it tells you what to do. (I'll be backing up my files once I've finished formatting my external hard drive so I'll know more a bit later).
When you put the new internal hard drive in, it should just be a matter of connecting your external hard drive like before, going to settings---&gt;system settings---&gt;Backup Utility---&gt;Restore, and there may be more after that (never had to restore my data before).

Anyway, hope it works. Remember to backup and ask if you need help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

P.S. If the PS3 says it'll format the new internal hard drive when you get it in, just let it do it. I'd guess its just so it can get it to at least a basic operating system so you can use it.

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:
i have watched some videos i think i understand now i have ordered a 250 GB gard drive 5400 rpm i hope it works </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm guessing that your're getting a new internal hard drive then. Hope it goes well. Remember to back up your files.

If you need help with formatting the external hard drive to transfer files, just send me a PM and I'l try to send you a simple step by step guide to changing the format of the external hard drive from NTFS to FAT32 (if what I'm currently doing actually works). Best to use an unused one as I don't know what happens if there already data on it (like important documents for school/work).

To backup files, you plug in the external hard drive to your PS3 using a USB cable, then turn on your PS3. Go to settings---&gt;System settings---&gt;Backup Utility---&gt;Backup... After that it will ask a few easy questions, like "trophies will note be backed up by performing this operation. Do you wish to continue?" If you do care about them, it tells you what to do. (I'll be backing up my files once I've finished formatting my external hard drive so I'll know more a bit later).
When you put the new internal hard drive in, it should just be a matter of connecting your external hard drive like before, going to settings---&gt;system settings---&gt;Backup Utility---&gt;Restore, and there may be more after that (never had to restore my data before).

Anyway, hope it works. Remember to backup and ask if you need help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

P.S. If the PS3 says it'll format the new internal hard drive when you get it in, just let it do it. I'd guess its just so it can get it to at least a basic operating system so you can use it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i will get my hard drive next week http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and why do you need to format ? cant you just plug the usb thing in go into what you said and backup my files

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by notafanboy:i will get my hard drive next week http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and why do you need to format ? cant you just plug the usb thing in go into what you said and backup my files </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Firstly, just to check, when you said hard drive, do you mean a new internal one (one that needs to put into the PS3) or an external one (one that just connects with a USB cable) ?

For external hard drives, I think they are originally programmed to file data in a specific way, but this type of "filing system" is not recognised by PS3. This filing system is called NTFS.
So, in order to use it for PS3, you need to make FAT32 (another filing system) 'partitions' on your external hard drive hard drive by using a computer. The trouble with this filing system is that you have to make multiple ones (partitions) that can't have more than 32GB each. I've been told that the PS3 will recognise all the FAT32 partitions
Its like having a filing cabinet and you have a drawer with a numerical filing system and a drawer with an alphabetical filing system. One can't be added to another, but they can be stored in the same filing cabinet (hard drive) and given labels.
Its complex, I've only got the hang of changing the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32.

For Internal hard drives, it is done automatically by the PS3 when a new hard drive is put inside it. Its so that the hard drive is ready to use and, I'd guess, to install any information it needs to onto the hard drive.

If you are getting an internal hard drive, the PS3 manual tells you how to replace it or you can find it .pdf]here (http://uk.playstation.com/media/2Pv7AFEC/CECH-2102B_2103B-3.20_UKANZ%5BEN) in the "replacing the hard disk" section, but its the instructions for PS3 slim (it should be quite similar to the older PS3's).

Hope this doesn't confuse you further.

notafanboy
07-21-2010, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by notafanboy:i will get my hard drive next week http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and why do you need to format ? cant you just plug the usb thing in go into what you said and backup my files </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Firstly, just to check, when you said hard drive, do you mean a new internal one (one that needs to put into the PS3) or an external one (one that just connects with a USB cable) ?

For external hard drives, I think they are originally programmed to file data in a specific way, but this type of "filing system" is not recognised by PS3. This filing system is called NTFS.
So, in order to use it for PS3, you need to make FAT32 (another filing system) 'partitions' on your external hard drive hard drive by using a computer. The trouble with this filing system is that you have to make multiple ones (partitions) that can't have more than 32GB each. I've been told that the PS3 will recognise all the FAT32 partitions
Its like having a filing cabinet and you have a drawer with a numerical filing system and a drawer with an alphabetical filing system. One can't be added to another, but they can be stored in the same filing cabinet (hard drive) and given labels.
Its complex, I've only got the hang of changing the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32.

For Internal hard drives, it is done automatically by the PS3 when a new hard drive is put inside it. Its so that the hard drive is ready to use and, I'd guess, to install any information it needs to onto the hard drive.

If you are getting an internal hard drive, the PS3 manual tells you how to replace it or you can find it .pdf]here (http://uk.playstation.com/media/2Pv7AFEC/CECH-2102B_2103B-3.20_UKANZ%5BEN) in the "replacing the hard disk" section, but its the instructions for PS3 slim (it should be quite similar to the older PS3's).

Hope this doesn't confuse you further. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i mean the external hard. drive how do i change the thing you were talking about ?
and i got the old fat 40 gb verson (thats why i want a new hard drive)

jimbo11235813
07-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Once I've checked that what I've done actually works, I'll write a step-by-step guide. I'm still waiting for my external hard drive to format into FAT32. I'll probably get the guide done tomorrow (its about 23:41 here, so won't be able to get round to it until after 14:00 or 15:00 tomorrow.)

notafanboy
07-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Once I've checked that what I've done actually works, I'll write a step-by-step guide. I'm still waiting for my external hard drive to format into FAT32. I'll probably get the guide done tomorrow (its about 23:41 here, so won't be able to get round to it until after 14:00 or 15:00 tomorrow.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
have heard you cant copy your ac2 data cause it has anti-copy thing

jimbo11235813
07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah, its a pain in the A, but I'm trying to backup everything else (things like films and stuff that I've recorded using PlayTV and game saves that can be copied).

I haven't been able to successfully format my external Hard drive. Windows limits FAT32 partitions to 32GB so the PS3 only recognises the first one it reads. I'm trying out another method to format it (using DOS on the computer). Its a lot simpler than what I was trying before, but still waiting to see if it will work.

If anyone else can put down a method to format the Hard drive to FAT32 (more than 32GB) while I'm waiting to see if my method works. I'm trying to do it without having to download software, firstly because I'd prefer not to download a potential virus (even if you've had good experience with it), and secondly because the Ubisoft Mods may not like us posting links to free software. This is becoming a nightmare.

notafanboy
07-22-2010, 07:30 AM
where do you look if i want to see how much/many GB i have

jimbo11235813
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
where do you look if i want to see how much/many GB i have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You go to system settings, then to system information and it will tells you how much free space you have left. Its usual for the total memory to be less than the advertised, for example my 120GB PS3 has a total of 111GB (not free but available for me to use). I think the other 9GB is used for softare.)

DOS has failed me. I'm having to donwload software to sort this problem out. As I'm not sure how the mods will react if I leave a link to the site where I got the software. Sorry I can't be of more help

When you get your hard drive, try plugging it into your PS3 and see what happens (don't plug it into the PC).

masterfenix2009
07-24-2010, 03:43 AM
too many big words

Ru1986
07-24-2010, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassino151:
too many big words </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif What a shocking comment to make.

notafanboy
07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
its done thank or your help

SBRedFlag
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
You know you can just make a complete backup onto an external hard drive, and then, when needed, restore the entire image onto a new PS3 if needed, right?