PDA

View Full Version : Italian dubbing. Not that good.

Michelasso
11-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Actually I'm a little upset about the Italian dubbing. Still now, but especially in the 15th century each Italian Region (State) had a different spoken language. Italian comes from the Tuscan language through Dante Alighieri and his Divina Commedia (but if you hear a Tuscan person speaking you'll recognize that his/her Italian is not actually the official one), while in Venice they spoke (and still speak) guess what? The Venetian.

I think Ubi could spend a little bit more effort on hiring dubbers that could speak at least with the original accent of every different city. On English games dubbing are usually spent a lot of energies on having people speaking with Irish, English, Scottish accents, not to mention the text that are in archaic English. At least they could do like R* did in GTA4, that allowed hundreds of people to put their voices in the game for street chatting. That could really improve the game experience, especially considering that Ubi likes the non Italian people playing the game with the Italian language.

Apart from that the game is great. One of the greatest ever in my experience.

Michelasso
11-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Actually I'm a little upset about the Italian dubbing. Still now, but especially in the 15th century each Italian Region (State) had a different spoken language. Italian comes from the Tuscan language through Dante Alighieri and his Divina Commedia (but if you hear a Tuscan person speaking you'll recognize that his/her Italian is not actually the official one), while in Venice they spoke (and still speak) guess what? The Venetian.

I think Ubi could spend a little bit more effort on hiring dubbers that could speak at least with the original accent of every different city. On English games dubbing are usually spent a lot of energies on having people speaking with Irish, English, Scottish accents, not to mention the text that are in archaic English. At least they could do like R* did in GTA4, that allowed hundreds of people to put their voices in the game for street chatting. That could really improve the game experience, especially considering that Ubi likes the non Italian people playing the game with the Italian language.

Apart from that the game is great. One of the greatest ever in my experience.

wieetsguy
11-29-2009, 06:55 AM
This is true for a fact, and I might be one of the first persons to nitpick, but to actually go through the trouble of rewriting all dialogue in the historical Tuscan dialect is not any easier than rewriting all dialogue in Middle English. They don't do this with other games either, and hell even in the Passion of the Christ they speak Ecclesiastical Latin when they should be speaking Classical Latin (for example, "ecce homo" is pronounced "ekke homo" and not "etche homo"), so I don't see why it would be that necessary.

Michelasso
11-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, yeah. But at least they could work on the accents. There is a great dubbing industry in Italy for the movies. Even in The Simpsons they assigned different Italian accents to various characters. So the actors are there. All right for the dialogues, to be in official Italian could made sense, but at least the street voices could differ. Actually they seem the same of AC1. And the heralds. Wherever we are they seem to repeat the same old stuff. I don't believe that few thousands euro for more and better voices would have hurt much. Not even that. If they asked fans like me could translate the dialogues in Venetian just a for a free game!

Stonelaw
11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
This was addressed in one of the interviews. It would have taken too much time and money to get it all right, so they chose to find a middle ground instead

JudgeQwerty
11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I noticed that the Italin dub is very dub-y and doesn't fit their mouth movements at all.

keepth3beat
11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
I noticed that the Italin dub is very dub-y and doesn't fit their mouth movements at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably because it's just the original animation with the Italian dubbed over it. It would cost way too much money for them to reanimate around every language.

I'm confused, is the Italian dub done with all the English voice actors, or do they have a separate cast?

Michelasso
11-30-2009, 06:06 AM
I don't understand the "too much money" issue. Every single movie, even the tv ones, gets dubbed in Italian. Either that or nearly no one would pay for them. Also it is dubbed already. I don't think that to do a good job would cost more than to dub a movie. That applies to games in English as well. Lip synch is always an issue. The funny thing is that Ubi made an effort to give Italian accents to the English version. Too bad that they sound souther Italians, at lest the couple of minutes that I listed to them. Nothing to do with Tuscan or Venetian accents! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I'm not really complaining. Just pointing it out. I just don't understand why videogames must usually get second class dubbing (if dubbed at all, like GTA4. Now it's mandatory by Sony at least for PS3 videogames to have all of them dubbed, isn't it?).