PDA

View Full Version : Nostromo Gamepad or Mouse Emulator long zoom?

Saunders1953
01-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Salute!

I recently bought a Nostromo n52 Gamepad and I really like it. I don't have TrackIR yet, but this works pretty good, much better than searching all over the keyboard in the heat of battle. You can program it to match the key commands for the game, mouse buttons, mouse axis and scroll. Great so far, but the mouse axes only go one direction (X) right to left, and (Y) up to down. There doesn't seem to be an inverse function to make the view run in the opposite direction. And for zoom, I can only use the keyboard numberpad FOV commands, which give only a short zoom factor (the same distance you get in external view using gunsight view/normal view). This isn't a problem for game purposes, but for watching tracks or, hopefully soon, making movies, it would be nice to have these options.

In addition to X and Y, the mouse axes settings include an "R" axis--I don't recall this one from algebra/geometry 30 years ago, but assume it adds the third dimension, and should be the zoom control. But no such luck when I try to map a Nostromo key to it. Mapping to the FOV keys works OK, and to the keyboard numberpad for the pan views, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the long zoom. Is it even possible with this gamepad and/or a mouse emulator program? Or am I doing something wrong?

Btw, Nostromo has a macro function that allows you to map several keys (CtrL+F1 for example) to one--I've messed with setting one key to the left mouse button and another to the R axes, and also tried recording a macro of the appropriate mouse, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

RocketRobin__
01-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I also have a Notromo N52 Game Pad.

The great thing about the N52 is it's exceptional range of functionality and bank shifting, which provides enough functionality to replace the keyboard entirely. That combined with the mouse wheel and hat, and it appears to be a pretty cool contoller.
On the negative side:
- The thumb controls are not nearly tactile enough and the ratchety action of the mouse wheel is a joke.
- The ergonomics of the finger pad were designed for people with five thumbs on their left hand.
- The software interface is fantastic if you run Panther OS. I'm one of those dirt-bags that don't.
Belkin clearly fumbled the concepts of anatomy and user friendly operation for the masses, while focusing on artsy design and promoting an unprecedented level 'cheapnis' with the n52.
The only reason I use mine is because it's the only thing on the market that provides such exceptional functionality. If any other game controller manufacturer released a similar device, I'm sure it would take about 10 seconds for my Nostromo ghey pad to end up in a recycling bin.

I give this thing a 3/10, kinda like when I told that girl, "You're an eight!", while she was sitting on my... well, that's another story.

kiddknapp59
01-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Here is what I use (note the expensive antique desk). The pad has 50 programmable buttons, for single key presses or macros. Between the pad and the X45 I never have to touch the keyboard.
http://www.edknapp.net/sim/hotas1.jpg

Saunders1953
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Nice rig, Kiddknapp. And you're right, RocketRobin, the mouse wheel is virtually useless, but I've got everything mapped for the in game commands on 2 shifts/layers, so it beats hunting around the keyboard by far.

So, is there a way to get the gamepad to emulate the mouse and zoom in and out long distances? Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?

Chef-Scott
01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Here is my setup. I love my n52, I do not use the keyboard at all. I use the mouse wheel for the throttle. The older n50 had a slider in place of the mouse wheel on the n52.
http://www.sesraw.com/Chef-Scott/mydesk.jpg

Jettexas
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Saunders,

The answer to your question about mapping mouse look to your nostromo is yes, kinda, you can map the mouse emulation to the thumbpad.but not with the n-52 software alone you still need a hook into the game.
, I used to do this before I got Track IR, search the forums for a post with a link to the latest version of NewView , its a third party mouse look software that hooks into the game using the same hook as track ir.
This software will allow you to map your mouse look to the top hat on your stick, and some other cool things.
Install NewView-(this used to be rather complicated not sure with the newer versions)
Get NewView setup for your stick, then go into the the NewVIew software and add the thumbpad as a secondary "pov" device. Youll now have the mouselook on both your tophat and the thumbpad of the nostromo.Then you can disable the top hat on the stick if you wish to use it for other functions. Myself I found it useful to have a mouse look at my disposal in either hand but that is up to individual tastes. Since the thumpad is now the mouse view (in or out of the cockpit)it will help you with the smooth pan you desire for movie making.

As to zooming the view,( i never tried it with the wheel I used 2 buttons, in and out)Maybe im just not getting something... unless they changed the profile editor dramatically and reduced function greatly, I think you should be able to get a full range ofthe (first person view) zoom functions with the macros (patterns of keypresses) in your case you need to map a keyboard key in your game controls section to the zoom feature you want to use in game, then in the nostromo profile editor map a key of the nostromo as a macro/or single key to hit the same zoom function key you just set up in game. If you want to have it repeat with a single keystroke just create and save a macro with mulitple keystrokes of that same key.
Your view will move forward or backward through the zoom levels available in a bit of a jerky fashion.

If you mean the real cool mouse drag external zooms, I dont think you can map that, but you could get a mouse emu program that will allow you to access the drag function by means of the num pad. Very useful for smooth long pans and zoom when track editing/moviemaking.But not of much practical use in actual game play.much smoother than mouse or ball and speed adjustable.The one I use is called "mouseemu.exe" and I got it freeware from somewhere.

Sry for the fuzzy description.. its been a while since i did this but my old setup had funtion very similar to what you are wanting to do so I know it will work. Hope this helps.

S!

Jettexas

Saunders1953
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey Jettexas:

Man, thanks a load, I really appreciate your detailed answer. As for zooming, I did map the zoom in a macro, but it's the smooth external mouse drags that I was hoping to emulate in the Nostromo. I actually downloaded the mouseemu.exe a while ago, but I never really explored it after a quick review of the readme--it didn't seem to add anything more than the gamepad. I'll check it out more carefully. Thanks again, friend. Very, very helpful.