PDA

View Full Version : OT Bereavment fare

stugumby
09-16-2005, 04:53 PM
guess i spelled it right, anyhow mom is in a bad way and the end will be soon. i tried to get a no notice bereavment fair when my dad passed away but i ended up paying more than the regular fare due to last minute need for the seat, that was 2 years ago, anyone know the right proceedure??? or airlines that are more competetive.

stugumby
09-16-2005, 04:53 PM
guess i spelled it right, anyhow mom is in a bad way and the end will be soon. i tried to get a no notice bereavment fair when my dad passed away but i ended up paying more than the regular fare due to last minute need for the seat, that was 2 years ago, anyone know the right proceedure??? or airlines that are more competetive.

Zeus-cat
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I think you need to call and ask them for the special fare. At some point they will insist on official documetation (death certificate) that the person died or they will charge you the full fare.

I lost my mother about 5 years ago. you have my sympathies.

Zeus-cat

Kuna15
09-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I could not help with answering, but I'm sorry to hear that.

NAFP_supah
09-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Sorry about your mother, I am of the age where my parents are still in their early 50's. Can't imagine how bad it must be to loose either one of them, my most sincere condolences. Could anyone explain the term bereavement fare to me?

LW_lcarp
09-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Its a price break to fly to a lovrd ones funeral. Lost my dad 5 years ago so i feel your pain.

Zeus-cat
09-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Airlines charge higher ticket prices the closer you buy your ticket to departure. The reasoning is that business travelrers book tickets at the last minute and they will pay higher fares than people taking vacation.

People who have to travel at the last minute for emergencies get hit with these higher fares, so the airlines offer bereavement fares if you can show that you had to travel for a reason like stugumby.

Zeus-cat