PDA

View Full Version : Trim - how to find capabilities?

mango42
03-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Perhaps I havren't done enough homework but where is the information on each plane's trim capabilities? The reason I ask is that the trim keys seem to act very weird on the two pooters I use IL2FB+AEP on. F'rinstance on a Spitfire, tapping CTRL+up produces no effect but CTRL+down arrow applies full down elevator - summat not right here! I read somewhere that the Spits had no aileron trim - if this is correct, how did pilots deal with the starboard wing droop? CTRL+left or right arrow sure don't seem to do anything on my rigs... Same goes for CTRL Z&X for rudder trim, but I haven't pinned that one down yet...

Can anyone suggest a plane that responds accurately to all these key combinations so I can be certain once and for all that it's not a bug or some intermittent hardware malfunction. (Keyboard responds normally outside IL2)

Thanks in advance for any hints,

mango

mango42
03-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Perhaps I havren't done enough homework but where is the information on each plane's trim capabilities? The reason I ask is that the trim keys seem to act very weird on the two pooters I use IL2FB+AEP on. F'rinstance on a Spitfire, tapping CTRL+up produces no effect but CTRL+down arrow applies full down elevator - summat not right here! I read somewhere that the Spits had no aileron trim - if this is correct, how did pilots deal with the starboard wing droop? CTRL+left or right arrow sure don't seem to do anything on my rigs... Same goes for CTRL Z&X for rudder trim, but I haven't pinned that one down yet...

Can anyone suggest a plane that responds accurately to all these key combinations so I can be certain once and for all that it's not a bug or some intermittent hardware malfunction. (Keyboard responds normally outside IL2)

Thanks in advance for any hints,

mango

Saunders1953
03-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Bump. Me want too.

DmdSeeker
03-29-2005, 02:30 PM
First; check your key mapping. While few planes have trim in all three axis; none have trim in only one direction on any one axis. If you can trim up; then you can trim down; or something's wrong.

Secondly; while there's some documentation; in the form of PDF manuals and various read me's; it's nither accessable nor reliable. Unfortunately the only (and best) way to really check what trim is available on which aircraft is to take a look from an exterier view and see if all the control surfaces move.

Thirdly; one plane which defiantely has trim on all three axis is the P51 D; so use that one to check your key mapping.

LEXX_Luthor
03-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Yough mango, map HOTAS elevator trim to mousewheel. It seems to work more smooth, and you don't have to count clicks, and, it works for elevator trim up and down.

In the Controls menu, at the bottom is HOTAS controls, click blank space across from "Elevator Trim" to get into it, then roll the top of mousewheel back (towards you), this will display -Mouse Z axis (instead of Mouse Z axis, which you get if you roll the wheel the other way, which in my experience is the opposite of most vertically mounted aircraft elevator trim control wheels--yes trim wheels, the reason I prefer mousewheel for elevator trim.

mango42
03-31-2005, 06:18 AM
Great tip LexLuther - I'll give it try.

Thanks for the advice, DmdSeeker - plug for P51 noted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I'm not up on US planes but sure appreciate the trike undercarriage sometimes...

mango42
03-31-2005, 06:21 AM
Sorry bout the misspelling, LEXX_Luthor.

Just noticed great your quote "At the altitudes this community flies at, diving is not an option." ~Stiglr

Gravity always roolz...