PDA

View Full Version : Fatal1ty XFI Gamer Pro and Z5500 5.1 mini review

BrotherVoodoo
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Last week I got some new toys! I have never had a dedicated sound card before so I decided to take the plunge and got the Creative Fatal1ty Xfi Gamer pro and a set of Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system. Man o man, what an improvement! I can hear things in the game I have never heard before. The overall game sound has improved immensly. I can't believe I waited this long. A very worth while upgrade. If you are fed up with the ingame sounds and are using the onboard sound on your MB I highly recommend this audio card.
The Z5500 speaker system rocks hard! a 10" sub certainly does the trick. You can get this sytem loud and it stays clean. I believe there is 1000+ watts in this baby so if you are in an apartment your neighbors might hate you. IL2 sounds pretty sweet in 5.1 also.

BrotherVoodoo
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Last week I got some new toys! I have never had a dedicated sound card before so I decided to take the plunge and got the Creative Fatal1ty Xfi Gamer pro and a set of Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system. Man o man, what an improvement! I can hear things in the game I have never heard before. The overall game sound has improved immensly. I can't believe I waited this long. A very worth while upgrade. If you are fed up with the ingame sounds and are using the onboard sound on your MB I highly recommend this audio card.
The Z5500 speaker system rocks hard! a 10" sub certainly does the trick. You can get this sytem loud and it stays clean. I believe there is 1000+ watts in this baby so if you are in an apartment your neighbors might hate you. IL2 sounds pretty sweet in 5.1 also.

DooDaH2007
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Could you please post the [sound] part of your conf.ini..?

FA_Whisky
05-17-2007, 02:26 AM
1000+ watts? No way. More about 20watts per channel with 10% distortion(thd).
If you are taling about PMPO power, thats the real power multiplied with your gandma's age.
This is a 200 watt amplifier.
You need five of those for a rear 1000 watt setup.
http://www.audio-illusions.net/5_1500-01.jpg
You need size and cooling for 1000+ watts.

Bearcat99
05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I am sure you noticed a performance jump too. Especially coming from onboard sound. You might want to go into IL2 setup in the 46 folder and reconfig your sound.

BrotherVoodoo
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
You are correct whiskey... Its 500+watt total output. Thanks for the correction. Here are the Logitech Z5500 specs.
Bear, I have my settings at 5.1 in the game, I will tinker with the other conf.ini settings when I get some time this weekend.

Total RMS power:
505 watts RMS

Satellites:
3-inch polished aluminum phase plug drivers
317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center)

Subwoofer:
10-inch high-excursion ported driver
188 watts RMS

Total Peak Power:
400 watts

Frequency Response:
33Hz - 20kHz

Amplifier
Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog

Signal to Noise Ratio
>93.5 dB, typical 100

Input Impedance
8,000 ohms

Features

THX® Certification
10" high-excursion ported sub driver with a 6th order bass reflex enclosure.
5.1 configuration
505 watts RMS
Wireless Remote
Hardware decoding for Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bit
Digital optical and coaxial inputs for DVD players, CD players or PC sound cards.
6 Channel Direct Inputs
6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards
Package Contents

4 Satellites
1 Center Channel
1 Subwoofer
6-Channel Direct Cable
Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center
Wireless Remote Control (batteries included)
User´s Manual
2 Year Limited Warranty

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-19-2007, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:
The Z5500 speaker system rocks hard! a 10" sub certainly does the trick. You can get this sytem loud and it stays clean. I believe there is 1000+ watts in this baby so if you are in an apartment your neighbors might hate you. IL2 sounds pretty sweet in 5.1 also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remeber when I got myself a XFI Extreme and a Sennheiser headset last fall. I came in here a gave a mini review as well similar to yours. IL-2 with maxed out sound settings and and XFI with good speakers or headset does not sound near as bad as so many think it does. It actually sounds quite good.

The prices have come way down for a XFI and trust me if you go out and yourself one you will not be sorry. You will also notice an immediate increase in performance. And if your upgrading from cheesy onboard sound you will absolutely be blown away.

FA_Whisky
05-20-2007, 02:26 AM
If you buy a sound system, look for the output power vs THD. THD is the distorion level.
A car radio will give you 40watts per channel, but with 10%THD. It will sound like **** at 40watts.
The power you can actually use for music is about 18watts with a THD of 1%. 1% is about max and the music will sound ok. My hifi amp will put out 110 watts at 0.001% THD and weighs about 40 pounds.
The dealers will make you think you bought a hi power system, but most of the time they will give you the absolute maximum power rating before it blows up.

Look at the power it draws from the mains. A good amp will user about 70% for audio output.

BrotherVoodoo
05-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I can crank this baby to 100% and there is zero distortion to my ears and being a rock musician I do tend to like it loud. I am very happy with these "PC" speakers. Logitech has done a good job with this product IMO.
I am still hearing new sounds everytime I go up it seems and loving every minute of it.