PDA

View Full Version : Why French revolution?

freddie_1897
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I've got nothing against an AC during the French revolution, I just want to know various reasons why it would work well. Forgive me, I'm quite ignorant of French history.

If you don't think it would work, why not?

naran6142
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
i think a lot of people think this because of wat shaun said at the end of ACB

i have nothing against it but i do hope that we dont see a time period further a head then ezio time

lukaszep
12-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Because it's in a time of change and power shifts, which is where the Assassin's come in. And also because of what Shaun says at the end of AC:B. The rumors first started after AC1 though when Patcher speculated AC2 would take place in France during the revolution, and the rumors never really died.

Kimberly1979
12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
French Revolution is a key period of the World's History, not just France.

Human Rights, philosophy, politics, and a lot of famous people to roam around. That's what you had during the French Rovolution. And a big violent chaos to add some flavor.

I hope it will take place there, it is perfect for AC athmosphere.

Yairo809
12-19-2011, 07:20 PM
i kind of wanted the series to go into the conquistador era

kriegerdesgottes
12-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Well the events of the French Revolution are amazing and fits the story of AC perfectly, almost too perfectly actually. I don't feel like going through all of it here but basically the starving French people demand freedom or at least liberty from their king,They tear down the Bastille with their bare hands and kill the king's guards and almost the queen, the jacobins(Led by Maximillen Robespierre and a few others) meet in a handball court and say they will keep meeting until they have a constitution and eventually take control of the country and start killing everyone against their revolution, king tries to escape to Austria, Jean Paul Marrat creates a paper called Le ami de peuble (which I'm sure I spelled wrong and means the friend of the people) where he makes lists of people against the revolution who are then sent to the guillotine to die, Awesome female assassin kills Jean Paul Marrat for causing violence and chaos. Robbespierre who was one of the main figures changes his mind about being non-violent and starts demanding blood and death especially of the king who is killed and then later the queen also.Religion,especially christianity, is outlawed and the Christian calender is turned into a different calender, Robbespierre begins to see himself as a god-like figure and goes too far saying that he has more names of people who are traitors but he won't give the names, People worry they are on the list so they capture Robespierre who shoots himself in the jaw and is then unable to speak and is then sent to the guillotine himself after he sent so many others to their deaths, Napoleon takes power.

It's a very long fascinating story that I would suggest reading up because I am positive that I left a lot out and forgot a lot as well but on top of all the stuff that occurred and the interesting people who lived at the time, the location itself also fits AC perfectly like Paris and Versailles.

This was also the time shortly after the American Revolution had taken place which could be referenced and the parachute was officially invented by a Frenchman and also the Submarine by a Frenchman.

thekarlone
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
French Revolution is the perfect context to take place a new AC game: the atmosphere, the history, the places (Paris, Versalles), the historical characters, the historical groups (jacobins, girondists, etc) the end of the Absolutism, the rise of the Bourgeoisie in politics, etc.

In addition, we could visit places like the Palace of Versailles, Place de la Concorde, Cordeliers Convent, Musée du Louvre, Notre Dame de Paris, Sainte-Chapelle, La Conciergerie, the Bastille, etc.

PS: The submarine was first a Spanish invention, not French.

kriegerdesgottes
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Actually we are both kind of wrong about the submarine. Apparently the first one was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the service of James I of England. then the "turtle" was built in 1775 and the French built one in 1800(which was around the time of the French Revolution)

YuurHeen
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
to be honest i hope not. i can already hear gaurds with a fake french accent or a clowny/friendly napoleon. for that mather i doubt it will be a southern europa country again so soon.
there are a lot of good candidates.
england, new york state history, china, egypt, etc.

thekarlone
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
Actually we are both kind of wrong about the submarine. Apparently the first one was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the service of James I of England. then the "turtle" was built in 1775 and the French built one in 1800(which was around the time of the French Revolution)

That's right, but the current system of a submarine, the submarine (with the same concept as we currently have) is Spanish. The previous ones are incomplete projects of investigation about the submarine idea.

Da Vinci invented a robot, a machine to fly, etc., but he's not the inventor of the plane, helicopter, etc. This is something similar.

Sevenofnine-st
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
Jean Paul Marrat creates a paper called Le ami de peuble (which I'm sure I spelled wrong and means the friend of the people) where he makes lists of people against the revolution who are then sent to the guillotine to die

The right spelling would be "L'Ami du peuple". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It was indeed a fascinating period ripe with political intrigue and plenty of assassinations. Perfect for AC!

kriegerdesgottes
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by thekarlone:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:

That's right, but the current system of a submarine, the submarine (with the same concept as we currently have) is Spanish. The previous ones are incomplete projects of investigation about the submarine idea.

Da Vinci invented a robot, a machine to fly, etc., but he's not the inventor of the plane, helicopter, etc. This is something similar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh ok yeah that is true, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@ sevenofnine-st Thanks for the correction, I was going totally off memory there and I never was any good at French :P

masterfenix2009
12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Besides the history,is there any gameplay reasons to be there?

B_Crispino
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
apparently, napoleon's apple ended up with his brother near that site in new york... so that would fit in the story...

Bipolar Matt
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I would love to see the French Revolution as the setting for AC3. I don't think you could ask for a more perfect time and place for an AC game.

Reasons other than history for gameplay? French cities (Paris, Bordeaux, etc) would be great to play in. Architecture. That would be awesome climbing Notre Dame and other famous French landmarks (although the Eiffel Tower wasn't constructed until about 100 years later). The story would fit perfectly, a new selection of weapons at the time without being overpowered by guns and having them upset the gameplay balance. It'd be perfect.

brick177
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
As much as I agree with the French Revolution being, politically, a good setting, I think it is too far in the future as far as sword play goes. And sword play is a major tenet of the game. The last hurrah for melee combat was really the 1600's and I think a highly underutilized genre that was still heavily influenced by the Templars historically would be the Spanish Conquests.

kriegerdesgottes
12-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by assassino151:
Besides the history,is there any gameplay reasons to be there?

Well like I said before the parachute was officially invented around this time by a Frenchman and like some others have pointed out, the country itself is not only incredibly beautiful but fits well with the AC cities. Also I disagree totally that guns were too prominent at this time being that a musket was not much more reliable at this time than the archubus used in the last couple games. That's where the expression "wait until you see the whites of their eyes" comes from. Because the musket was so incredibly inaccurate and only shot one bullet at a time and took about 10-15 seconds to reload each time. The more powerful reliable guns didn't really start showing up until the 19th century.

Also now that I think of it, Ben Franklin, John Adams, Lafayette, Thomas Jefferson all spent time in France around this time, also Thomas Pain I believe. They would all be very interesting people to meet along with King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and the famous "fish ladies". I could go on and on about how awesome of a game the French Revolution could be.

BeCk41
12-21-2011, 04:36 AM
It would be hilarious if the next game took place in America, everyone would be like: (O.o)-"well we were wrong." I think the next setting should be in Russia, so many interesting places to see there.

kriegerdesgottes
12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by BeCk41:
It would be hilarious if the next game took place in America, everyone would be like: (O.o)-"well we were wrong." I think the next setting should be in Russia, so many interesting places to see there.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, in fact, I think it will be in America which would suck (I am American btw). I am just giving my reasons for why the French Revolution would be a much better setting than New York at any time in history.

killzab
12-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Russia could be great but ... only for a later spin off IMO.

We already know what it would be like with AC the fall ... so much for creativity then !