PDA

View Full Version : no damage model for runway cratering?

Flyby_99
03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
As the title suggests, why can't we have a damage model for runway cratering? I think it would be great to launch a strike on an enemy airfield, and render it's runways (and perimeter area) unusable for take off. I can see it now: low level penetration in to enemy airspace, strike the runways, then go for the flak (er...vice versa). D'oh! It reminds me of the days gone by when I was flying DI's Tornado. ahhh... the good old days.
Flyby out

Troll2k
03-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Bomb craters now do do damage.Try rolling over a hole just left by a 500kger.However it does not last(the bigger the bomb the longer the crater lasts).There has been some talk to make the time limit adjustable in the mission builder.

Bearcat99
03-03-2005, 03:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Airmail109
03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Humph even In Ef2000 if you bombed a run way it would put the run way out of action for a certain amount of time.....would add a new dimension to vulching! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

F19_Orheim
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Guys.. it IS implemented..

Extreme_One
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
Bomb craters now do do damage.Try rolling over a hole just left by a 500kger.However it does not last(the bigger the bomb the longer the crater lasts).There has been some talk to make the time limit adjustable in the mission builder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

SeperateCheck
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
It's implemented in the game.

What happens is the crater stays there for a certain amount of time. Depends on the size of the bomb. Big bomb craters stay there longer..for up to 30 seconds or a minute.

I remember one of these recent patches made the change..so that craters stayed there. Instead of disappearing after a few seconds.

After I found out the craters stick around for a little while, I wanted to see what kind of chaos I could cause online with this new effect.
I'd crater the bad guys' runways and taxi ways.
I should have just dropped the bombs on the bad guys.

I remember distinctly one time I cratered the taxi way all the bad guys were using to take off from. I guess I landed the bomb too close to where they start at..because they never picked up enough speed to make the crater more than a little bump in the road.

I reckon it'd be best to crater the runway...before the bad guys start trying to land. And if they don't notice the crater in time...they're gonna have problems. If the craters actually stuck around for more than thirty seconds, this might actually be a valid tactic.

Bomb blasted flight decks are much more hazardous. Hehe. One bomb crater on the deck of a carrier will make it impossible to land, take off or both.

oh well...not like they had durandal anti-runway missiles back then. But I'm certain dodging bomb craters on landings and take offs did happen.

If you're really determined to take out a runway, you're gonna need big bombs and a lot of them. Not to mention getting them on target. And after all that effort? One runway out of action for one minute.

Just drop the bombs on the bad guys. They like it.

Tooz_69GIAP
03-03-2005, 11:58 PM
From the PF 3.0 ReadMe (you'd think noone ever read the thing!!!):

Craters: When bombs and artillery shells hit the ground, the crater they create will actually affect any objects running over it. This most importantly affects craters placed on runway surfaces. If an aircraft runs over the crater its gear may be damaged and it may crash. These craters however are not permanent, and will disappear over time. The lifespan of the crater will depend on the size of the bomb or shell that created it, and may vary from 1 minute 20 seconds to 10 minutes.

LeadSpitter_
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
they do work but the time of the crators needs to stay much long especially for smaller bombtypes.