PDA

View Full Version : Server connection problem has us stumped

Tailspin45
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
A friend I and fly together as often as possible. Unfortunately a high percentage of the time he is unable to log on to me computer as server. Somewhat less often he is also unable to logon to HyperLobby. But to be clear, he often CAN logon, proving we have ports etc set up right .

So he upgraded from DSL to a new 5Mbs service. And we have the same #^&* problem!

Can anyone help us try to diagnose what the problem might be?

His reasonably capable system runs through a router to a Verizon fiber-optic broadband system to my 15Mbs down/ 2 Mbs up Time-Warner cable system, through a router to a wi-fi base-station to my pretty fast Windows machine. Port 21000 is open in my router, base-station, and firewall. (Another friend is able to log-on to me without any problem, so I'm confident the problem isn't at my end. But....)

Thoughts, anyone?

Tailspin

Tailspin45
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
A friend I and fly together as often as possible. Unfortunately a high percentage of the time he is unable to log on to me computer as server. Somewhat less often he is also unable to logon to HyperLobby. But to be clear, he often CAN logon, proving we have ports etc set up right .

So he upgraded from DSL to a new 5Mbs service. And we have the same #^&* problem!

Can anyone help us try to diagnose what the problem might be?

His reasonably capable system runs through a router to a Verizon fiber-optic broadband system to my 15Mbs down/ 2 Mbs up Time-Warner cable system, through a router to a wi-fi base-station to my pretty fast Windows machine. Port 21000 is open in my router, base-station, and firewall. (Another friend is able to log-on to me without any problem, so I'm confident the problem isn't at my end. But....)

Thoughts, anyone?

Tailspin

blairgowrie
01-06-2008, 06:56 AM
I do a lot of the hosting for our squad the Danger Dogz. I have found that most of the issues with non connect are attributable to router settings and particularly to using the correct IP number for the hosting or receiving computer. Routers have a habit of assigning new IP numbers at the oddest times. After a reformat for example. If you have a DHCP server on your router you can permanently assign an IP number which will not change. I have done this on mine.

If you both turn off your anti virus and your firewalls and can't connect, then the problem has to be with your routers settings.

If you need some help with screen shots etc, I would be more than happy to oblige.

TAW_Oilburner
01-06-2008, 07:04 AM
If he or you have hamachi installed this could effect it. IL2 is OLD and is very sensitive to network binding order and always uses the first adapter. Click, start, settings, network, advanced, advanced again and make sure the network card is on top (unless using hamachi, then make sure it's on top). This is the main problem we run into when hosting coops.