PDA

View Full Version : any advice to quit smoking

raaaid
05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
yesterday i smoke 6 cigarretes and today just one, i cant quit all of the sudden have to do it by steps, been smoking 20 years lately 20 a day

any advice?

btw by the threads i start you should know what kind of cigarretes im talking about

raaaid
05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
yesterday i smoke 6 cigarretes and today just one, i cant quit all of the sudden have to do it by steps, been smoking 20 years lately 20 a day

any advice?

btw by the threads i start you should know what kind of cigarretes im talking about

Breeze147
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah, stick the lit end in your ear. You'll always make the association.

foxyboy1964
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
One to six a day? You've got no reason to quit Raid. But if you want to all you have to do is keep yourself busy. I found it easy to quit just by keeping active. Smoking is one of those things you do when you are bored. So don't get bored.

foxyboy1964
05-05-2008, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
Yeah, stick the lit end in your ear. You'll always make the association. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Of course that would work too.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Hypnotism....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Thunderbolt56/rotsnake.gif

Monterey13
05-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Chantix is supposed to work wonders. All of the times I've quit, I just threw them down.

I believe the only way I will ever stay quit is to stop drinking also, as they kind of go together.

I just don't see that happening.

mmitch10
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Change the routines you associate with cigarettes...if you drive to work and usually light one up, listen to a different radio station. Clean your teeth after each meal, you'll feel less like smoking after that. If you have a walk on your lunch hour, change your route.

I've gone for 6 weeks so far, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it isn't. I didn't bother with patches or gum though, that would just feel like I'm changing the way I'm taking the drug rather than giving it up.

Good luck!

SeaFireLIV
05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
When you really want to stop. you will. No need for silly gimmicks.

Bearcat99
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
When you really want to stop. you will. No need for silly gimmicks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iused the patch for @ 2 weeks... just to wean myself from the nicotine/cig connection.. afterthatist was just a matter of wanting to quit and stay a non smoker.

jadger
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
just get one of your friends to secretly put a little bit of gunpowder in one or two of your cigarettes, so that the saying "once bitten, twice shy" holds value

Phobia337
05-05-2008, 01:59 PM
It is hard. I am a recent quiter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Quiting smoking cigs was hard for one reason. When I pour me a drink my mind naturally says light up a joe.

gurypuddle
05-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I tried to quit many times. The longest I went was almost 2 years. Then I would pick back up and be back to my pack a day.

Just over 6 months ago I suffered a massive heart attack at the age of 42. I was very lucky to have survived. I now have a couple of stents in my arteries to keep things flowing.

After I was released from the hospital I entered into a cardiac rehab program. The things I learned about smoking and how it affects your heart and viens was surprising to say the least. I always figured lung cancer was the big danger. Although it is a big risk, the damage done to your cardiovascular system is much more likley to cause you problems.

I was prescribed Chantix and would recomend it to anyone that is seriously considering quiting. I had done the patch and lozenges with no results. The Chantix worked very well for me as far as curving the cravings. Of course I also have the experience of having a near fatal heart attack to keep me motivated to not smoke.

I know how very hard it can be to quit. I can only encourage you to do it with hopes you will before you have some very real health problems.

GP

SeaFireLIV
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gurypuddle:
I tried to quit many times. The longest I went was almost 2 years. Then I would pick back up and be back to my pack a day.

Just over 6 months ago I suffered a massive heart attack at the age of 42. I was very lucky to have survived. I now have a couple of stents in my arteries to keep things flowing.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That`s early to have a heart attack. I`m sorry to hear that. just about a month ago one of my best friends had a mild heart attack and he`s just 41 as well. He gave up smoking about 5 years ago - he just gave up. All the tablets and stuff did nothing until he just decided to stop. he was also a bit of a drinker too - he stopped that as well, all the aids were useless until he stopped himself.

His mild heart attack would surely have been worse had he not stopped earlier.

ploughman
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I found the gum to be very helpfu1, 13 years of smoking like it was going out of fashion and now I don't even think about it, down the pub, with other smokers, no worries. I spent about 6 weeks on the gum, made me fart like a herd of cattle though.

Choctaw111
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
My wife and sons want me to quit, cigars mind you. I have a pipe as well. The pipe tobaccos are really aromatic. I just enjoy it too much to quit and I figure I should be dead already anyhow. I know I should quit though...for them.

Feathered_IV
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
It's an expensive and humiliating death. Quit now before it's too late. Hardest thing I ever did, but damn glad I managed it.

leitmotiv
05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Could not add a word to the above, and I, too, am glad I quit (after 27 years of smoking and five years of gnawing on nicotine gum---the medicals aren't joking when they say nicotine is the hardest drug to renounce).

major_setback
05-06-2008, 02:59 AM
A friend had cancer. He survived. Many I know haven't. That was my motivation.

fabianfred
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I started smoking at 14 whilst doing the morning paper round.....ah...those Woodbines in the fresh early morning air....
went into the army at 15...up to a pack of 20 a day....then at 21 I changed to a pipe.....Flavour, Taste, Smell...it was nice...and more like a hobby than an addiction....even though people said that I was too young to smoke a pipe...I didn't care..
Retired from teh army at 40...came to thailand....sometimes enjoyed the Burmese cheroots....when i couldn't get my favourite Clan pipe tobacco...I would roll-my-own with Samson...using the little machines and rizla filters.....licorice paper makes a nice change

I just stopped one day....and have been without for about 12 years now.

I think that the commercially produced cigarettes are the most dangerous and addictive.....they put saltpeter in them (same as in gunpowder)...that's why they carry on burning in an ashtray when you aren't pulling on them.
Pipe tobacco is more pure, without chemicals....as are rolling and cigars...so i think they are easier to give up from..

My advice is to change to a pipe or rolling your own cigarettes...then you are on cleaner tobacco...then it is easier to stop from them

charlesbrooke
09-02-2008, 05:42 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">*CONTENT REMOVED - Advertising on these boards is NOT permitted*</span>

GregGal
09-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Set up a goal. Imagine something you would like to have...let's say..a joystick,and r/c airplane, whatever. Calculate how much money you spend on cigarettes, and in how much time you "smoke" the price of your goal.

I never even tasted a cigarette..ever. why?
1: it smells bad

2:my parents are doctors, so I've heard some "nice" stories about the consequences.

3: I calculated how much money I would spend on cigarettes, and I wondered how many nice things could I buy instead for that money

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps

Bremspropeller
09-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Stare at jugs instead:

http://www.beautyden.com/news/pics/big-breasts.jpg

DKoor
09-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Organize your life so that it suit your cigarettes "quitting"... for instance I haven't went out in pubs, coffee-shops etc. for a while when I quit.
Those are dangerous places to be when you are getting rid of that nasty habit.
Later on when you aren't thinking of smoking so much, you can go there.

And no, slowly stopping wont work... I tried it.
One day I just said no.

I haven't smoked for 8 years since that day.

buzzsaw1939
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:

btw by the threads i start you should know what kind of cigarretes im talking about </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I the only one that cought that? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

kleaneasy
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry all this is an old thread bumped by a spambot advertising.

As its been bumped though how did raaide get on with quiting anyone know??

Aaron_GT
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
These days many pubs (on both sides of the Atlantic) in a number of countries are non-smoking. If in northern climes perhaps the best idea is to start going to pubs in winter, and then you'll be forced to smoke outside in the freezing cold, and that'll put you off the nasty habit...

Luckily I never felt the urge to start smoking.

raaaid
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
im still trying to quit

but when tobacco companies add ammonium to cigarretes to make them more addictive its very difficult

im even consideing switch to rolling tobacco and wash the amonium out and let it dry

anyway im on my way i reduced from 25 ***s a day to 12

DrHerb
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
man*****......... JUST KIDDING! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I need to quit cigarettes too unfortunately. Cold turkey is the way to go as it involves pure willpower.

leitmotiv
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Try the nicotine gum. I quit cold turkey in 1993 and went through agony for months---constantly thought of cigs, had stomach cramps, and the whole bit. One night I was out with a date and a sprinkler kept hitting the window behind her in the restaurant making a spray which looked like a big cloud of smoke. Just this set off my craving! I resumed smoking after about three months. I quit again in '97 using the gum and it did the trick---though I was using the gum until 2002! I will suck up second hand smoke whenever I can. I miss nicotine.

falling-bird
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I woke up one morning after 16 years hard, deliberate smoking and decided not to have a cigarette till I got to work. Once I was there I decided to postpone it till my tea break. Had my tea and left it till lunchtime. Had lunch with no cigarette. Quite stimulating, and I liked the buzz. Finally at 9pm I thought ˜Well, I've done quite well, I'll just have a quick puff as a reward'. I've rarely felt so stupid. That was 14 years ago and the last cigarette I had.

Followed the same postponement strategy the next day and didn't tell anyone. I deliberately had tobacco in the house, and could have cadged tobacco off anyone around anyway, but when I was desperate in the first few weeks, with itchy teeth, I just postponed a smoke by telling myself that I could have one later if I was still desperate.

Certainly in the early days and weeks it was hard, but I'd flicked a switch in my head, and what worked for me was just telling myself that ˜at the moment I am not smoking'.

Finally came out to my mates and colleagues six weeks later, none of the b*ggers had noticed I wasn't smoking, and gave my (now dried-up) tobacco away to someone who was sadly desperate.

I'm still a nicotine addict - a couple of times a year I yearn, for about 30 seconds, for a slim panatella – it's just that I don't smoke.

Good luck stopping...

tagTaken2
09-03-2008, 02:36 AM
About 3 months ago I had a lung cancer scare, turned out to be a false diagnosis, but when you spend three whole days thinking that your time is up... I still get a very occasional urge for nicotine, but I just can't put another cigarette in my mouth.

ARCHIE_CALVERT
09-03-2008, 05:17 AM
tagTaken2, I feel the same too, when you get a big enough scare theres no problem in stopping... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I smoked for 20 odd years, but one day my right foot felt really cold, although it was a swelltering hot summers day... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I knew then what was causing it and threw my ***s straight in the nearest bin.
That was 5 years ago now and have just had a bypass to save my lower right leg and foot. I still have serious problems ahead due to smoking - Giving up was easy, what would you have choose, smoking or losing your leg... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Shame I had'nt had the scence to not start in the first place...

Archie

Blood_Splat
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm glad I never got into smoking. I've been around people that sound like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ZLqh79BKU

SeaFireLIV
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blood_Splat:
I'm glad I never got into smoking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. My schoolfriends used to offer me, but I couldn`t see the point and my later m8s all smoked. I took up pipe smoking for a month until my then new girlfriend made me decide to give up.

Did lots of passive smoking though, unknowingly.

Breeze147
09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Every time you want a smoke, attach two tether balls to your forehead with a hilti gun and spin them in opposite directions. This will not only discourage you from smoking, it will give you a first hand look at how tether balls relate to momentum and the pull of gravity.

DKoor
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
Every time you want a smoke, attach two tether balls to your forehead with a hilti gun and spin them in opposite directions. This will not only discourage you from smoking, it will give you a first hand look at how tether balls relate to momentum and the pull of gravity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

M2morris
09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
The bremspropeller plan looks like a good idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I was a smoker for about ten years and just quit one day. Got tired of it. I sarted running alot. My friends thought I lost my mind. But I fealt alot better, my life changed after I quit smoking.

Now, I'm gonna go back to bremspropeller's post for another look.

kleaneasy
09-04-2008, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
im still trying to quit

but when tobacco companies add ammonium to cigarretes to make them more addictive its very difficult

im even consideing switch to rolling tobacco and wash the amonium out and let it dry

anyway im on my way i reduced from 25 ***s a day to 12 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That alone is a huge deal so be proud http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Giving up is possibly the most difficult thing I've ever done, I had given up on previous occasions for varying periods from days to a year but eventually gave up ˜proper' almost 2 years ago now and can honestly say I don't miss it at all.
You will do it, it can just take time to get there completely

turnipkiller
09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
A few years ago I was very ill with the flu, so sick I didn't leave my bed for 2 days (except to the bathroom lol).
When I was heading off to work after feeling better, I spotted my cigarettes on the seat of the truck. I realized that I didn't really want one, but just to be safe, I kept them in my coat pocket.
I carried them with me for a few months, never actually smoking them, but I would still get the "Oh crap where are my smokes??" feeling if I didn't have them. I ended up quitting for a year, unfortunately I've fallen back into the habit.
I blame my own lack of control, but I did try to do the things normally associated with smoking, like drinking at the bar etc. If you can find a way not to do those things you may have better success. Good luck m8. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif