PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ronnie Barker - Tribute and light relief

panther3485
05-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi guys! It's barely 7 months since the passing away of one of my favourite British comedians. Who can forget the Two Ronnies, Porridge and Open All Hours?

As both a tribute to this great and brilliant entertainer - and as light comic relief - I thought I'd enclose an extract from one of Ronnie's BBC TV performances. Some of you may have seen this already but IMHO, it's clever and very funny. Without further ado:

Bucking Frilliant: In memory of a great man
Ronnie Barker - Genius. RIP Ronnie

This was originally shown on BBC TV back in the seventies. Ronnie Barker could say all this without a s****** (though God knows how many takes). The irony is that the BBC received not one complaint. The speed of delivery must have been too much for the whining herds. Try getting through it without converting the spoonerisms (and not wetting your pants) as you read€¦

--------------------------------------------------------

This is the story of Rindercella and her sugly isters.

Rindercella and her sugly isters lived in a marge lansion.

Rindercella worked very hard frubbing scloors, emptying poss pits and
shivelling shot. At the end of the day, she was knucking fackered.

The sugly isters were right bugly astards. One was called Mary Hinge and the other was called Betty Swallocks; they were really forrible huckers; they had fetty sweet and fetty swannies. The sugly isters had tickets to go to the ball, but the cotten runts would not let Rindercella go.

Suddenly, there was a bucking fang and her gairy fodmother appeared.
Her name was Shairy Hithole and she was a light rucking fesbian. She turned a pumpkin and six mite wice into a hucking cuge farriage with six dandy ronkeys who had buge hollocks and dig bicks.

The gairy fodmother told Rindercella to be back by dimnight otherwise, there would be a cucking falamity.

At the ball, Rindercella was dancing with the prandsome hince when suddenly the clock struck twelve.
"Mist all chucking frighty!" said Rindercella and she ran out tripping barse over ollocks, so dropping her slass glipper.

The very next day the prandsome hince knocked on Rindercella's door and the sugly isters let him in. Suddenly, Betty Swallocks lifted her leg and let off a fig bart.
"Who fust jarted?" asked the prandsome hince.
"Blame that fugly ucker over there!!" said Mary Hinge.

When the stinking brown cloud had lifted, he tried the slass glipper on both the sugly isters without success and their feet stucking funk.

Betty Swallocks was ducking fisgusted and gave the prandsome hince a knack in the kickers. This was not difficult as he had bucking fuge halls and a hig bard on.

He tried the slass glipper on Rindercella and it fitted pucking ferfectly.

Rindercella and the prandsome hince were married. The prandsome hince lived his life in lucking fuxury and Rindercella lived hers with a follen swanny.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Best regards to all,
panther3485

panther3485
05-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi guys! It's barely 7 months since the passing away of one of my favourite British comedians. Who can forget the Two Ronnies, Porridge and Open All Hours?

As both a tribute to this great and brilliant entertainer - and as light comic relief - I thought I'd enclose an extract from one of Ronnie's BBC TV performances. Some of you may have seen this already but IMHO, it's clever and very funny. Without further ado:

Bucking Frilliant: In memory of a great man
Ronnie Barker - Genius. RIP Ronnie

This was originally shown on BBC TV back in the seventies. Ronnie Barker could say all this without a s****** (though God knows how many takes). The irony is that the BBC received not one complaint. The speed of delivery must have been too much for the whining herds. Try getting through it without converting the spoonerisms (and not wetting your pants) as you read€¦

--------------------------------------------------------

This is the story of Rindercella and her sugly isters.

Rindercella and her sugly isters lived in a marge lansion.

Rindercella worked very hard frubbing scloors, emptying poss pits and
shivelling shot. At the end of the day, she was knucking fackered.

The sugly isters were right bugly astards. One was called Mary Hinge and the other was called Betty Swallocks; they were really forrible huckers; they had fetty sweet and fetty swannies. The sugly isters had tickets to go to the ball, but the cotten runts would not let Rindercella go.

Suddenly, there was a bucking fang and her gairy fodmother appeared.
Her name was Shairy Hithole and she was a light rucking fesbian. She turned a pumpkin and six mite wice into a hucking cuge farriage with six dandy ronkeys who had buge hollocks and dig bicks.

The gairy fodmother told Rindercella to be back by dimnight otherwise, there would be a cucking falamity.

At the ball, Rindercella was dancing with the prandsome hince when suddenly the clock struck twelve.
"Mist all chucking frighty!" said Rindercella and she ran out tripping barse over ollocks, so dropping her slass glipper.

The very next day the prandsome hince knocked on Rindercella's door and the sugly isters let him in. Suddenly, Betty Swallocks lifted her leg and let off a fig bart.
"Who fust jarted?" asked the prandsome hince.
"Blame that fugly ucker over there!!" said Mary Hinge.

When the stinking brown cloud had lifted, he tried the slass glipper on both the sugly isters without success and their feet stucking funk.

Betty Swallocks was ducking fisgusted and gave the prandsome hince a knack in the kickers. This was not difficult as he had bucking fuge halls and a hig bard on.

He tried the slass glipper on Rindercella and it fitted pucking ferfectly.

Rindercella and the prandsome hince were married. The prandsome hince lived his life in lucking fuxury and Rindercella lived hers with a follen swanny.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Best regards to all,
panther3485

madsarmy
05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
A great man indeed. he has left us with some magical moments.

Four candles or fork handles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

major_setback
05-07-2006, 01:06 PM
A brilliant and very funny man.

VV_Holdenb
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
urkin genius. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fabianfred
05-08-2006, 03:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by madsarmy:
A great man indeed. he has left us with some magical moments.

Four candles or fork handles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd never seen that one before, but just got it through a torrent http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Low_Flyer_MkVb
05-08-2006, 06:09 AM
One of my favourite Ronnie Barker lines is ( he playing a political anylist) "Ballots and elections - not two words you'd want to use in a Chinese restaurant..."

major_setback
05-08-2006, 07:04 AM
"The perfect crime was committed last night, when thieves broke into Scotland Yard and stole all the toilets. Police say they have absolutely nothing to go on."

"We'll continue our investigation into the political beliefs of nudists. We've already noticed a definite swing to the left."

barzo
05-08-2006, 07:06 AM
"This was originally shown on BBC TV back in the seventies"

Rubbish!

Ronnie Barker was without doubt our greatest ever comic actor as a wordsmith few could hold a candle to him for both the ingeniousness of his ideas and brilliance of their execution.

There is absolutely no way he would stoop to something as purile as simply spoonerising swear words in an attempt to make us laugh at the outrageousness of it.

And claiming that this managed to get past the BBC who,at that time, were virtually under seige by Mary Whiteouse and her band of moral guardians is just ridiculous.

Remember Ronnie as the genius he was and not for this crappy attempt to use the great man's name to push someone's poor attempt at linguistic gymnastics.

Flying_Nutzo
05-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Nice. I remember The Case of the Phantom Rasberry Blower. Crikey, that was a few years ago. Funny stuff.

Well, it's good night from me and good night from him...

RIP Bister Marker.

major_setback
05-08-2006, 08:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barzo:

Rubbish!

Ronnie Barker was without doubt our greatest ever comic actor as a wordsmith few could hold a candle to him for both the ingeniousness of his ideas and brilliance of their execution.

There is absolutely no way he would stoop to something as purile as simply spoonerising swear words in an attempt to make us laugh at the outrageousness of it.

And claiming that this managed to get past the BBC who,at that time, were virtually under seige by Mary Whiteouse and her band of moral guardians is just ridiculous.

Remember Ronnie as the genius he was and not for this crappy attempt to use the great man's name to push someone's poor attempt at linguistic gymnastics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also stumbled across the same passage credited to Mr Barker:

http://www.huntingthesnark.net/?cat=9

Edit: and here attributed to some Archie Campbell:
http://www.matthewgoldman.com/spoon/rindercella_2.html

Actually, googling Rindercella and Ronnie Barker shows that there's a lot of online dispute as to the origin of the passage. That probably says a lot about the man.

panther3485
05-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Hello barzo,

Quote:

Rubbish!
Remember Ronnie as the genius he was and not for this crappy attempt to use the great man's name to push someone's poor attempt at linguistic gymnastics.

Ermmmm, ahem,... barzo (or should I say, bozo ), I do believe I remember watching this on TV myself at the time and I'm reasonably sure it was Ronnie Barker.

Of course, since you've already effectively called me a liar, I guess this means you will also naysay my above statement.

I'm not gonna bust my balls trying to find proof but if I ever do, or if anyone else on the forum ever does, I trust you will have the guts and decency to apologize, openly, right here on this forum!

Of course, to balance this fairly, I now undertake to apologize openly on this forum if you can prove he never said anything like this on TV.

And if you like, we'll make it even more interesting. Let's have a small sporting bet. PM me, and we'll exchange addresses. Whoever is proven wrong can send the equivalent of $50.00 US to the other! [Enough to buy a nice new PC game!]

Of course, you could back down and apologize immediately but perhaps you wouldn't have what it takes [honesty and intestinal fortitude, for a start] to do that, even if you were proven wrong.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

panther3485

Edit:
Note: Although there may be an issue of authorship/originality concerning this piece, I am still fairly sure it was Ronnie Barker I saw on TV saying it . I'll rest on that, and take my medicine if I'm proven wrong.
Your ball, barzo!

panther3485
05-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi there, major_setback

Thanks for providing those links. I notice that the Archie Campbell version is substantially different from the Ronnie Barker version, though you can see how one may have easily borrowed the idea from the other. Who knows, perhaps someone else even played with this idea before either of these two? (Pure speculation here, of course.)

Nevertheless, the version I posted rings strong bells of recollection in my mind and I'm reasonably sure I remember Ronnie Barker reading it off pretty much the way it is worded there.

Edit: Had I any serious doubts, I would never have posted in the first instance!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Thanks again for the help,
best regards,
panther3485

major_setback
05-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Also, remeber that RB did lots of stuff for radio, and some of that might have been more daring.
The BBC replayed one of his early radio shows a while back and lots of the sketches were familiar to me, they had been reworked for TV in the Two Ronnies show years after the original radio show (Ronnie on his own).
When I googled Rindercella I noticed that one of the links credited the story to an RB radio show (though there are lots of credits to the TV show too).
I would be very interested to find out if RB actually wrote this piece. I have a feeling that you could actually get away with quite a lot on the Beeb in the old days; as long as you didn't actually swear.

panther3485
05-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi again, major_setback

Yes, I remember well some of the comedies from the 60's and 70's and was adult enough (old enough, that is) to understand everything. They actually got away with quite a lot, provided it was done a certain way!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Best regards,
panther3485

barzo
05-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Panther384

Barzo (Bozo!) F**king brilliant wordplay, was that one of yours?!
I wish I was that clever....

Anyway to the point it's funny how this link suggests it was Ronnie Corbetts story

http://www.upsu.net/forums/v/message,13,117.htm

and funnier still that they have mysteriously quoted your passage

"This was originally shown on BBC TV back in the seventies. Ronnie Barker could say all this without a s****** (though God knows how many takes). The irony is that the BBC received not one complaint. The speed of delivery must have been too much for the whining herds. Try getting through it without converting the spoonerisms (and not wetting your pants) as you read€¦"

Or maybe you post on that forum too?

"I'm not gonna bust my balls trying to find proof..."

No, I'll bet your not! However as Ronnie B published a book containing everything he ever wrote script wise (And I just so happen to have a copy) I shall have a flip through and see if this groundbreaking work is in there.

It's bound to be isn't it?

As the Pistols made every front page with their outburst on the Bill Grundy show I find it hard to believe that Ronnie B would be allowed to get away with what is essentially the same thing.

Of course you remember watching it, I remember watching you watch it!

x6BL_Brando
05-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Personally I always saw Ronnie as a far more subtle performer than the passage quoted suggests. I've heard him and the little guy use spoonerisms with real humour - not something that sounds like it came out of a precocious schoolkid's exercise-book.

Still, it was the Seventies - but it still sounds like something that came out of a drunken bet at a stag party.

He also pushed the boundaries a bit with his wonderful stuttering storekeeper - but he was generally sparing & skilful with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe he was having a Derek & Clive moment. Peter Cook & Dudley Moore certainly set a benchmark around those times, hey? The mere mention of lobsters & Jayne Mansfield starts me grinning.

But it's a masterful recitation - from Rindercella to her final follen swanny and the seventy -odd varyingly obscene instances in between!*** I'm just surprised to hear that it slipped past the Beeb's censors. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: *** meaning that only someone with great skill could manage to say all that as written. Give it a try! Perhaps not in public while you practice.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

panther3485
05-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi there, x6BL_Brando

Yeah, it wasn't really what you'd generally call 'typical' Ronnie Barker and I remember being somewhat surprised - albeit uproariously amused - when he came out with it.

The impact of that, and its cleverness of course, is part of what made it so funny back then but what made it extra special was the sheer brilliance and masterful skill of Ronnie's delivery. I don't think I could recite it perfectly myself (scared I'd made at least one error) but as far as I remember, his rendition was perfect!

Best regards,
panther3485

panther3485
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Hello barzo, nice to hear from you.

It appears you may have misunderstood my position just a little.

Quote 1:
"Barzo (Bozo!) F**king brilliant wordplay, was that one of yours?!
I wish I was that clever...."

Whoa, steady! No need for cleverness yet - just a gentle taunt.

Quote 2:
"Anyway to the point it's funny how this link suggests it was Ronnie Corbetts story
http://www.upsu.net/forums/v/message,13,117.htm"

I checked that link. It says Ronnie Corbett in the heading but Ronnie Barker in the text! Looks like either:
(a) The two Ronnies shared material (nothing wrong with that, eh, since they were working together on the same show after all) or
(b) Somebody just made a mistake on that forum.
Why not check other links and cross-reference?

Quote 3:
"and funnier still that they have mysteriously quoted your passage"

No, they didn't quote me. It does seem that indirectly, I have finished up quoting them. My source was a work colleague who is as much a buff of 60's and 70's comedy (and music) as I am a buff of WW2 tanks. In other words, I trusted him as being on the straight and narrow with this and that he knows what he's talking about. He may well have either posted there (for all I know), or derived part of his information from there or any of the other links shown/mentioned by major_setback. I didn't give him the 'third degree'. I trusted him. That trust was reinforced by my personal memories of having watched virtually every episode of 'The Two Ronnies' on TV. I do remember it.

Quote 4:
"Or maybe you post on that forum too?"

Now you're getting really tiresome. I've never even seen that forum before or been aware of its existence until now, much less posted on it. But I guess if you think I'm a liar, you don't believe that either, right?

Quote 5:
"I'm not gonna bust my balls trying to find proof..."

No, I'll bet your not! However as Ronnie B published a book containing everything he ever wrote script wise (And I just so happen to have a copy) I shall have a flip through and see if this groundbreaking work is in there.
It's bound to be isn't it?

You can't even read my posts properly, so how 'clever' is that?

Read again, bozo!

I have already acknowledged , by way of edit (made within a couple of minutes of posting that second message), that there is some question as to the original authorship of the piece. But I stand by my statement that Ronnie Barker read it out on TV. Obviously, if RB was merely reading out what someone else wrote, we couldn't reasonably expect it to be in a book covering 'everything he ever wrote script wise'. I'm not sure if this would apply to a piece he re-wrote or adapted, if he was not the original author. Either way, the book may or may not prove my case but it could never prove yours because I'm only insisting that he said it, not that he wrote it!

Quote 6:
"As the Pistols made every front page with their outburst on the Bill Grundy show I find it hard to believe that Ronnie B would be allowed to get away with what is essentially the same thing."

Essentially the same thing? You must think that sh*t and clay are the same thing because they're both brown.

As for your last comment, it appears you wish to continue to call me a liar. Definitely not clever.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

panther3485

Edit:
Note: Have just checked my original post again. Nowhere is it claimed that Ronnie Barker was the author (though, for all I know, he could have been); only that it was "...an extract from one of Ronnie's BBC TV performances." (my intro).
Also, in the article itself, there is no claim to authorship - only the comment about the quality of his delivery - which, in my view, was what really made it work so well!

major_setback
05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
From the 2 Ronnies:

"Corbett: The next sketch takes place in a ball-bearing factory. I play a man who loses his bearings...

Barker: And a man who loses his way.

And from Porridge:

The sketch where he goes for a medical:

Doctor: Any history of the following complaints....

Fletch: No, Doc just these bad feet...

Doctor: ...diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma...

Fletch: ...just these bad feet, they're killing me....

Doctor: migraine, back problems...

Fletch: ..these feet...

Doctor: any history of homosexuality?

Fletch: What, with these feet?...

(pause for laughter to die down, perfectly timed....)

....who'd 'ave me?"

Aaron_GT
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Edit: and here attributed to some Archie Campbell: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barker often contributed work to shows under a pseudonym, so it is not impossible that Archie Campbell could be Ronnie Barker.

barzo
05-08-2006, 02:07 PM
panther3485
Just type Ronnie Barker Rindercella into google and check out how many times people are posting the same verbatim text on multiple forums.

You'll also note that other folk have equal doubt as to both Ronnie's authorship and the BBC's allowance of such obvious filth to pass under their noses.

We are talking about the seventies here,three channels only and much more stringent censorship than we have today.
Even Galton and Simpson had to bargain with the Beeb to get a fair smattering of Bleedin's into Steptoe and Son's dialogue.

Are you seriously telling me you believe this was allowed on pre watershed prime time tv?

Nor did he say it on any "late night" outing either, filth just wasn't his style,cheekiness,sauciness and out and out suggestiveness yes but muck no.

Now stop talking such clay.

P.S checked that book,didn't find it oddly!

Aaron_GT
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you, Barzo.

barzo
05-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks Aaron_GT.

dazza9806482
05-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Its all getting a bit heated, but for what its worth i watched a Ronnie Barker Tribute thingy on BBC1 a while ago and I'm nearly 90% certain Ronnie Barker read out the text posted.

the thing is when its written down its undenibaly obscene and looks a bit crass for Ronnie, but delivered verbally in his true indomitable style it simply sounds funny and almost rude.

its well known Ronnie used a lot of aliases but i am almost certain i watched him read that out rapidly and with complete control

who else could do it?

dazza9806482
05-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Actually scrub that, I was just doing a bit of digging and someone suggested that Ronnie did a an original sketch, but that this version is significantly altered and bits added. especially some of the more rude stuff

cant be bothered referencing this, but that would make sense to me

panther3485
05-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Hello again, barzo

Quote 1:
"Just type Ronnie Barker Rindercella into google and check out how many times people are posting the same verbatim text on multiple forums."

Though I have yet to check for myself, I've already got enough of an impression - from comments here - of what's out there on the net and I'll take your word for it.

Quote 2:
"You'll also note that other folk have equal doubt as to both Ronnie's authorship and the BBC's allowance of such obvious filth to pass under their noses."

I was already aware of the doubts regarding authorship. I am now also becoming aware of some people's doubts as to what was said on air.

Quote 3:
"We are talking about the seventies here, three channels only and much more stringent censorship than we have today.
Even Galton and Simpson had to bargain with the Beeb to get a fair smattering of Bleedin's into Steptoe and Son's dialogue.

Agreed, censorship was considerably more stringent in the 70's than it is today. But more was gotten away with than some people might imagine - you just had to be more careful how you did it. Changing 'swearwords' in such a way that they were no longer swearwords was one of those ways that I do remember being used sometimes (speaking generally here, not necessarily RB). For this reason alone, comparison with any 'direct' wording, such as the example you quoted from Steptoe & Son, is obviously invalid.

Quote 4:
"Are you seriously telling me you believe this was allowed on pre watershed prime time tv?"

Yes. Otherwise, why would I have posted thus?
I've been trying to find reasons not to believe it (including dismissing my own recollections - though it was quite a long time ago. More on that below.)

Quote 5:
"Nor did he say it on any "late night" outing either, filth just wasn't his style,cheekiness,sauciness and out and out suggestiveness yes but muck no."

I agree that the quoted passage is, shall we say, somewhat more 'daring' than one would normally have expected to hear from Ronnie Barker! I just don't share your apparent certainty that it couldn't have happened. I'm still convinced it (or something very like it - later written quotes usually aren't verbatim perfect) did happen.

Quote 6:
"Now stop talking such clay.
P.S checked that book, didn't find it oddly!

(1) I've already addressed the question of 'the book'. Read my previous post properly . Once again, I'm not making any claims about what the man wrote! I've merely supported the proposition that this quote, or something very similar to it, is what was said by him on TV.

(2) As for 'talking clay', PROOF PLEASE!

(3) To enlarge on the subject of my memory:
The article was E-mailed to me by a work colleague, several months ago. When I read it, beside nearly wetting myself laughing, there was immediate stimulation of memory (that 'I remember this' feeling).

Of course, since it was best part of three decades since I must have heard it, I could never have claimed to remember with any precision the specific words that were used.

However, what I do distinctly and clearly remember thinking at the time, was how outrageously daring it was and my immediate sense that it was 'over the top' for that show, coupled with amazement that it wasn't censored. [One might almost have called it 'shock'.]

Reading that E-mail simply re-stimulated those feelings and instantly 'zapped me back' 30 years. The sensation was quite intense.

So, could I swear to its accuracy on the bible? No, but I felt reasonably certain of the authenticity (or, perhaps, the approximate authenticity) of that quote. If you'd forced me to put a figure on it, I would have said I was about 90 percent certain, at least.

But, having said all of this, I shall remain true to my word:

If it is proven that this (or something substantially like it in content and level of daring) was never uttered by Ronnie Barker on TV, then I shall openly apologize on this forum and retract my previous statements.

I'll do this not just as a point of honour among ourselves, but more importantly as a mark of respect for one of my favourite comedians, who deserves to be remembered correctly.

The difficulty, as I see it (and the reason for not wanting to 'bust my balls to find proof'), is that I suspect it might turn out to be a tedious process. One might well need the following to finally prove or disprove the proposition:

Either -

(a) Access to the complete scripts of all the Television shows in question, that might have contained such material; and scan them all.
or
(b) Access to full recordings of all said TV shows; and check them all.
or
(c) Full unabridged DVD sets of all Ronnie Barker's TV performances that might contain such material, to watch end-to-end, but in the comfort of home! [I prefer that one but it would still take a long time.]

Unless someone here has a quicker solution that would be satisfactory to all concerned?

In the meantime, though I take your points on board, I must respectfully disagree to the extent stated above and stand by the original post.

Best regards,
panther3485

panther3485
05-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi there, dazza9806482

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I share a similar level of certainty to your 'nearly 90%' but also take the point that somebody may have 'enhanced' it later!

Guess what we need to do, if possible, is to check out the recording and settle this once and for all. My hunch is, our recollections may be a little off the mark, but I don't think they'd be way off by any means.

But... if I'm proved substantially wrong, I'll take the nasty tasting medicine!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks and best regards,
panther3485

barzo
05-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Good day to you panther3485,
As long as we both agree Ronnie B was a genius the rest is mere detail as far as I can see.

I've certainly no interest in boring the forum any further,folks can decide for themselves.

Regards,
Barzo

hotspace
05-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Watch this to find out why Ronnie Barker was god http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ&search=the%20two%20ronnies

panther3485
05-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi barzo

Yes, I guess you're right that it really comes down to detail, more or less, provided we agree on Ronnie Barker's genius, which we obviously do!

So, as long as everyone else is happy with that, fine with me as far as this forum goes.

Of course, had I thought that this particular quote would prove to be in any way contentious, I would most certainly have chosen another and surely, there can be no dearth of excellent material to choose from!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

As for myself, I've become motivated to do some further checking (at my leisure, of course). If I find anything of significant interest soon (whichever way it falls), I'll post it for any folk that might still be interested.

Best regards,
panther3485

[P.S. Apologies for calling you 'bozo' - I guess I just got a bit narked that you seemed to be portraying me as dishonest.]

panther3485
05-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi HotSpace,

Thanks for that! Watched it and laughed, just as much as I did 30 years ago... great stuff. Those two (Barker and Corbett) were sheer brilliance together!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Along with a few others that come to mind (from what I'd call IMHO 'the golden age of British comedy'), it seems doubtful to me that we'll ever see quite their like or calibre again.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

But who knows, I may be surprised some day!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Best regards,
panther3485

hotspace
05-09-2006, 07:56 AM

You should look around on that site m8 (youtube.com). It's got anything you can think of.......well anything I could think of anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

panther3485
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Hi HotSpace,

Thanks for the hint - I think I'll check it out!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
panther3485

major_setback
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barzo:
Good day to you panther3485,
As long as we both agree Ronnie B was a genius the rest is mere detail as far as I can see.

Regards,
Barzo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

hotspace
05-09-2006, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panther3485:
Hi HotSpace,

Thanks for the hint - I think I'll check it out!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
panther3485 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

major_setback
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I have to say, I love the man. Here's Ronnie Corbet's eulogy to him, from the service at Westminster Abbey, March 4th 2006:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2068449,00.html

Waldo.Pepper
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
A ship carrying a consignment of green paint and a ship carrying a load of red paint have collided in the channel tonight.

Its feared that the crews have become marooned. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BBloke
05-09-2006, 02:36 PM
He was an ansolute genius and the Fork Handles sketch is one of my favourites.

The story is something I could believe he would do and I think less attention would be paid to what is being said and more attention to how its being delivered!!

Just my two pennies. New money of course!