PDA

View Full Version : the great long range visivility obtained in 3.01 is ruined in 3.02b

raaaid
11-27-2004, 08:51 AM
now i heard people complaining theres nobody in a 30 person server, youll only see planes when you get to a range of 2 km or less and only found enemy planes when aa shoting at them

they got it perfect and now they change it hell

planes also becomes invisible in the transition from being a spot to have wings

i also see at 500 m a plane disappering the wings. It reminded me of cfs

Maple_Tiger
11-27-2004, 09:35 AM
You do realize that 3.02bm is a beta patch? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

panthercules
11-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I guess they should really make this dot/range thing a setting in conf.ini - I had exactly the opposite reaction when flying the new 3.02bm patch last night - I really liked the new ranged aircraft visibility way better than the square black dots in 3.01. Then again, I was playing offline - maybe it's an online/offline sort of thing, or just pure personal preference.

TAGERT.
11-27-2004, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raaaid:
now i heard people complaining theres nobody in a 30 person server, youll only see planes when you get to a range of 2 km or less and only found enemy planes when aa shoting at them

i also see at 500 m a plane disappering the wings. It reminded me of cfs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On that note.. Last night I noticed that the DOT for the frindly planes was much eazier to see than the enmy planes DOT at the same distance.. I know the distance was nearly the same because I saw a frindly DOT (icons were on) and I noticed him turinng as if in a DF.. Then he started shooting.. But.. as far as I could 'see' nothing was there except the friendly plane.. As I got closer all of a sudden the other enmy DOT popped into view.. But.. it still was not as dark and easy to see as the friendly DOT.. it was much lighter and harder to see.. I have also noticed that DOT -> WING (different LOD) problem.. but I saw that in 3.01 too. But, I agree in 3.02 soemthing is different.. I hope that what ever they do them make enemy and friendly DOTS the same.

Diablo310th
11-27-2004, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raaaid:

i also see at 500 m a plane disappering the wings. It reminded me of cfs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On that note.. Last night I noticed that the DOT for the frindly planes was much eazier to see than the enmy planes DOT at the same distance.. I know the distance was nearly the same because I saw a frindly DOT (icons were on) and I noticed him turinng as if in a DF.. Then he started shooting.. But.. as far as I could 'see' nothing was there except the friendly plane.. As I got closer all of a sudden the other enmy DOT popped into view.. But.. it still was not as dark and easy to see as the friendly DOT.. it was much lighter and harder to see.. I have also noticed that DOT -> WING (different LOD) problem.. but I saw that in 3.01 too. But, I agree in 3.02 soemthing is different.. I hope that what ever they do them make enemy and friendly DOTS the same. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tagert..I noticed the same things. I thought maybe it was my video settings. Did you report this to Oleg?

TAGERT.
11-27-2004, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diablo310th:
Tagert..I noticed the same things. I thought maybe it was my video settings. Did you report this to Oleg? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, not yet.. We should.. Do you want to send him an email? If not, let me know Ill send one off.

Stiglr
11-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Omigod, TAGERT and I agree on something?? *swoon*

This idea that enemy dots should be harder to see than friendly is SO misguided. If the planes are the same general size, they should have the same general visibility at "dot range".

Stealth and (in)visibility are not created by gaming options, they're created by tactics, and by pilots' failure to keep their head on a swivel.

TAGERT.
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Omigod, TAGERT and I agree on something?? *swoon*

This idea that enemy dots should be harder to see than friendly is SO misguided. If the planes are the same general size, they should have the same general visibility at "dot range".

Stealth and (in)visibility are not created by gaming options, they're created by tactics, and by pilots' failure to keep their head on a swivel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now look at what you have done
http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/images/hell_freeze.jpg

Tully__
11-27-2004, 06:44 PM
@raaaid: I can see dots out to about 8km and wings are visible out to about 4km.

@panthercules: Look in the manual how to use the mp_dotrange console command, or check out icons, how to (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ_Pilots.htm#006%20How%20do%20I%20customise%20ic ons) and icons, automated (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=114;t=001551)

AJM-2K4
11-27-2004, 06:46 PM
<my 2 cents> I like the visibility in the beta patch. </my 2 cents>

LEXX_Luthor
11-27-2004, 07:17 PM
TAGERT...Try mission where enemy and friendly have the same aircraft type.

What you may have seen was different aircraft having different dot sizes at the same range even if they are the same size aircraft.

Ki~61 turns to dot at 1.25 kilometers -- very short and it vanishes in a dogfight very quickly.

Much Whinnage about Bf~109 turning to dot at much greater range than Soviet aircraft. Last I looked FP 3.0, the I~16 turns to dot at about 1.5km while Bf~109 turns to dot at about 3km--and Ki~61 turns to dot at 1.25km

Thus we prove no relation between Bf~109 and Ki~61. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shot2Pieces
11-27-2004, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
@raaaid: I can see dots out to about 8km and wings are visible out to about 4km.

@panthercules: Look in the manual how to use the mp_dotrange console command, or check out http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ_Pilots.htm#006%20How%20do%20I%20customise%20ic ons and http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=114;t=001551 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mp_dotrange in 3.02 only shows dots at half its specified value, ie mp_dotrange DOT 14 makes dots visible at 7km; DOT 24 gives a 12km visible dot. Try it, something is weird.

LEXX_Luthor
11-28-2004, 04:44 AM
The problem is 3.02 mp_dotrange is not working well with the 3.02 dots. If you increase dotrange to the maximum 25km so you can sometimes spot something against ground, it ruins the long range dot fade--the dots remain the same out to long ranges meaning you can see too far against the sky and its bad to judge range with. Patch 3.01 fixed this with mutliple pixels for dots, but the dots grew smaller with distance just like real life, and once they grew smaller to 1-pixel size, they fade with distance. However, the 3.01 dotrange was too high, so many saw the big dots out to long range...not very realisitic. If they went with 3.01 dots with lower Default dotrange all would be happy...even if they don't know what dotrange is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sockeye45
11-28-2004, 04:54 AM
Personally, I like the new dots with 3.02b. For me, its easier for me to tell how far away someone is, and can tell if they're closing or not. Seemed with 3.01 that those dots stayed the same size, and all of a sudden, the guy was right upon ya. But that's my .02 dollars

Athosd
11-28-2004, 06:09 AM
In QMB the dot range/visibility in 3.02 beta looks good to me as well. Dots tend to be visible at ~9km and the gradual appearance of the wings is a better touch than morphing the dot into a blob then into a plane.

Haven't tried it online yet - however the host's parameter settings for friend and foe mp dotrange would hardly seem to be a problem for Oleg. Unless as pointed out by Lexx_Luthor the parameters aren't functioning correctly for the new dots.

Extreme_One
11-28-2004, 07:10 AM
I really like the new dots in 3.02b

just wanted to say...

raaaid
11-28-2004, 09:13 AM
the new dots are great i agree the problem is i cant find any online ive just been flying for half an hour in western front (30 persons in a small map) and couldnt find anyone and for most people is the same so there must be some bug and the dot range is divided by half because certainly im not seeing dots at 15km as specified by the server

steve_v
11-28-2004, 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extreme_One:
I really like the new dots in 3.02b

just wanted to say... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

A.K.Davis
11-28-2004, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
The problem is 3.02 mp_dotrange is not working well with the 3.02 dots. If you increase dotrange to the maximum 25km so you can sometimes spot something against ground, it ruins the long range dot fade--the dots remain the same out to long ranges meaning you can see too far against the sky and its bad to judge range with. Patch 3.01 fixed this with mutliple pixels for dots, but the dots grew smaller with distance just like real life, and once they grew smaller to 1-pixel size, they fade with distance. However, the 3.01 dotrange was too high, so many saw the big dots out to long range...not very realisitic. If they went with 3.01 dots with lower Default dotrange all would be happy...even if they don't know what dotrange is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, my biggest problem with the 3.01 dots was that they gave me no sense of distance or closure rate. Seemed exactly the same at 5k as 10k. Running 1280x960.

A.K.Davis
11-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Regarding the functioning of mpdotrange now, I wonder if the "halving function" is dependent on resolution? I.e. a single pixel dot can be displayed for 1600x1200 at 20km, but only at 10km for 1024x768.

flatlander5
11-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I like the new beta dots much better.
In coop missions I was concerned about being spotted from 10km way by the enemy. The new dots are a big improvement.

My 2 cents.
~Flatlander

Snoop_Baron
11-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I was able to go from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 without putting myself at a large visiblity disadvantage in 3.01. Can I still do this in 3.02B?

LEXX_Luthor
11-28-2004, 05:34 PM
To get 3.01 big dots at close range that shrink to small 1-pixel dots at medium range, then fade out at longer range, lower the Default 3.01 dotrange. This fixes the range judging problem--3.01 Default dotrange was too large.

czech it out
~~> http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=1751051542

As 3.02 dots are all 1-pixel size for all ranges close and far, this won't work for 3.02 dots.

Diablo310th
11-28-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diablo310th:
Tagert..I noticed the same things. I thought maybe it was my video settings. Did you report this to Oleg? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, not yet.. We should.. Do you want to send him an email? If not, let me know Ill send one off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tagert....you can go ahead and send it that will be ok. You can add my name to referencing it too if you want. Thanks

AFJ_Locust
11-28-2004, 08:35 PM
I just hope they settle on something soon & leave it that way....

All this dot changing is almost as bad as flight models changing every patch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Now we have to deal with new dots every patch too ?

Argggggggggggggg

Forgive my impatients Not sure why they changed the dots if they werent gona keep them that way.

So are they now back to AEP dots or somewhere between AEP dots & 301 dots ?

raaaid
11-29-2004, 11:43 AM
the dots are much better because of the fade away eveybody agrees with that the problem is that its been changed the distance at which that dot is seen

the way is now has killed the game because now you simply cant find anyone

i really hope this is a bug and is fixed

in fact people say they like the apearance of the dots i dont think they say they like it not being dots there

CHDT
11-29-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the way is now has killed the game because now you simply cant find anyone <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great, what a realistic improvment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I hope we'll get some radar-equiped aircrafts soon!

Atomic_Marten
11-29-2004, 12:06 PM

i also see at 500 m a plane disappering the wings. It reminded me of cfs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On that note.. Last night I noticed that the DOT for the frindly planes was much eazier to see than the enmy planes DOT at the same distance.. I know the distance was nearly the same because I saw a frindly DOT (icons were on) and I noticed him turinng as if in a DF.. Then he started shooting.. But.. as far as I could 'see' nothing was there except the friendly plane.. As I got closer all of a sudden the other enmy DOT popped into view.. But.. it still was not as dark and easy to see as the friendly DOT.. it was much lighter and harder to see.. I have also noticed that DOT -> WING (different LOD) problem.. but I saw that in 3.01 too. But, I agree in 3.02 soemthing is different.. I hope that what ever they do them make enemy and friendly DOTS the same. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About enemy and friendly a/c dots visibility, situation here is the same. But take notice that I still fly on 2.04. So, nothing is changed in that regard.

pfffft
11-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Simulating a glint of sunlight off the aircraft when its at the right angle to the sun would be nice. Even if just off the canopy. I think it would be better than these dots, or lack thereof.

VMF-214_Pappy
11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
I just posted a poll on this disuss What Happened to Dots. Please check it out and vote and give your opinion

VMF-214_Pappy
11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maple_Tiger:
You do realize that 3.02bm is a beta patch? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maple Tiger you do relise that this beign a beta we may post bugs or what we think may be bugs too right. If we did not nothing would get fixed so back off a little and let them post there opinions