PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is the wind

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:49 PM
S!

If you set a thunderstorm in a mission and land. You have great difficulty (in fact near impossible) to turn around on the runway. Its almost as if the tail is being held pointing in the same direction by the wind.

But smoke stacks go straight up and it makes no difference which end of the runway your landing from, the landing speed is still the same.

Is there any wind in FB, if there is where does it come from and how does it affect things.

Confused.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:49 PM
S!

If you set a thunderstorm in a mission and land. You have great difficulty (in fact near impossible) to turn around on the runway. Its almost as if the tail is being held pointing in the same direction by the wind.

But smoke stacks go straight up and it makes no difference which end of the runway your landing from, the landing speed is still the same.

Is there any wind in FB, if there is where does it come from and how does it affect things.

Confused.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:02 PM
It comes from the bulletin boards, and affects the game in unpredictable ways.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:51 PM
'Tis entirely possible that the crash smoke visual sprite does not have physics hooks into the wind direction (although, obviously, it should).

I always thought the sprite should spread out instead of remain a pillar, and should dissipate and drift with the wind.

However, who knows what this'd do to fps.

All in all, I'd settle for shorter (not as tall) versions of the ones we have now.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Yep. The smoke looks good, but right from the start there`s an unreality about it. They all point straight up and not one waver. If making them waver ( as in a wind current) would be too much for processing and fps, then I would `ve lived with shorter smoke stacks. Still, I`ll not make my full analysis on the FB patch till around Tuesday.

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:22 PM
For what its worth, the wind did effect 'smoke' coming from engines and the like in FB1.0 (as it effected still props). But I think its fair to assume that this new smoke is a whole different animal, quite possibly uneffected by the wind.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:16 AM
good point buy should be in olegs room