PDA

View Full Version : The beginings of a campaign

AllorNothing117
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm making a none historic campaign. Doing alot of map editing atm

Here's the opening text for the intro/first mission.

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------

Fresh out of flight school some 4 years ago, Fydor Ivanov was immediately shipped off to a dead end placement in central Russia. He’d shown promise during training and had passed with distinction, why or how he had ended up flying pointless patrol after pointless patrol had always been a mystery to him. Besides being a waste of a perfectly good pilot, Fydor had his doubts that any German aircraft had the range to fly this far into Russia, certainly the most exiting thing he’d ever seen was a formation of Russian bombers landing on the characteristically short airstrip where he was stationed. Stricken with boredom, Fydor was forever imagining the adventures of his comrades from boot camp must be having at the eastern front, “at least they are doing something” he’d caught himself thinking on more than one occasion. And, every now and then, in between the endless fantasies of war and dog fighting the Huns, Ivanov would stop kidding himself and reflect on how lucky he really was to not be apart of this awful war. And so Fydor Ivanov continued to live out his peaceful existence, rolling his YAK around the skies weaving in and out of clouds as if chasing invisible messerschmitt or diving on the unsuspecting Hienkel.

Little did Fydor know, that all that was about to change. As war rages for the 4th year since its violent beginning, Russia needs all the pilots it can get and what had initially been a dream to Fydor was about to become a bitter, harsh reality.

Private Fydor Ivanov
Soviet Air force
Russia
November 12th 1944

You couldn’t quiet believe it as you climbed into the cockpit replaying the conversation you’d had just 10 minutes ago… “Is this for real?” you’d asked the flight sergeant. “You’d better believe it son,” he’d replied “what are you waiting for kid? Get going, don’t keep them waiting.” And that was it, you’d packed your things, headed to your plane and here you were. Fydor Ivanov, 2 years training for a war you’d never been within a hundred miles of and then 4 years at this dead end station, you never thought the day would come but here it was. It had started like many, staring off into the distance towards the horizon, wondering what was happening all those miles away as two nations clashed in the fires of war. Now you were actually going there, all the romantic stories of heroism and sacrifice were replaced by something a whole lot more sinister and the strong desire to survive. You strapped your self in and ran through all the pre flight checks hands shaking, still stinging from the bitter morning chill.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and get this kite off the ground.

AllorNothing117
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm making a none historic campaign. Doing alot of map editing atm

Here's the opening text for the intro/first mission.

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------

Fresh out of flight school some 4 years ago, Fydor Ivanov was immediately shipped off to a dead end placement in central Russia. He’d shown promise during training and had passed with distinction, why or how he had ended up flying pointless patrol after pointless patrol had always been a mystery to him. Besides being a waste of a perfectly good pilot, Fydor had his doubts that any German aircraft had the range to fly this far into Russia, certainly the most exiting thing he’d ever seen was a formation of Russian bombers landing on the characteristically short airstrip where he was stationed. Stricken with boredom, Fydor was forever imagining the adventures of his comrades from boot camp must be having at the eastern front, “at least they are doing something” he’d caught himself thinking on more than one occasion. And, every now and then, in between the endless fantasies of war and dog fighting the Huns, Ivanov would stop kidding himself and reflect on how lucky he really was to not be apart of this awful war. And so Fydor Ivanov continued to live out his peaceful existence, rolling his YAK around the skies weaving in and out of clouds as if chasing invisible messerschmitt or diving on the unsuspecting Hienkel.

Little did Fydor know, that all that was about to change. As war rages for the 4th year since its violent beginning, Russia needs all the pilots it can get and what had initially been a dream to Fydor was about to become a bitter, harsh reality.

Private Fydor Ivanov
Soviet Air force
Russia
November 12th 1944

You couldn’t quiet believe it as you climbed into the cockpit replaying the conversation you’d had just 10 minutes ago… “Is this for real?” you’d asked the flight sergeant. “You’d better believe it son,” he’d replied “what are you waiting for kid? Get going, don’t keep them waiting.” And that was it, you’d packed your things, headed to your plane and here you were. Fydor Ivanov, 2 years training for a war you’d never been within a hundred miles of and then 4 years at this dead end station, you never thought the day would come but here it was. It had started like many, staring off into the distance towards the horizon, wondering what was happening all those miles away as two nations clashed in the fires of war. Now you were actually going there, all the romantic stories of heroism and sacrifice were replaced by something a whole lot more sinister and the strong desire to survive. You strapped your self in and ran through all the pre flight checks hands shaking, still stinging from the bitter morning chill.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and get this kite off the ground.

na85
12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I dig it.

High quality campaigns for the Yakovlev series are always good to see.

Keep in mind though that mission design > briefing desing.

Which Yak will the player be flying?

Muddy17
12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Sounds good so far, looking forward to it ,,And by the way welcome back 117

Zeus-cat
12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
It sounds like the storyline from one of my campaigns. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Good luck with it. Can I recommend you get a beta tester or at least a briefing editor? You have some spelling errors there me boy.

b2spirita
12-05-2009, 05:29 AM
I really like the campaigns where the author attempts to write a story. Though as na85 said this is strictly briefing design, if the missions are of similar quality, you have the beginning of a very good campaign on your hands.

BillSwagger
12-05-2009, 07:36 AM
i can always appreciate a good story line to a game i'm playing.

Zeus-cat
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i can always appreciate a good story line to a game i'm playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think a good story matters to most people.

AllorNothing117
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Flying the YAK-3P

I love a good story! Don't really mind if other people don't. Not really doing this campaign for other people. I mean, if I finish iit then I'll put on the internet for people to play if they want but I doubt they will...

Here's a bit more of the story stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Private Fydor Ivanov
Soviet Air force
Russia
November 12h 1944

You arrived yesterday to the hustle and bustle of your new home for the foreseeable future. Having not known where to park your plane or where to report to, you’d picked what you hope was a suitable spot and then headed to the most important looking building, fighting your way through the hustling air crew and rugged looking pilots. Inside, no one seemed to be expecting you or know anything about you.
“Where you from kid?” someone had asked.
“I flew here from Letiscko tartry but I grew up in polyarnik.” you replied not really knowing which of the two answers he’d wanted hear.
“Well isn’t that lovely?” He replied before showing you to your dormitory and telling you to get some shut eye.
And that’s how you ended up here. It’s 6pm and you’re lying in bed trying to sleep. The other pilots all look exhausted. A few said hello but most simply walked right past you and went to bed. You overheard them complaining about their superiors and one or two boasting about how many Huns they’d shot down over the past week. Within an hour they’re all asleep and you’re lying wide awake. Lord only knows what tomorrow will bring. You shut your eyes and tried not to think.

Private Fydor Ivanov
Soviet Air force
Russia
November 13th 1994

“Scramble!”

You shoot up out of bed, sweating and panting. The nightmares lingered in your head as the sirens whined and red light filled the room. All the other pilots were out of bed and putting on their flight gear. You just sat there and stared, shocked and disorientated.
“GET UP BOOT!” Shouted the brute of a flight sergeant who had just charged into the room.
“UP! NOW!”
You hastily fell out of bed.
“THE GERMANS ARE COMING MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!”
You opened up your locker and started to put on your flighty gear, fumbling as your shacking hands struggled to do up the once familiar maze of buttons and buckles. The other pilots gave you dirty looks as you stood there half dressed shivering in the morning cold as you tried desperately to get dressed.
“YOU BETTER GET YOUR **** TOGETHER,” shouted the flight sergeant “DON’T BOTHER CRASH LANDING ON MY RUNWAY WHEN THE HUNS GET YOU!”
When you were finally ready, you ran outside and tried to remember where you’d parked your YAK. It wasn’t hard to spot, it was the only plane not on the runway or in the air. You ran to it, the aircrew had removed the chocks and were now running towards various bomb shelters. They ran right passed you glaring as they went. You thought overheard one of them moaning about not waiting out here to die to strap in some lazy pilot who couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed. You stumbled and clambered, hastily climbing onto the right wing and fumbled at the canopy release, slid back the cockpit and lowered yourself inside.

Amongst all the chaos there was something calming about closing the canopy and settling into the familiar cockpit. Once your hands were resting on the stick and throttle they stopped shacking. You could hear the enemy bombers overhead, but the engine soon drowned them out. Even the bitter morning cold was eased by the internal cockpit heating. This was the best you’d felt since you’d arrived. You took a deep breath and headed for the runway, no time to loose.

Zeus-cat
12-06-2009, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I love a good story! Don't really mind if other people don't. Not really doing this campaign for other people. I mean, if I finish iit then I'll put on the internet for people to play if they want but I doubt they will... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't criticizing your enthusiasm for writing a good story; I have a story in every campaign I have made. My point was that the vast majority of people that download your stuff will never mention it.

Your attitude that you are doing it for yourself is the only way to look at it. I have approached every one of my campaigns that way. If you do finish it I recommend you upload it somewhere to share it.

Good luck with it.

AllorNothing117
12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Zeus-Cat.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound defensive, your somment was totaly fair and I agree. Most of my mates skip the cut seens of every game they play. Hell, some of them even fast forward through "the boaring tlaky bits" of films. It's sad but it's true. I take solice in the fact that I get alot more out of a game because I enjoy the story as well as the other stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Go us! ^_^