PDA

View Full Version : Listing of Hollywood Car Stunt Movies that Inspired the Driver Series

InsaneDriver06
02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I just finished watching Vanishing Point from 1971 starring Barry Newman as Kowalski, a former race car driver/cop who is now a Driver on a mission, transporting a supercharged (160 mph top speed) white Dodge Challenger across Colorado into CA while the cops pursue. The stunts were okay, nothing spectacular from how it's hyped up, and the very ending wasn't too good IMO. Even so, the desert setting and roads would be perfect for the next Driver game.

The movie featured interior Dash views, helicopter views and the car looked perfect for a Driver game.
Still, any Driver fan can see the similarities to Driver/Tanner (ex racer, undercover cop, driver).

List the movies you can think of...

InsaneDriver06
02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I just finished watching Vanishing Point from 1971 starring Barry Newman as Kowalski, a former race car driver/cop who is now a Driver on a mission, transporting a supercharged (160 mph top speed) white Dodge Challenger across Colorado into CA while the cops pursue. The stunts were okay, nothing spectacular from how it's hyped up, and the very ending wasn't too good IMO. Even so, the desert setting and roads would be perfect for the next Driver game.

The movie featured interior Dash views, helicopter views and the car looked perfect for a Driver game.
Still, any Driver fan can see the similarities to Driver/Tanner (ex racer, undercover cop, driver).

List the movies you can think of...

FutureVenturer
02-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Have you seen Bullitt? What about The Driver? As far as I'm concerned, these two movies helped form Reflections' vision of the first Driver game, due to the storylines, the mood, the cities, and the cars, as well as the car chases. These movies were truly impressive (I've watched Bullitt, not The Driver, but have seen some footage of it on YouTube) that Reflections should learn even more from them. A big mistake that Reflections makes is looking at other movies which don't have a large focus on car chases. Either these two movies have some of a focus around it, or they are largely based around it. For a movie like Bullitt, while having a stronger focus on its story, would be deemed acceptable for its car chases (whose were the very first in any movies), as the introduction theme of the movie and the later, very famous car chase that is seen, both help make it worthy of a movie that shows how wonderful the car chase theme really is (thanks in part to Lalo Schifrin, a very talented musical composer who helped with all the songs in the movie, making the atmosphere feel very appreciated by any audience who watches the film).

Yet, I still wonder why we're making so many discussions on the car chases when it seems likely that the earlier two are enough. The one which I created called "car chases in mixed media could've been the right place to compare the car chases of movies to those of the Driver franchise as well as to discuss further on what more can be done to ensure that the car chases will bring a true next generation experience.

However, I do know why you made it and I think it's alright, actually. After all, we should first start off looking at what the Driver franchise was built heavily upon before moving on with more things within the car chase sub-genre--that is now part of both films and games.

InsaneDriver06
02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FutureVenturer:
Have you seen Bullitt? What about The Driver? As far as I'm concerned, these two movies helped form Reflections' vision of the first Driver game, due to the storylines, the mood, the cities, and the cars, as well as the car chases. These movies were truly impressive (I've watched Bullitt, not The Driver, but have seen some footage of it on YouTube) that Reflections should learn even more from them. A big mistake that Reflections makes is looking at other movies which don't have a large focus on car chases. Either these two movies have some of a focus around it, or they are largely based around it. For a movie like Bullitt, while having a stronger focus on its story, would be deemed acceptable for its car chases (whose were the very first in any movies), as the introduction theme of the movie and the later, very famous car chase that is seen, both help make it worthy of a movie that shows how wonderful the car chase theme really is (thanks in part to Lalo Schifrin, a very talented musical composer who helped with all the songs in the movie, making the atmosphere feel very appreciated by any audience who watches the film).

Yet, I still wonder why we're making so many discussions on the car chases when it seems likely that the earlier two are enough. The one which I created called "car chases in mixed media could've been the right place to compare the car chases of movies to those of the Driver franchise as well as to discuss further on what more can be done to ensure that the car chases will bring a true next generation experience.

However, I do know why you made it and I think it's alright, actually. After all, we should first start off looking at what the Driver franchise was built heavily upon before moving on with more things within the car chase sub-genre--that is now part of both films and games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, just a listing of movies that may have inspired Driver.

I still need to see a bunch of classic car chase movies, but also noticed some older TV shows had some great car chases set in the 70's. I'm not sure if I was watching Columbo or what it was, but the car chase was better than most movies, including the so-called "Car chase" from the new series "KnightRider", which looked more like a badly edited Car commercial for the new Mustang. There was a cut to another angle every time something was about to happen; not good IMO.

French Connection (won an oscar for best movie)

Bullit (haven't seen it yet) They have another modern movie called Bullit too, haven't seen.

Vanishing Point 1971(modern version as well)

The Driver: (haven't heard of it)

The Italian Job (Haven't seen the original, the remake was so so.)

FutureVenturer
02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Even though I believe narrative is not required for the next game, I do hope that Driver will have elements not only from real car chases, but also those from movies. Together, the elements of both worlds will create the best car chase experience ever.

InsaneDriver06
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Stunts from the movies IN the game, don't need a storyline, agreed.

OV3RS1GHT
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
What about the classic Canon Ball Run films with Bert Reynolds? Great stuff! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

InsaneDriver06
03-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah,

Cannonball Run
Blues Brothers