PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP2

paul5331
11-05-2004, 01:49 AM
After purchasing PF and installing on my new rig
Windows XP Pro Service pack 2 AMD FX53 1024mb dual channel ram 2x160GB in a 0 raid array ATI X800 pro 256mb using ati 4.10 drivers audigy2 zs sound card. I was dissapointed at the performnce i was getting compared to il2 aep on my old rig. after reading a lot of threads on performance etc and following some of the advice still no vast improvement. So i uninstalled service pack 2 and voila vast improvement all round can now run PF at perfect settings 1024x768 1280x1024 with acceptable frame rate. I also use a utility FSautostart which closes down all background programs within xp then a memory defrag utiliy Fast defrag Pro which gives me approx 860mb out of the 1024 available. As to the reasons why the improvement I dont Know but i'm back to SP1 and it works fine.

Nige_Reconman
11-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Windows SP2 introduces a whole heap of "security measures" that really limit some functions of your computer, great if you know how to reconfigure everything, not so great if you don't. I'm not having too many problems with SP 2 thankfully (or maybe i am and i'm not putting 2 and 2 together). Win XP SP2 also is causing heaps of problems with other games as well.

AWL_Spinner
11-05-2004, 03:45 AM
For the tecchies among us, an interesting look through the Service Pack 2 services can be found here http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm, including details of those which can be safely disabled. There are a few key ones that draw system resources.

Note I'm not *recommending* this for anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing and READS all the information on the site first. It's *very* easy to ruin your system playing with this sort of thing.

Cheers, Spinner

paul5331
11-05-2004, 03:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nige_Reconman:
Windows SP2 introduces a whole heap of "security measures" that really limit some functions of your computer, great if you know how to reconfigure everything, not so great if you don't. I'm not having too many problems with SP 2 thankfully (or maybe i am and i'm not putting 2 and 2 together). Win XP SP2 also is causing heaps of problems with other games as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ive checked a few threads on other flightsims Falcon4 Lomac people having problems with SP2 for my uninstall first unistalled PF+AEP+FB then just normal uninstall via control panel add remove programs removed SP2. System then configured back to SP1 then went to windows update for security updates for SP1. One thing it did do was revert back to Directx 9.0b updated to 9.0c then reloaded FB AEP patchs 2.01 2.04 then PF everything now running OK.

A word of WARNING it worked for me but Ive heard some disaster stories when people have removed SP2 and then not reconfigured their systems correctly check the technical threads at windows update prior to removal