PDA

View Full Version : Best way to look around (apart Track IR), share you thoughts

Joaoperru
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi there guys!
I'm currently playing a LAN campaign with a friend of mine on 2 PCs on the same desk.
I own a TRack IR4 system and a saitek x52 so everything is ok with my battlestation , but the poor lad just has a Sidewinder joystick.
He's learning to fly and fight, and obviosly without Track IR during the dogfights he usually loses any situational awareness.

So i'm asking you (since i dont want to buy another track ir just for him, and dont want him to buy one, cause he will probably use it just with me):
Which is the best solution not to lose the situational awareness? i.e. using mouse for looking around? mouse on left hand, joy in right? joy in left, mouse in right? padlocking? Using joystick top hat?

Please i would like you all to share with me your methods! Maybe there are some i didnt think about!

Thank you in advance! (and sorry for my english)

Joaoperru
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi there guys!
I'm currently playing a LAN campaign with a friend of mine on 2 PCs on the same desk.
I own a TRack IR4 system and a saitek x52 so everything is ok with my battlestation , but the poor lad just has a Sidewinder joystick.
He's learning to fly and fight, and obviosly without Track IR during the dogfights he usually loses any situational awareness.

So i'm asking you (since i dont want to buy another track ir just for him, and dont want him to buy one, cause he will probably use it just with me):
Which is the best solution not to lose the situational awareness? i.e. using mouse for looking around? mouse on left hand, joy in right? joy in left, mouse in right? padlocking? Using joystick top hat?

Please i would like you all to share with me your methods! Maybe there are some i didnt think about!

Thank you in advance! (and sorry for my english)

JtD
11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Externals on and padlock. Impossible to beat.

Other than that, I use the top head of the joystick, the only thing to fit the hotas concept, more hokas in this case, hands on keyboard and stick.

AndyJWest
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I've now got a setup that uses a Saitek 290 joystick and a Saitek Rumble Force gamepad, both fixed to a board that sits on my lap. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to set it up, but the gamepad is programmable, so I've got one of the analog sticks emulating the mouse. This way, I can look round without having to take either hand from the controls, though I can't move the throttle while panning the view - a minor problem really.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
If you dont own TIR, I highly recommend FB View Plus. Used it for years with great success before I purchased TIR4.

S!

pupo162
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
mosue on the right hand keybord on the left joystick on the box.... thats the wa i play and i do well: the mistakes i do and the dogfights i loose are to be blame on me and my noobish calls not on my setup. I rarely loose an enemy out of the center of my view and i rarelyy enter stall due to overinoput on the keybord.

(i play full real)

=XIII=Pupo

Sillius_Sodus
11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
FB View Plus is a very good program. Another solution would be to get a Saitek Joystick and map the hat switch to emulate the mouse using the SST software.

Joaoperru
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
What is this FB View plus? where can i get it? googling it had no luck....
is it shareware? What does it do?

horseback
11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Two Buttons:

Look Up and Look Down.

Assign them to buttons or keys easily reached with your left (non-hat) hand, and it will simplify your view problems immensely.

Used at the same time as the hat switch these will raise or lower your angle of view by 45 degrees. In the widest FOV setting, it gives you pretty much full coverage of your cockpit and the sky. I used it on my HOTAS setup for about three years before getting TIR, and it was pretty good once I got used to it.

cheers

horseback

stalkervision
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
nearest opponent view? Il-2 has it I believe. I use it in bob/wov all the time and it's a real hoot if you lose your enemy and need to see him. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

does need a bit of getting use to thou. It's like magic..

the magic really comes in when you maneuver your plane to keep the enemy aircraft in your center wind screen using this wonderful setting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

mortoma
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I have never had TIR, nor do I use externals and I have really great situational awareness in combat. I have just gotten so good at using the keyboard snap views that I almost never lose track of an enemy.

When I do, it's usually due to target getting blocked by cockpit frames where, due to coincidence, the enemy is lined up behind a frame even as both of our aircraft moved through the virtual air. This can happen with TIR too though. Sometimes an enemy just gets lucky and gets blocked by a canopy frame and "tracks' behind the frame as the fight ensues. Thankfully, this does not happen often.

Another situation where enemy can be lost is against the terrain background. This can happen with TIR too so I really have no disadvantage for not using TIR except my fingers are a lot busier.

UgoRipley
11-25-2009, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
...Another situation where enemy can be lost is against the terrain background... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One trick is changing (lowering) terrain details, trees, to make the bandit stand out more clearly.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this already, anyway, do you own a webcam?
There are some cheap solutions coupling a webcam + some reflectors on a hat + some free software...(like a TrackIR, in fact).

...Here it is: Name and links edited out, this product name may not be used on these forums.

stalkervision
11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UgoRipley:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
...Another situation where enemy can be lost is against the terrain background... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One trick is changing (lowering) terrain details, trees, to make the bandit stand out more clearly.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this already, anyway, do you own a webcam?
There are some cheap solutions coupling a webcam + some reflectors on a hat + some free software...(like a TrackIR, in fact).

...Here it is: Name and links edited out, this product name may not be used on these forums.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's actually a excellent idea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Stiletto-
11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UgoRipley:
One trick is changing (lowering) terrain details, trees, to make the bandit stand out more clearly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another trick is to roll back your video drivers to a not so stable or compatable version, where the ground textures are missing and appear as flat colors. Very easy to find bright green colored bandits flying close to the ground when they are above huge patches of black terrain.

M_Gunz
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Link to Cachya (http://www.cachya.com/)

Blindman-
11-25-2009, 02:08 PM
There is some good input on this subject on this old thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/4261048776 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4261048776)

UgoRipley
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
Another trick is to roll back your video drivers to a not so stable or compatable version, where the ground textures are missing and appear as flat colors. Very easy to find bright green colored bandits flying close to the ground when they are above huge patches of black terrain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hahahahahahahahahah

psykopatsak
11-25-2009, 03:31 PM
i play on a laptop, so i use either mouse and stick, or when im in a tight spot, touchpad + stick. really comfortable :P

Ba5tard5word
11-25-2009, 03:52 PM
My setup is a bit like Andy's, I have my right hand on my flight stick and my left hand on my Xbox 360 gamepad. Using xpadder I have its left analog stick set up to emulate the mouse, sort of like when you are looking around in a console fps game or whatever.

TrackIR sounds neat but it's very pricy and I haven't been playing Il-2 very much so it's hard for me to justify the expense. The gamepad analog workaround works fine for me, it's free, and I'm used to it because of all my experience playing Playstation 2 fps games.

italianofalco
11-25-2009, 05:11 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif google Name edited out, this product name may not be used on these forums.

Woke_Up_Dead
11-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I use a combination of mouse and joystick hat that pans like a mouse through "Joy to Key" (Google it). The mouse gives me more control and accuracy, but sometimes I have to let go to adjust the throttle, that's when my right thumb and the joystick hat take over for looking around.

Maeksevhin
11-25-2009, 11:15 PM
This is one of the few games that plays particularly well left handed: Joystick in my left hand, mouse in my right.

I put rudder controls on the left/right/center mouse buttons, as well as throttle on the mouse wheel. Keeps my hands relatively free form the keyboard during most of the flight.

Feathered_IV
11-26-2009, 04:19 AM
The mouse is by far the best alternative if you don't have track-ir.

I've been slightly different though in that I trained myself to use the mouse in the left hand while using the stick with my right. I bought a Logitech 510 mouse with a bunch of extra buttons and mapped them to the common inputs like throttle, trim, bombs and such. As I got better at tracking with my left hand (I'm naturally right handed) I'd up the mouse speed a bit and continue like that. Later as I adapted, I'd increase mouse speed again. Eventually I was at the point where I found I'd be moving my hand/mouse in perfect synch with my eyes. Very satisfying.

Then Leitmotiv convinced me to buy a Tir.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif