PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob please? PLEASE?? :)

GR-Nasaug
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi folks,

It's been a LONG time since I've played a flight sim (especially one as deep and of as high quality as this one seems to be so far).

Anyway, on to my questions (and please, if possible, try to provide answers in here, not links to some esoteric article that I won't understand!) :

1. I've got the hang, for the most part, of general flying but I'm having a hard time with stalls and spins - specifically, how do I avoid them and once they occur, how do I pull out of each of these flight dangers and correct them?

2. From within IL-2 1946 (I have the full DVD version, fresh install) I can't seem to find anyone online to play with. I click on Multiplay and it refuses to show any other servers at all. I don't have a firewall on that I'm aware of so I'm wondering where these 'ubisoft' servers are that I hear people mention from time to time.

3. Since that didn't work for me, I figured out how to use the Hyperlobby which got me into a game straight away but the moment the game fires up from Hyperlobby I get static from that point on in the sound. Frown Anyone have ANY idea what the deal is with that? If I'm playing single-player I have NO static at all so it's definitely something weird with Hyperlobby...I just don't know what.

4. Finally, I hear people talk about playing the game in higher resolutions and with AA on, but all that I'm offered is 1600x1200 and I see no option (not even in the SETUP.exe that you run pre-game) for Anti-Aliasing. Can someone clarify how I can get the game to run at higher resolutions so I can enjoy my new 24" Dell LCD? And where I can set the AA so I can get rid of some of the jaggies?

Thank you in advance for any and all answers, advice, or mocking derision of my noobness. Smile

GR-Nasaug
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi folks,

It's been a LONG time since I've played a flight sim (especially one as deep and of as high quality as this one seems to be so far).

Anyway, on to my questions (and please, if possible, try to provide answers in here, not links to some esoteric article that I won't understand!) :

1. I've got the hang, for the most part, of general flying but I'm having a hard time with stalls and spins - specifically, how do I avoid them and once they occur, how do I pull out of each of these flight dangers and correct them?

2. From within IL-2 1946 (I have the full DVD version, fresh install) I can't seem to find anyone online to play with. I click on Multiplay and it refuses to show any other servers at all. I don't have a firewall on that I'm aware of so I'm wondering where these 'ubisoft' servers are that I hear people mention from time to time.

3. Since that didn't work for me, I figured out how to use the Hyperlobby which got me into a game straight away but the moment the game fires up from Hyperlobby I get static from that point on in the sound. Frown Anyone have ANY idea what the deal is with that? If I'm playing single-player I have NO static at all so it's definitely something weird with Hyperlobby...I just don't know what.

4. Finally, I hear people talk about playing the game in higher resolutions and with AA on, but all that I'm offered is 1600x1200 and I see no option (not even in the SETUP.exe that you run pre-game) for Anti-Aliasing. Can someone clarify how I can get the game to run at higher resolutions so I can enjoy my new 24" Dell LCD? And where I can set the AA so I can get rid of some of the jaggies?

Thank you in advance for any and all answers, advice, or mocking derision of my noobness. Smile

RS.Wedge
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM

A. Make smooth pulls, pushes, and leans on your stick do not make too sharp of a turn or pitch the plane up too steep.

A. Point your il2fb.exe to the Forgotten Skies room in HL.

A. I have no idea. Maybe update your drivers?

A. Check www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) for the guide on the config.ini file. You will have to change some thing in that file to get higher resolutions.

Also, you can learn so much more with a good group of teammates online and on comms. The Rogue Saints IL2 Virtual Fighter Wing are recruiting all skill levels of pilots: from the beginner to the most experienced ace. We are seeking team minded dedicated individuals.

If you are looking for competetive play, using comms, teamwork, making new friends, or even combat flight training:

Come check us out, post in the "[RS] Welcoming Mat" forum, and fill out an application if interested .

www.rogue-saints.com (http://www.rogue-saints.com)

Regards,

[RS]Wedge

FrenziedAU
04-12-2007, 12:08 AM

A) The biggest key to avoiding stalls and spins is not to pull back too far. As to how far too far is - it varies, practice will help.
To recover, generally push forward, and apply rudder in the opposite direction of the spin. Depending on the direction, applying/cutting power can help.

A) To apply AA, you need to use the nvidia control panel (Or ATI control panel - I've never used an ATI card, so I'm guessing here), which you can get to by right-clicking on your desktop, tell it about the il2fb.exe file, and in the anti aliasing option, select one of the force on options (e.g. 2x, 4x).

Skycat_2
04-12-2007, 12:20 AM
1. My quick primer on avoiding stalls: Don't yank too hard on the stick. Get your speed up before trying to climb to cruising altitude. Level off when your speed bleeds to critical, and build up your steam before climbing some more; don't try to do it all at once. Don't try to turn too tightly, especially if you're flying at a low speed.
That said, it's very easy to stall when you're focusing all of your attention on getting a bandit into your crosshairs. What usually works for me to regain control is to first throttle down, and then point the plane's nose toward the ground. Let the plane build up some speed and become stable, then apply throttle and pull out of the dive. This technique won't work all of the time, especially if you're at too low of an altitude to recover, but it will save you often enough.

2. Multiplay used to have an option to connect to UbiSoft's server. That option isn't there in 1946, so I assume that you'll have to know the ip address to a private server if you want to play via the net. Hyperlobby is the best alternative.

3. I don't know what you mean by static. Remember that the quality of Hyperlobby may depend on the speed of your internet service. Single player doesn't require the internet.

4. You can type in your desired screen resolution in the conf.ini located in your game's main folder. You'll have to edit the line that is there already. I don't know how to set AA, but isn't that controlled through an interface with your vid card?

dieg777
04-12-2007, 09:08 AM
1)the tell tale signs for stall or spin is white streams from the wing tips - fly with low angle of attack and speed above stall speed.

2) most people play online via hyperlobby - you must be patches to the same as the server to play - 4.08 is the most popular.

select forgottenbattles in select game then pick a server- there are downloads and instructions at hyperlobby http://hyperfighter.sk/

3) I havnt heard about static but post dxdiag here for further help

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/system.htm#001

on how to do this

4) you can edit the config file to give you any desired resolution - see link under my sig to instructions on how to do this

your AA and other graphics are set up in windows using display properties -

if you have an nvidea card see here

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

ATI

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

check out the link to il2 at airwarfare ( old site ) - read th euser manual and the guides and these will help

good luck

Scharnhorst1943
04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
1. You may need to alter your joystick settings. The problem may be that your stick is just too sensitive. Go to airwarfare.com and look in the how to section. Or do a search for joystick sensitivity.

That may be one of your problems.

Scharnhorst1943
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
here is the link:

Airwarfare (http://airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm)