PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

yuyuyu1973
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I got this game recently, wanted to give it a go having heard good reviews in the past. However, the major problem I have with the game so far is the repetitive nature of the missions ("head for Norwegian Sea, take down any ships, go home"), but more importantly, the amount of time spent doing... nothing. Setting off from the German coast, you plot a course for your destination and can pretty much leave it on full speed for 10 or 15 minutes whilst you wait for something to turn up - if anything does. Unless you're really into your simulations and enjoy the sense of cabin fever, staring at the blank faces of your crew mates, I can't see how this is appealing. So, am I missing anything? The main thing would be some way of skipping the autopilot travel I'm currently just sitting through - an even faster full speed or something. As it is, I've been getting only a few minutes of action each hour(not bang bangs or anything - just a sense that something that actually requires my presence would be appreciated).

This game has a dedicated bunch of fans, and I'm left wondering why as much as anything, just now. I genuinely would like to know my experience is the same as yours and whether we just enjoy different things.

Thanks for reading.

yuyuyu1973
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I got this game recently, wanted to give it a go having heard good reviews in the past. However, the major problem I have with the game so far is the repetitive nature of the missions ("head for Norwegian Sea, take down any ships, go home"), but more importantly, the amount of time spent doing... nothing. Setting off from the German coast, you plot a course for your destination and can pretty much leave it on full speed for 10 or 15 minutes whilst you wait for something to turn up - if anything does. Unless you're really into your simulations and enjoy the sense of cabin fever, staring at the blank faces of your crew mates, I can't see how this is appealing. So, am I missing anything? The main thing would be some way of skipping the autopilot travel I'm currently just sitting through - an even faster full speed or something. As it is, I've been getting only a few minutes of action each hour(not bang bangs or anything - just a sense that something that actually requires my presence would be appreciated).

This game has a dedicated bunch of fans, and I'm left wondering why as much as anything, just now. I genuinely would like to know my experience is the same as yours and whether we just enjoy different things.

Thanks for reading.

hueywolf123
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Ok, firstly, welcome aboard.
Now on to business,this game is not for everyone.It is a full immersion type game, ie, you take the boring bits with the good bits. You can use the time compression to speed things along if you want.
I suggest you watch the movie Das Boot, this will give you an idea of a typical patrol mid war - long weeks of absolute boredom interrupted by moments of complete terror or the excitement of taking out a ship, then back to boredom again.
This forum has heaps of links to modifications for this game, available for download and heaps of us are available for tech help at times.
Like I said though, if you are after a point and shoot, this game is not it
good luck and good hunting

AtlantikEel
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM
As hueywolf123 says, if a point and shoot is what you're after yuyuyu1973, look elsewhere.

However ....
if you have a real sense of history, the patience to stick it out, and if you take the time to download some of the great mods available online (SH3 Commander and GWX are highly recommended) then you might come to appreciate what we are all so enthusiastic about.

I encourage you to stay on, and welcome aboard!

Kaiser_W
08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
If you want some excitement, convince a task force to depth charge you.

SH3 does rely on a lot of hurry up and wait, but it's a good time to read a book or watch a movie on a nearby TV or perhaps a laptop.

Ant__.
08-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the forum. It can take a while to get into certainly. May I suggest you take a look at the Screenshot Competition (Stickied threads at the top of each general forum page) - it should give you an idea of the game at it's best.

Whilst travelling to your destination, there are various routine tasks that you should do, crew rotation, torpedo reloading, diving to make regular sound check for other vessels (Sonar is more effective than the Mk. 1. Eyeball!)

Often in the forum people post "I was on high time compression and suddenly.... I just sank! How?" or words to that effect.

Well, they may have been 'jumped' by enemy flyers (an opportunity to man the Anti-Aircraft guns yourself for some target practise!) or hit a mine, or a sub net, collided with another vessel or even run out of fuel - dependent on your reality settings.

I'll never forget my first convoy and task force - having been used to single merchants or lone Destroyers to engage - you're faced with upwards of 20 enemy ships - that's when the tension starts and you have to really start thinking - are the right crew in the right compartments? which type of torpedo's shall I use? how to approach? which targets do I attack first? How do I make my escape? All this of course without running out of oxygen submerged or being detected!

At the end of the day, it's just how it was in real ife for those U-Boat crews, as so well told in 'Das Boot' - many many hours of creeping around, listening and waiting then when a target is identified that makes up for the long wait, sinking an enemy vessel can be quite an art. Stick with it, it's immensley rewarding once you get into it.

Shout out any questions you have, there are plenty here who will be happy to help you out.

Happy Hunting! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

sdcruz
08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi

You can use time compression (TC) to speed up the time to get to your destination - use the + key and the - key.