PDA

View Full Version : Yak 9 anyone?

deskpilot
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
just started crashing the Yak 9 as a change from crashing the tempest. Love the rear visibility. does anyone else like this plane and have any tips for me, please?

deskpilot
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
just started crashing the Yak 9 as a change from crashing the tempest. Love the rear visibility. does anyone else like this plane and have any tips for me, please?

Mr_Zooly
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
be gentle with your fire button as there arent many rounds in the Yaks.

LEBillfish
10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
The 3 I believe was considered to be the best of the Yak's....9 was much heavier.

K2

crucislancer
10-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Aside from the ammo issue, trim is your friend. You need to trim the rudder quite a bit. Stay away from the one with the 45mm cannon unless you plan on going tank hunting. It's a fun plane once you get used to it, though I prefer the Yak-3 if available.

dirkpit7
10-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't exaggarate people - Yaks have 120 rpg for the cannon, as much as Spitfire IX. Sure it's just one cannon, but firing time should be about equal I guess. And the ShVak is fairly effective. The MG runs out of ammo quite fast though.

I like Yaks, especially the 1B. Rear view of the "bubbletop" models is probably the best for any fighter in the game.

Remember to adjust mixture: 80% at 3000+ m, 60% maybe 5-6000 m (can't remember for sure). When grey smoke starts to come out of exhausts, lower the mixture.

crucislancer
10-31-2008, 03:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
Don't exaggarate people - Yaks have 120 rpg for the cannon, as much as Spitfire IX. Sure it's just one cannon, but firing time should be about equal I guess. And the ShVak is fairly effective. The MG runs out of ammo quite fast though.

I like Yaks, especially the 1B. Rear view of the "bubbletop" models is probably the best for any fighter in the game.

Remember to adjust mixture: 80% at 3000+ m, 60% maybe 5-6000 m (can't remember for sure). When grey smoke starts to come out of exhausts, lower the mixture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's an exaggeration. For someone that was flying the Tempest a lot before, the Yak is going to seem like it's got a couple of pop guns with a light ammo load. Once you get used to it, it's not as much of an issue as before, but it's all perception. No doubt that the ShVAK is deadly, though.

You comment about the mixture reminded me about the supercharger. Go to stage 2 at 2000+ meters. I know there is a 3rd stage, but I don't usually go that high to switch.

dirkpit7
10-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, you're right, it doesn't have the punch that some planes have. But getting 2-3 kills in a sortie isn't a problem once you get used to it. Considering all fighters of the game, I'd say Yak's armament is average.

The good side is that if you learn to shoot effectivily in a Yak, gunnery feel easy in other planes with more guns and ammo.

crucislancer
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
The good side is that if you learn to shoot effectivily in a Yak, gunnery feel easy in other planes with more guns and ammo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true.

VW-IceFire
10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Yak series...partly I think because fewer people fly them online (except the Yak-3P) and they don't get seen as much so they are sometimes underestimated. The Yak-9s are all competitive against the opposition...particularly the 109 which you can mix it up with.

The Yak-9 is not a speed demon like the Tempest...you need to focus on keeping your speed within a range rather than as fast as she'll go (thats how you do it in the Tempest). Above certain speeds and its not as good...below its also not as good. So focus on keeping it between about 250 KPH IAS on the low end and 500 KPH IAS on the top end.

Also yes I completely agree that the Yak forces you to be a good gunner. Guns are centered so convergence is less of an issue...but you need to be damn accurate. So get in close and blast them. Use the cannon or machine gun...never both. Fortunately both weapons are effective and the machine gun in particular works well against 109s and other aircraft with liquid cooled engines. The FW190s need that 20mm ShVAK.

Woke_Up_Dead
10-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I like both the Yak 9 and 3, especially the late war versions. It's on the 1945 Yak 3's and 9's that I finally started getting some kills online. Super stable, great climbers, decent speed, and the 3 is a great turner too. Fantastic strong rudder on them, it almost feels like they could loop the loop lying on their side by using just the rudder. The earlier versions (1942) are a little less stable and more stall-prone.

deskpilot
10-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys, I am encouraged!
Cheers

M_Gunz
10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
ShVak doesn't have about 50% higher ROF than Hispano?

Pigeon_
10-31-2008, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
be gentle with your fire button as there arent many rounds in the Yaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you talking about?? My Yak always ends up full of rounds... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, change to stage 2 at 3000 m rather than 2000 m.

Buzzsaw-
10-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Salute

Yaks, except Yak-3 or Yak-9U, have very poor speed above 4000 meters, they are not competitive up there at all.

Overall, they also have quite a fragile structure, especially the wings. Just a few MG hits in the wings can cripple their turn performance. So be careful not to let yourself be hit.

Overall for me, its a choice between the Yak-3, which turns a little better, or the Yak-9U, which is a little faster and more durable.

If you want a plane which is fast and packs a punch, the Yak-9UT has a 37mm in the nose which serves up pretty much an instant kill if it hits. If you can find the model on a server. This plane was extremely rare. (I'm not talking about the Yak-9T, which was the most common Yak model made, it also had the 37mm, but was considerably slower the the 'U' model)

One thing about the Yaks: They all have a good instant turn at around 350 kph, but if you let the speed get too low, especially in the early war vs 109F4's, you can find yourself in a lot of trouble. They work best with the speed over 300 kph.

halfcool
10-31-2008, 09:58 PM

JtD
11-01-2008, 03:37 AM
For folks like me who fly the Yak only occasionally the biggest problem comes from the prop spinning the wrong way round. Every rudder correction I'm used to goes the wrong way round and leaves the impression of flying a very wobbly plane. Once you get the hang of it, the Yaks are pretty good.
It's funny that people in this topic point out how good the 1944/1945 models are. What's the point in that? Obviously it's easier to shoot a plane down if you have 3 years of technological advantage over him.
The Yak-9's have a turning advantage over all German contemporaries and will outclimb the 190. They retain their speed fairly well after a dive, owing to the good aerodynamics. My personal favorite for 1943 are the Yak-9D and the Yak-9T. The former has giant fuel tanks, which you'll only need to partially fill. Think of it as a Mustang. 25% is enough for most jobs, 50% is plenty. With these low fuel loads, it is competitive even with the 109G-2, the most potent dogfight opponent. The Yak-9T, with a similar amount of fuel = higher percentage, will sacrifice some performance but packs the lovely NS 37mm cannon - a cannon with great punch and lovely ballistics. It has, however, a rather low rate of fire. But as a single hit is usually a kill, it is worth it.
I usually fly the Yak-9 in B'n'Z, which is what I do with almost any plane. I'd recommend a little nose up trim to maintain a reasonable high speed elevator response. It's not much better at high speed than a 109 and no comparison to the Tempest. The early Yaks have a break up speed of 700 km/h IAS, which is ok but not good. The Yak-9u has 800 km/h, which is the best of all Soviet fighters but still only good.
The problem with B'n'Z is that your initial alt is limited to something like 4-5 km, because the Yak sucks above that alt (Yak-9u up to 6-7km). The vertical maneuvers also mean you'll repeatedly have to change the charger settings, which are switched between 2200-2700 meters depending on speed. The slower, the lower (ram effect). You can set mixture to 70% as you take off and won't have to worry about it much more. Also 700 km/h is a little bit low for decent B'n'Z. If the opponent dives, you can't follow. With the poor armament you'll also need more than a single pass (unless you take the 9T, there you'll only need to hit).
Considering that you can stay on any Germans tail for almost as long as you like, it is tempting to give up B'n'Z at some point to just chase the victim down. It works, unless a teammate of him shows up to help him.
I wouldn't recommend to dogfight two guys at the same time. The plane performance is so close that they are likely to succeed before you do. So get out of there. The most effective way against the 109 is a shallow dive, against the 190 a shallow climb. As a last resort measure you'll still have the superior turn, even though it isn't worth a lot against two opponents. If you turn, turn at speeds between 300-350 km/h IAS. Below 320, use flaps.

dirkpit7
11-01-2008, 03:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
ShVak doesn't have about 50% higher ROF than Hispano? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL-2 Wingman:

ShVak 120 rpg (Yak-9) 9 sec
Hispano MkI 120 rpg (Spit IX) 10 sec

So ShVak has higher ROF, but not 50%.

LEBillfish
11-01-2008, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigeon_:
BTW, change to stage 2 at 3000 m rather than 2000 m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3.3-3.4 even better.....yet adjusting your mix through the entire altitude range helps a lot. Used to be you would actually lose performance if you ran too rich or lean too long. Not sure if that still holds true in the sim like it used to as due to habit I avoid it, yet be prepared to start adjusting that mix from 3.5km and up.

K2

ElAurens
11-01-2008, 09:25 AM
In the original IL2 I flew the Yak 9U a lot. It's an often over looked aircraft as most go straight for the La5 or La7.

Yak 9 vs. 109 G2 is actually a very good match up.

dirkpit7
11-01-2008, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigeon_:
BTW, change to stage 2 at 3000 m rather than 2000 m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3.3-3.4 even better.....yet adjusting your mix through the entire altitude range helps a lot. Used to be you would actually lose performance if you ran too rich or lean too long. Not sure if that still holds true in the sim like it used to as due to habit I avoid it, yet be prepared to start adjusting that mix from 3.5km and up.

K2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Pigeon meant supercharger, not mixture.

dirkpit7
11-01-2008, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
In the original IL2 I flew the Yak 9U a lot. It's an often over looked aircraft as most go straight for the La5 or La7.

Yak 9 vs. 109 G2 is actually a very good match up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. The most memorable fight online I've ever had was recently, me in Yak-9 and the opponent in 109G-2. We were alone in the UKD3 server and the fight took probably closer to half hour. I was initially slighly disadvantaged, and took some hits but no serious damage. After a long time of dodging his bullets, losing and regaining visual contact, climbing, diving and manoeuvring, I managed to hit a good burst from quite long distance. He was damaged but didn't go down. I didn't see him anymore as we both headed to home field. We exchanged compliments for the good fight. It was a draw, and felt like a fitting outcome for such a great fight.

crucislancer
11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

Yak 9 vs. 109 G2 is actually a very good match up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. The most memorable fight online I've ever had was recently, me in Yak-9 and the opponent in 109G-2. We were alone in the UKD3 server and the fight took probably closer to half hour. I was initially slighly disadvantaged, and took some hits but no serious damage. After a long time of dodging his bullets, losing and regaining visual contact, climbing, diving and manoeuvring, I managed to hit a good burst from quite long distance. He was damaged but didn't go down. I didn't see him anymore as we both headed to home field. We exchanged compliments for the good fight. It was a draw, and felt like a fitting outcome for such a great fight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those kinds of fights are great, and rare as well. I can recall one, also on UKDed3, where me and my opponent went at it for 5 minutes before the map changed, neither one sustaining damage from the other. The only differences were that I was in a La-5 and I was out of ammo!

And that's true about the La-5/7. Before I really got into the Yak, I was always going for the La series fighters if that was in the planeset. But, after getting a bad spanking while in a Yak-1 a few months back, I decided I should fly it more. I actually prefer it to the La-5/7 now.

TinyTim
11-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Some useful information, hints and tips about mid-war Yaks can be found in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4301046655?r=4301046655#4301046655) I stared some time ago.

Divine-Wind
11-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Beh, now I'm going to have to take up a Yak 9, otherwise I'll never be able to get to sleep.

I hope you're all happy.

Woke_Up_Dead
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
Some useful information, hints and tips about mid-war Yaks can be found in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4301046655?r=4301046655#4301046655) I stared some time ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thread. Somebody there mentions the darkened Yak gunsights and how hard it can be to pick targets out against the ground sometimes, does anyone have a solution for this?

Divine-Wind
11-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't groundpound? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
11-01-2008, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
Some useful information, hints and tips about mid-war Yaks can be found in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4301046655?r=4301046655#4301046655) I stared some time ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thread. Somebody there mentions the darkened Yak gunsights and how hard it can be to pick targets out against the ground sometimes, does anyone have a solution for this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope...

This is the worst on the Yak-9U and slightly less of a problem on the rest of the 9 series. The Yak-3 has a clear gunsight and the Yak-1 seem to be fine.

The Yak's aren't really ground pounders so just avoid it. Oh except the Yak-9B but thats a weird one.

M_Gunz
11-01-2008, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
The Yak's aren't really ground pounders so just avoid it. Oh except the Yak-9B but thats a weird one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about tracking AC targets during BnZ from above esp if they fly low (hard to get under & shoot).

Crikey2008
11-02-2008, 04:35 PM
9U has a phenomenal zoom climb in range and speed; a great turn circle; and a great initial climb rate making it one of the top fighters in il-2.

It gets through the altitudes quickly; hence the references to CEM in this thread. Because it reaches altitudes quickly the mixture and supercharger settings need to be watched closely since it runs rough very quickly once out of setting.

It keeps its momentum well and for this reason its best to use PP control to slow it (eg on approaches over the landing field - then full PP on landing). But its momentum is one of its strongest points as a fighter. I believe I've noticed that the FM gives a simulation of the Yak prop tips going supersonic as you reduce PP (the engine noise grows).

It has fragile areas in the wings; wing root and fuel tank and can break up easily in a fast dive if it's not controlled, but this may be common to all Yaks; only one mark had strengthened wings and I think it was the 9UT as mentioned above. Still, there are WW2 accounts of wooden Yaks diving fast onto German interceptors at a performance edge rate from a great altitude (probably good piloting rather than airframe strength).

Good armament as well.

One of my favourites of all the Yak marks.

WTE_Galway
11-02-2008, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:

Good thread. Somebody there mentions the darkened Yak gunsights and how hard it can be to pick targets out against the ground sometimes, does anyone have a solution for this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Authentic ??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In a recent thread elsewhere someone claimed the Russian sights were so bad pilots would remove them and paint an aiming reticule directly on the windscreen.

Back on topic ... I used to fly the big cannon yaks online occasionally just for fun, people didn't expect long range punch from a yak and would often do silly things like fly straight and level once they were a few hundred meters away from you allowing an easy long range snipe with the 37mm.

Erkki_M
11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Yak-9s have a warning light for low fuel at the left part of the front panel, next to the two lights that go off when your guns run out of ammo / get jammed.

Bremspropeller
11-04-2008, 05:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Yak's aren't really ground pounders so just avoid it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, "ground-ponder" may be the wrong word, but the 9T and 9K both were tank-hunters.

stalkervision
11-04-2008, 05:58 AM
I had yak for breakest the other day. No thanks. I am still digesting it from the day before.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif