PDA

View Full Version : Problem with dot range

AndyGW
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm having a problem trying to set my dot range and I'm beginning to think that maybe what im trying is not possible.

this is my dot range rcu batch file..
@a if mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 3 DOT 10 RANGE 3 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 8
@a ie mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 3 DOT 10 RANGE 0.01 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 0.01

I know this works because once I run it I can check the settings (all in console) and they match what I've set them to.

The problem is the DOT. Even though I set it to appear first it never does! For the enemy planes I want nothing but the dot to show up, but at present - with these settings - no dot shows up. Am I doing something wrong? (btw.. Im assuming the DOT is exactly that, a dot)

thanks
Andy

AndyGW
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm having a problem trying to set my dot range and I'm beginning to think that maybe what im trying is not possible.

this is my dot range rcu batch file..
@a if mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 3 DOT 10 RANGE 3 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 8
@a ie mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 3 DOT 10 RANGE 0.01 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 0.01

I know this works because once I run it I can check the settings (all in console) and they match what I've set them to.

The problem is the DOT. Even though I set it to appear first it never does! For the enemy planes I want nothing but the dot to show up, but at present - with these settings - no dot shows up. Am I doing something wrong? (btw.. Im assuming the DOT is exactly that, a dot)

thanks
Andy

antifreeze
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
> @a if mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 3 DOT 10 RANGE 3 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 8

I seem to remember that the order matters. Try putting DOT before COLOR.

DOT is the distance at which you can start to see a graphic for the aircraft. ie. if you set DOT to 2km, the aircraft would be completely invisible until that distance, then suddenly a fully formed aircraft would 'pop' into view. At 10km, the graphic will appear as a dark, noticable dot on most systems. A DOT distance of 25 (which I think is the maximum value) is usually a very faint, small smudge.

AndyGW
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
aha... that all makes sense to me now. Thanks. The problem has been I was expecting something else. I thought the 'dot' in question was either a red or blue single pixel (essentially the same as the dot in the range reading separating kilometers from meters). I didn't think it was actually the range at which the aircraft itself appeared.

Lurch1962
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Aircraft dots are actually 2 x 2 pixel boxes, with the top pair being lighter in tone that the bottom pair. If they were truly single-pixel dots, they'd effectively be four times harder to see! Imagine that...

AndyGW
02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
ok.. i've been messing around with this trying to get something that me and my squadmates are happy with. I want to get *some* indication of who is who without having loads of onscreen text. The best option for minimum clutter is just to display the range, but my squad now prefer not to have the range because we tend to just watch the numbers rather than the plane to determine optimum shooting distance. When I switch on Type I get Bf109 or FW190 etc and the ID gives 'Yellow 1, Red 2' etc, ie way too much screen clutter. Does anyone know a way of changing the Squad ID, Name or anything else so that it only shows a number, eg 1, 2 etc, or even better just a fullstop "."?