PDA

View Full Version : How kills are awarded online?



FatBoyHK
12-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Flying online it is not rare to receive "enemy aircraft destroyed" message which you have no clue where do they come from. Sometimes you got an enemy plane with a snapshot, he still fly as good as new, and managed to escape. But there is a decent chance that, a moment later, you will receive the message. So he really crashed? or it is actually a mistake, let say he landed successfully but counted wrongly as shot down ? or he logoff / kicked before landing ?

georgeo76
12-11-2004, 08:53 AM
If you damage an AC enough, when it lands, you still get credit for a destroyed AC.

Tully__
12-11-2004, 10:17 AM
If you damage an aircraft slightly then he later gets finished off by AA you also get credit.

FatBoyHK
12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgeo76:
If you damage an AC enough, when it lands, you still get credit for a destroyed AC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

even he landed very, very successfully?

and would I be told that I has just been counted as dead when I land? lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

F0_Dark_P
12-11-2004, 11:38 AM
i agree with you FatBoyHK the points system in il2 is a little muddled or fuzzy i just dont get it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Sir.Robin-1337
12-11-2004, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How kills are awarded online? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I shoot you, and you die.

FatBoyHK
12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir.Robin-1337:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How kills are awarded online? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I shoot you, and you die. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fly Mustang too, so it contradict with your famed theory of "mustang will never be shot down" ?

F0_Dark_P
12-11-2004, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir.Robin-1337:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How kills are awarded online? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I shoot you, and you die. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fly Mustang too, so it contradict with your famed theory of "mustang will never be shot down" ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>hehe WORD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

georgeo76
12-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes, I assume that the programmers figure that enough damage to an AC counts as destroyed because that AC will be flying no time soon.

If your the damaged AC, you won't notice any difference, the chat bar will even say "FatBoyHK has landed successfully". You'll get all your points too.



<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:

even he landed very, very successfully?

and would I be told that I has just been counted as dead when I land? lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kootenai
12-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I've always thought this system was kind of sketchy but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. It actually recreates the inflated kill claims that often existed in combat pretty well. I know different air forces had different standards for awarding kills, but think about how often we have read about inflated kill claims from a battle due to pilots damaging enemy planes and then losing sight of them and assuming they crashed, or seeing one diving away smoking and concluding that it would never make it back to base. Sometimes the record reflects that those planes weren't damaged as badly as the other side thought they were and that they did indeed make it back to base. When you think about it this way, the online scoring system combining "John Doe is RTB" with the "enemy aircraft destroyed" message the pilot who damaged John Doe's plane receives makes sense. In real life, the pilot who did the damage likely would have claimed a "probable" at least, and he may well have been given official credit for the kill and his squadron would have added it to their tally. They would have had no way of knowing that the enemy plane which had appeared to be a sure kill had in fact returned to base either to be repaired or parted out. Looking at it this way, the scoring system represents the "fog of war" and the often subjective and optimistic nature of kill claims quite well. Or at least that's the way I'll rationalize it from now on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FatBoyHK
12-11-2004, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, I assume that the programmers figure that enough damage to an AC counts as destroyed because that AC will be flying no time soon.

If your the damaged AC, you won't notice any difference, the chat bar will even say "FatBoyHK has landed successfully". You'll get all your points too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see, no wonder experienced player seem don't take too much care about the point they have in the ranking screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FatBoyHK
12-11-2004, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kootenai:
I've always thought this system was kind of sketchy but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. It actually recreates the inflated kill claims that often existed in combat pretty well. I know different air forces had different standards for awarding kills, but think about how often we have read about inflated kill claims from a battle due to pilots damaging enemy planes and then losing sight of them and assuming they crashed, or seeing one diving away smoking and concluding that it would never make it back to base. Sometimes the record reflects that those planes weren't damaged as badly as the other side thought they were and that they did indeed make it back to base. When you think about it this way, the online scoring system combining "John Doe is RTB" with the "enemy aircraft destroyed" message the pilot who damaged John Doe's plane receives makes sense. In real life, the pilot who did the damage likely would have claimed a "probable" at least, and he may well have been given official credit for the kill and his squadron would have added it to their tally. They would have had no way of knowing that the enemy plane which had appeared to be a sure kill had in fact returned to base either to be repaired or parted out. Looking at it this way, the scoring system represents the "fog of war" and the often subjective and optimistic nature of kill claims quite well. Or at least that's the way I'll rationalize it from now on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are proably right. While I agree with the genral idea of this scoring system, I think the amount of damage needed for a "proable" kill award should be tweaked a bit. I think, a least you should see your bandit smoking, or something has fallen off from it (like a rudder), before you can claim it as a porable.

But there are so many issue in this game that deserve attention before this one.